BRM Reviews the 1/16/2020 NXT UK (not good)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 1/16/2020 NXT UK (not good)

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 21st, '20, 21:00

A-KID vs. JOSEPH CONNERS- 6.75/10

FOOTAGE OF EDDIE DENNIS TAUNTING TRENT SEVEN AFTER TAKEOVER- good
Trent was held back by referees because he needed to be taken to the doctor, but he almost got to Eddie several times.

ALICIA TAYLOR INTERVIEWS MARK COFFEY & WOLFGANG AFTER TAKEOVER- fine
This is the first time I’ve ever heard these two sound happy.

JINNY/JAZZY GABERT RECAP PACKAGE- good for what it was. They announced that Jazzy will be wrestling Killer Kelly next week.

TONI STORM INTERVIEW FROM AFTER TAKEOVER- GREAT!
She’s definitely going heel soon. They did a good of turning her NXT Women’s Title shot at Worlds Collide 2020 into the next chapter in the story, too, so that match suddenly has some real meaning.

SID SCALA & JOHNNY SAINT MAKE AN ANNOUNCEMENT- There will be two qualifying matches for the four-way Cruiserweight Title match at Worlds Collide on NXT UK next week: El Ligero vs. Jordan Devlin, and Travis Banks vs. Brian Kendrick.

DAVE MASTIFF vs. KASSIUS OHNO- 4.75/10
This only went about eight minutes and just plain didn’t work for me. I don’t say this often, but this came off more like two ought of shape guys fighting than it did two big, intense bulls the way it was supposed to.

I know people used to complain about the “nothing happening” post-TakeOver shows, but I had no problem with them because I thought they did a great job covering the fallout and still gave us some good wrestling and with matches that often felt important due to being built up in storylines. This show didn’t do that. It was only thirty-six minutes, which is MUCH shorter than the usual run time of about an hour, it didn’t cover the fall-out of the biggest match on the show, and the two matches we got felt random and small. Not a good show.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3