Taynara Conti leaves NXT following disagreement

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

Taynara Conti leaves NXT following disagreement

Post by cero2k » Feb 7th, '20, 12:59

Source: f4wonline.com

First reported by Fightful and confirmed by our Dave Meltzer, NXT wrestler Taynara Conti left the company in mid-January after a disagreement.

As of now, it's unclear why Conti walked out with Fightful speculating it's financially related. Brazilian wrestling outlet WrestleBR posted a story that she refused to work the women's battle royal on January 15th edition of NXT and was out after that. They later confirmed she is still under contract.

Conti (real name Taynara Melo de Carvalho) no longer has any references to WWE or NXT in her Twitter bio other than her actual handle.

The 24-year-old signed with WWE in October 2016. The judo black belt and BJJ blue belt worked her first match in April 2017 and has been a fairly regular presence in the company ever since. She also competed in two Mae Young Classics and became the first female Brazilian to compete at WrestleMania as she was part of the 2018 women's battle royal.

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: Taynara Conti leaves NXT following disagreement

Post by cero2k » Feb 7th, '20, 13:01

cero2k wrote: Feb 7th, '20, 12:59 Brazilian wrestling outlet WrestleBR posted a story that she refused to work the women's battle royal on January 15th edition of NXT and was out after that.
that be such a weird thing coming from her, it's not like she had any standing to protect or anything. Maybe Vinny Mac saw her and wanted her to be in a lesbian angle with Lana and Liv

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 7th, '20, 13:43

cero2k wrote: Feb 7th, '20, 13:01
cero2k wrote: Feb 7th, '20, 12:59 Brazilian wrestling outlet WrestleBR posted a story that she refused to work the women's battle royal on January 15th edition of NXT and was out after that.
that be such a weird thing coming from her,
My best guess is that she's frustrated with her lack of movement. There are a number of people in the PC who seem stuck there and like they can never get anything other than undercard status on TV even though they seem relatively decent in the ring (she and Bononi are the first two that come to mind, though I'm sure there are others. Isla Dawn over in UK feels like she's in the same place).
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 7th, '20, 14:05

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 7th, '20, 13:43
My best guess is that she's frustrated with her lack of movement. There are a number of people in the PC who seem stuck there and like they can never get anything other than undercard status on TV even though they seem relatively decent in the ring (she and Bononi are the first two that come to mind, though I'm sure there are others. Isla Dawn over in UK feels like she's in the same place).
I think we don't see a lot of these complains since they're mostly people that were home grown and have no idea how to go into the indie scene, nor necessarily care about being pro wrestles outside of WWE, so for a lot of them, it's probably an easy paycheck, but it has to be hard for all the home grown over get beyond that point you're talking about when WWE keeps hiring more and more indie sweethearts

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Feb 8th, '20, 02:23

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 7th, '20, 13:43
cero2k wrote: Feb 7th, '20, 13:01
that be such a weird thing coming from her,
Yeah she had good potential as a dangerous heel and every time you see her it's "just not quite enough ", and then they do it over and over again. I've been watching the Stone Cold Podcasts and BSR Interviews and it seems like things were never like that so much way back then. At least everyone was used accordingly. Now there's 10,000 jobbers to the up and comers that never go anywhere...
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Feb 9th, '20, 06:42

Wasn't she teased to be in UE when they formed, and it went nowhere?

Again, the roster is so ridiculously overbloated that they just don't have time to feature everyone on a regular basis, which is crazy considering they tape at least almost TEN HOURS of content every week. Hell, there's barely enough time for the billion indy talent they have (and keep hiring).
cero2k wrote: Feb 7th, '20, 14:05I think we don't see a lot of these complains since they're mostly people that were home grown and have no idea how to go into the indie scene, nor necessarily care about being pro wrestles outside of WWE, so for a lot of them, it's probably an easy paycheck, but it has to be hard for all the home grown over get beyond that point you're talking about when WWE keeps hiring more and more indie sweethearts
I guess, but is it really paid better than whatever regular job they would have outside of wrestling?

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Feb 9th, '20, 09:17

Thelone wrote: Feb 9th, '20, 06:42 Wasn't she teased to be in UE when they formed, and it went nowhere?

Again, the roster is so ridiculously overbloated that they just don't have time to feature everyone on a regular basis, which is crazy considering they tape at least almost TEN HOURS of content every week. Hell, there's barely enough time for the billion indy talent they have (and keep hiring).
cero2k wrote: Feb 7th, '20, 14:05I think we don't see a lot of these complains since they're mostly people that were home grown and have no idea how to go into the indie scene, nor necessarily care about being pro wrestles outside of WWE, so for a lot of them, it's probably an easy paycheck, but it has to be hard for all the home grown over get beyond that point you're talking about when WWE keeps hiring more and more indie sweethearts
I guess, but is it really paid better than whatever regular job they would have outside of wrestling?
The exclusivity is just so silly though. I can understand saying "hey, here's a list of promotions you CAN'T work for", but I think moral would be so much better if they got to work even just one date a month somewhere else if they're not being used. Some wrestlers want to actually wrestle...

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 9th, '20, 13:31

Bob-O wrote: Feb 9th, '20, 09:17 The exclusivity is just so silly though. I can understand saying "hey, here's a list of promotions you CAN'T work for", but I think moral would be so much better if they got to work even just one date a month somewhere else if they're not being used. Some wrestlers want to actually wrestle...
it doesn't even have to be an 'exclusivity' thing. WWE already has loyal subjects with progress, evolve, or wxw. if it's a talent reason, then just send her get experience in those promotions; if it's a spacing reason, STOP HIRING PEOPLE!; If they just don't see anything in her, have no ideas for her, nothing, just let her (and the rest) go.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Feb 9th, '20, 18:07

It's just lazy/shitty writing. Even if they didn't have anything primary for her on her own, they could have used her martial arts background to make her the dangerous bodyguard of some heel...heck move her to SD and put her with Sasha and Bailey and just have her do that for them.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 9th, '20, 19:58

KILLdozer wrote: Feb 9th, '20, 18:07 It's just lazy/shitty writing. Even if they didn't have anything primary for her on her own, they could have used her martial arts background to make her the dangerous bodyguard of some heel...heck move her to SD and put her with Sasha and Bailey and just have her do that for them.
THIS! If nothing else it'd at least be fresh because when was the last time we saw a female heel with a bodyguard?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Feb 9th, '20, 20:06

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 9th, '20, 19:58
KILLdozer wrote: Feb 9th, '20, 18:07 It's just lazy/shitty writing. Even if they didn't have anything primary for her on her own, they could have used her martial arts background to make her the dangerous bodyguard of some heel...heck move her to SD and put her with Sasha and Bailey and just have her do that for them.
THIS! If nothing else it'd at least be fresh because when was the last time we saw a female heel with a bodyguard?
Especially with all of that "crazy tough guy Marine Lacy Evans" stuff they were constantly doing where she'd ALWAYS get the better of the 2 of them. Epitome of stupid careless lazy writing and booking.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 10th, '20, 09:38

i kinda feel we saw this recently with either tamina or nia. did't Bliss have a bodyguard for a while too?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 10th, '20, 10:49

cero2k wrote: Feb 10th, '20, 09:38
i kinda feel we saw this recently with either tamina or nia. did't Bliss have a bodyguard for a while too?
Oh yeah... although they portrayed it more as a friendship of equal acts than Nia being parts of Alexa's act like Wardlow is for MJF.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Feb 10th, '20, 14:29

Bob-O wrote: Feb 9th, '20, 09:17The exclusivity is just so silly though. I can understand saying "hey, here's a list of promotions you CAN'T work for", but I think moral would be so much better if they got to work even just one date a month somewhere else if they're not being used. Some wrestlers want to actually wrestle...
I don't think it's an exclusivity issue because most of the underneath guys/girls in NXT work the Florida loop, so they're not sitting on their ass at home doing nothing between training sessions at the PC.

Like BRM said, there's a complete lack of upward movement because WWE just keeps hiring anyone with the merest hint of indy fame and putting them in front of the homegrown people no matter what their level is. I always use Tyler Breeze to illustrate that because this is a guy who went from main eventing a Takeover (it was a 4-way, but still) and being groomed to be a main eventer (at that level at least, not saying that the guy was the next Rock or anything) to jobbing endlessly to the next hot new acquisition and dropping down the card until he got called up with no fanfare and ended up doing nothing of note.