AEW viewership down 12 percent this week, NXT narrows ratings gap

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Big Red Machine

AEW viewership down 12 percent this week, NXT narrows ratings gap

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 16th, '20, 13:22

Source: www.F4WOnline.com

By Paul Fontaine | @PaulAceFontaine | Feb 13, 2020 2:16 pm

Ratings are in for Wednesday's installment of the Wednesday Night Wars -- with AEW Dynamite taking the night with an average viewership of 817,000 to NXT's 757,000.

However, the Dynamite number was down 12 percent from last week while NXT dipped by just two percent.

In the 18-49 demo, AEW averaged a 0.3 rating, down 17 percent from last week, good for a 10th place finish on cable. NXT was up nine percent in the demo, averaging a 0.24, putting them 21st.

The NXT demo number represents one of their best showings since their first few weeks, and the gap of 0.6 between the two was the closest the WWE property has been since December 18 when they beat Dynamite.

In addition to people over 50, NXT also had a slight win in females 18-49 with a 0.18 to 0.16 advantage over AEW. Per usual, AEW's strongest category was men 18-49, where they had a 0.41 to 0.28 advantage.

In most other categories, the shows were either tied or within 0.03 of each other.

Miz and Mrs, which immediately followed NXT on USA, was down four percent this week, averaging 457,000 viewers. That was good for 49th on cable in the 18-49 demo with a 0.16 rating
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: AEW viewership down 12 percent this week, NXT narrows ratings gap

Post by cero2k » Feb 17th, '20, 09:11

this doesn't really explain it. AEW opened low because the lead in movie had bad ratings, but AEW kept going up and up all night and thus the average is low; meanwhile, NXT didn't actually close the gap, their ratings went down and down. It's technically AEW who closed the gap.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 17th, '20, 16:02

cero2k wrote: Feb 17th, '20, 09:11 this doesn't really explain it. AEW opened low because the lead in movie had bad ratings, but AEW kept going up and up all night and thus the average is low; meanwhile, NXT didn't actually close the gap, their ratings went down and down. It's technically AEW who closed the gap.
NXT "closed the gap" by retaining more of their previous week's audience than AEW did.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 17th, '20, 16:50

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 17th, '20, 16:02

NXT "closed the gap" by retaining more of their previous week's audience than AEW did.
so they did nothing, it was still the same hardcores.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 17th, '20, 18:36

cero2k wrote: Feb 17th, '20, 16:50
Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 17th, '20, 16:02

so they did nothing, it was still the same hardcores.
They put on a show last week and/or advertised a show this week that was more appealing to their viewers than the combinations of last week's Dynamite and the advertised card to this week's Dynamite was to AEW's viewers.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 18th, '20, 09:28

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 17th, '20, 18:36

They put on a show last week and/or advertised a show this week that was more appealing to their viewers than the combinations of last week's Dynamite and the advertised card to this week's Dynamite was to AEW's viewers.
if that was the case, they would had won the ratings. they didn't. they lost people during their show. AEW gained all night. NXT didn't really do anything different, they kept their same hardcores as usual. Yeah, they didn't lose as much, because there is no one left to lose, it was all their hardcores.
it was AEW who had low ratings due to having a bad lead in, but they came back. Averages don't forgive that, just like the overrun always helps nxt for their average.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 18th, '20, 12:13

cero2k wrote: Feb 18th, '20, 09:28
Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 17th, '20, 18:36

if that was the case, they would had won the ratings. they didn't. they lost people during their show. AEW gained all night. NXT didn't really do anything different, they kept their same hardcores as usual. Yeah, they didn't lose as much, because there is no one left to lose, it was all their hardcores.
it was AEW who had low ratings due to having a bad lead in, but they came back. Averages don't forgive that, just like the overrun always helps nxt for their average.
If you're going to blame AEW's low starton a bad lead in then you can make the same argument for NXT. What's in before them?
Do lead-in help? Yes. But if you do a good job hyping up your show, your fanbase should tune in at the beginning of the show, not late.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

XIV

Post by XIV » Feb 18th, '20, 12:44

This is still WWE's THIRD rated show that they're proud of beating.

NXT will always win long term, because if they really wanted to, WWE could put so much star power into NXT that AEW wouldn't stand a chance. WWE has a roster of well over 100 to draw from. AEW uses the same 20 guys to fill their shows each week. Depth will always win. There's only so many times that watching the same tag match is entertaining.

"Next week on NXT, The Rock will be appearing"

"Next week on NXT, Goldberg vs Adam Cole"

"Next week on NXT, Brock Lesnar will be turning NXT into Suplex City"

Believe me, if WWE wanted to do it.... they could. If they actually felt a true long term threat. Then watch those ratings spike.
Have A Nice Day!

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Feb 18th, '20, 14:39

XIV wrote: Feb 18th, '20, 12:44 This is still WWE's THIRD rated show that they're proud of beating.

NXT will always win long term, because if they really wanted to, WWE could put so much star power into NXT that AEW wouldn't stand a chance. WWE has a roster of well over 100 to draw from. AEW uses the same 20 guys to fill their shows each week. Depth will always win. There's only so many times that watching the same tag match is entertaining.

Believe me, if WWE wanted to do it.... they could. If they actually felt a true long term threat. Then watch those ratings spike.
Exactly. Could we really stop acting like there's even a way of there being anything to compare ?

We (should have ) always knew these rascals would never make much of a difference lol.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Feb 18th, '20, 17:57

Oh my god!!! The WEDNESDAY NIGHT WAR is getting SO CRAZY! I can't WAIT to see those NXT idiots with egg all over their bearded necks when AEW beats their asses again in the 9-14 year old demo, not that it matters because nobody is going to take the 44-89 demo from NXT and that's where all the money is at... fuckin' Boomers...

It's all just so stupid. To see the figures they're fighting over is embarrassing as a fan. Who's ratings can be less shitty this week? C'mon... where's the appeal to that? AEW blew everyone's minds when TNT extended their deal... is this where we're at? We're excited when wrestling's not shitty enough to get kicked off it's Network? Are we THAT bored as fans?

Of course nobody is going to give WWE an actual run for their money, but to say AEW hasn't made a difference is a little short sighted. There used to be NO wrestling on Wednesday nights... now it's the night I don't want to miss.

XIV

Post by XIV » Feb 19th, '20, 01:35

Bob-O wrote: Feb 18th, '20, 17:57 Oh my god!!! The WEDNESDAY NIGHT WAR is getting SO CRAZY! I can't WAIT to see those NXT idiots with egg all over their bearded necks when AEW beats their asses again in the 9-14 year old demo, not that it matters because nobody is going to take the 44-89 demo from NXT and that's where all the money is at... fuckin' Boomers...

It's all just so stupid. To see the figures they're fighting over is embarrassing as a fan. Who's ratings can be less shitty this week? C'mon... where's the appeal to that? AEW blew everyone's minds when TNT extended their deal... is this where we're at? We're excited when wrestling's not shitty enough to get kicked off it's Network? Are we THAT bored as fans?

Of course nobody is going to give WWE an actual run for their money, but to say AEW hasn't made a difference is a little short sighted. There used to be NO wrestling on Wednesday nights... now it's the night I don't want to miss.
THIS!

When TNA were doing double these numbers 8-10 years ago, people were slating them and the product and their ratings... yet, despite only getting half those numbers, people are crowing and congratulating AEW and fired up for this "war" against someone's C show.

At least TNA had the temporary balls to go head to head with Raw on Mondays.
Have A Nice Day!

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Feb 19th, '20, 08:10

XIV wrote: Feb 18th, '20, 12:44AEW uses the same 20 guys to fill their shows each week. Depth will always win.
The thing is that they do have depth, they just choose to use it on their Youtube B-show instead of mixing it up for Dynamite so it doesn't become stale, which is what has been happening lately. The show this week will have:

- A tag team schmozz to become #1 contenders, because rankings are for pussies
- Moxley vs. another guy from Inner Circle (kinda)
- Elite vs. Lucha Bros part 18567
- Cody vs. Wardlow
- A women's match, because gotta have one in their format

Maybe they'll add Baker being a bitch to Schiavone and PAC holding someone else hostage for variety.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Feb 19th, '20, 10:44

Thelone wrote: Feb 19th, '20, 08:10 The thing is that they do have depth, they just choose to use it on their Youtube B-show instead of mixing it up for Dynamite so it doesn't become stale, which is what has been happening lately.
I think they'll figure it out. I mean, I've read your past critiques of the shows, and while I think the criticism holds weight, I don't think it's as bad/stale as you do. Something we'll just have to agree to disagree on, I still very much look forward to the show every week!

That said, I do feel like they're hitting the next stage of growing pains. I think they're getting gassed on trying to make everyone happy, trying to get EVERYONE they've established some sort of TV time every week, trying to cram something into their show each week to tick the boxes of each target audience. The show that promised to "not be WWE" is getting pressure from the fans and their network to operate like they have 7 hours of TV a week. I can understand where it might be tricky to pull the trigger on something fresh when you're trying to meet 7,000 other demands and feel like you don't have the time. It's easy to say, "let's change it up slightly this week, and we'll do THAT next week..."

I think the "freshness" could be cured if they stepped back and looked at Pre-USA NXT or even MLW, that it's OK to not touch on EVERYTHING you've got going on every single week... especially when you're only working with quarterly ppvs. Guys aren't "buried", and the fans don't swear you off for having some guys stay home a week or two so you can work other's into the show, as long as you're clear in the promotion of what to expect next week. Just because you're live, doesn't mean everyone has to be there.

I also get the impression that The Bucks/Cody have all their angles mapped out from start to finish, broke down week to week. Which is great, but kind of eye opening when what looks good on paper after one sitting is what you're going to be doing for the next 12 weeks (or more). Like I said, I think they'll figure it out.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 19th, '20, 11:25

XIV wrote:
THIS!

When TNA were doing double these numbers 8-10 years ago, people were slating them and the product and their ratings... yet, despite only getting half those numbers, people are crowing and congratulating AEW and fired up for this "war" against someone's C show.

The difference between AEW and TNA is that TNA was clearly incompetent. Say what you will about AEW (and I've sure said A LOT), but AEW would not have gone chasing the Hogans and Flairs and Nashes time after time. They use the guys who they could find a good role for (like TNA did with Angle and Christian) but they wouldn't have brought in Booker T just to have Booker T in their roster. TNA got slammed because when you look at the raw talent they had, they should have been doing SOOO much better, but weren't due to incompetent management.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

XIV

Post by XIV » Feb 19th, '20, 13:30

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 19th, '20, 11:25
XIV wrote:
THIS!

The difference between AEW and TNA is that TNA was clearly incompetent. Say what you will about AEW (and I've sure said A LOT), but AEW would not have gone chasing the Hogans and Flairs and Nashes time after time. They use the guys who they could find a good role for (like TNA did with Angle and Christian) but they wouldn't have brought in Booker T just to have Booker T in their roster. TNA got slammed because when you look at the raw talent they had, they should have been doing SOOO much better, but weren't due to incompetent management.
AEW don’t have the roster to compete right now, not enough stars.

But numbers are numbers and WWE has too many multi year contracts and AEW probably won’t last 4/5 years.... I just don’t see it having longevity.
Have A Nice Day!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 19th, '20, 21:34

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 18th, '20, 12:13
If you're going to blame AEW's low starton a bad lead in then you can make the same argument for NXT. What's in before them?
Do lead-in help? Yes. But if you do a good job hyping up your show, your fanbase should tune in at the beginning of the show, not late.
sure, don't disagree, but it's still better that they tune in late and stay, than they tune in on time and leave.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 19th, '20, 21:37

XIV wrote: Feb 19th, '20, 01:35

yeah, the balls of a drunk who's had enough liquid encouragement. It's nothing to be proud off or worth showing off

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 19th, '20, 21:38

XIV wrote: Feb 18th, '20, 12:44 This is still WWE's THIRD rated show that they're proud of beating.

exactly. rely on old people, like they do for all their shows.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 19th, '20, 22:50

cero2k wrote: Feb 19th, '20, 21:37
XIV wrote: Feb 19th, '20, 01:35

yeah, the balls of a drunk who's had enough liquid encouragement. It's nothing to be proud off or worth showing off
This.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 19th, '20, 22:52

cero2k wrote: Feb 19th, '20, 21:34
Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 18th, '20, 12:13
sure, don't disagree, but it's still better that they tune in late and stay, than they tune in on time and leave.
Yeah, probably, but having less of a problem than NXT's problem means that AEW still has a problem.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation