cero2k
Site Admin

Day-to-Day Quote Topic

Post by cero2k » Feb 4th, '20, 19:25

hell of a promo

Thelone

Re: Day-to-Day Quote Topic

Post by Thelone » Feb 5th, '20, 18:05

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 4th, '20, 10:54 Did they mostly "revolve around the babyfaces' story?" Yes. But to jot see the stories in their matches is utterly baffling to me. They ALWAYS worked a limb.
I actually think the complete opposite of that. Outside of that random jobber match, the only big match I can recall where they work a body part was at Takeover Respect (I think, the one with the first DRTTC) with Revival attacking Balor's knee... which he completely forgot selling in the main event, which was even more jarring after one of my favorite non-big matches just before between Breeze and Crews where he targeted Crews' back who sold it nicely and had to change his gameplan to win.

Back to the Revival and those big Takeover matches. Keep in mind that I have only seen until TO Toronto because that's when I tapped out with NXT, so here's a summary of my reviews of their matches :

vs. Enzo & Cass @ TO London : I'm kinda vague on this one even though I was actually there for the show and reviewed it "properly" several months later. (***1/2)

vs. American Alpha @ TO Dallas : Good match overall, but felt indyrrific because... they traded moves without trying to tell a story and the finish came out of nowhere. (***)

vs. American Alpha @ TO The End : About as indyriffic as the previous one and even worse with the beginning that felt overly choregraphed. (**1/2)

vs. DIY @ TO Brooklyn : Revival came out to almost no reaction and were barely booed during the "epic" presentations. I actually mention the jobber match here, saying that this one is the complete opposite because Revival randomly decided to attack Gargano's knee after TWENTY MINUTES even though they did jack shit to that limb before, which led to the abrupt finish. (***1/2)

vs. DIY @ TO Toronto : Same shit, different time. Commentary actually mentions that Gargano's knee is not fully healed and yet, the Revival isn't taking advantage in the slightest despite Gargano being the FIP for the vast majority of the match. They finally try something with a belt shot to the knee during the third fall and... it led nowhere and Gargano just made Wilder tap out like it was nothing. (***)

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 5th, '20, 19:22

I think we must have watched completely different matches.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 7th, '20, 09:30

wasn't sure if Funny topic, Quote topic, or Sad Reality topic

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 17th, '20, 18:42

Meltzer on WWE's "Ruthless Aggression" documentary:
I've never seen a WWE doc getting such vehement negative reviews as the one on the Ruthless Aggression era. I've been reading Jim Ross' book that should be out soon, and let's just say his version of the same events not only is 180 degrees different but in some cases even acknowledges the mindset that led to the issues.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Feb 19th, '20, 12:59

Shayna putting Karen in her (his) place...

...I love it. Not just for the character work here, but for the bad-guy wrestle-lady telling this guy how to parent. My kids aren't shielded from bad words, they know what they are and that good kids don't say them. Kids will never learn right from wrong if they're never exposed to the "wrong".

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 19th, '20, 21:30

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Feb 20th, '20, 09:08

The drastic difference between Jericho and Brandy's reactions is hilarious.
Jericho: Nice detail, not the best figure of me, but definitely not the worst. I give it 3 stars, nice job!
Brandi: *sobbing*

I also love how uncomfortable it is that somebody else is merchandising The Bucks... I feel like they were waiting for the cameras to go off so they could ask the real questions... "How much will these cost?"... "How much of that are we gonna see? I can already tell you it's not enough..."

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 20th, '20, 14:05

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Feb 21st, '20, 08:41

cero2k wrote: Feb 20th, '20, 14:05
WWE stopped letting their guys appear on non-WWE affiliated podcasts months ago. If she somehow slipped through a sympathy-gap in that, or if she's on a legend's deal or something, it's not surprising at all they'd pull their guys from a show who's host is most recently associated with AEW...

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 21st, '20, 09:23

Bob-O wrote: Feb 21st, '20, 08:41
WWE stopped letting their guys appear on non-WWE affiliated podcasts months ago. If she somehow slipped through a sympathy-gap in that, or if she's on a legend's deal or something, it's not surprising at all they'd pull their guys from a show who's host is most recently associated with AEW...
they pick and choose, I think it's always good as long as the podcaster is still seen as a wwe-person, but it takes nothing to lose that.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 21st, '20, 13:37

Does Vickie Guerrero really need a podcast?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 21st, '20, 13:59

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 21st, '20, 13:37 Does Vickie Guerrero really need a podcast?
she's a middle age retired woman with adult kids. what else is she gonna do with her time?

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Feb 21st, '20, 23:51

cero2k wrote: Feb 21st, '20, 09:23
Bob-O wrote: Feb 21st, '20, 08:41
they pick and choose, I think it's always good as long as the podcaster is still seen as a wwe-person, but it takes nothing to lose that.
I thought they closed the doors when Lillian started hers... like, this was all very recent, maybe just before Vickie was on Dark? Victim of bad timing, but good timing to be a victim?
Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 21st, '20, 13:37 Does Vickie Guerrero really need a podcast?
Why not? I've always loved Vickie out of character. No joke, I've rewatched the episode of Dark with her and Janella on it several times because I liked the commentary so much. She did ONE EPISODE, and I'm comfortable saying she's my favorite female color commentator of all time. She had great chemistry with those guys, I really liked Janella too.
WWE missed the ball on her.

I didn't even know she had a podcast until this story, and now I'm inclined to look it up.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 23rd, '20, 12:25

cero2k wrote: Feb 21st, '20, 13:59
she's a middle age retired woman with adult kids. what else is she gonna do with her time?
Read a book? Get a hobby?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 28th, '20, 12:18

Bob-O wrote: Feb 20th, '20, 09:08

Jericho: Nice detail, not the best figure of me, but definitely not the worst. I give it 3 stars, nice job!

I also love how uncomfortable it is that somebody else is merchandising The Bucks... I feel like they were waiting for the cameras to go off so they could ask the real questions... "How much will these cost?"... "How much of that are we gonna see? I can already tell you it's not enough..."

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 2nd, '20, 09:16

I mean, WWE doesn't even cancel events for decapitated journalists, but this could be interesting.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 2nd, '20, 10:18

cero2k wrote: Feb 28th, '20, 12:18

This is a bad marketing campaign, and here's why:
All of the cool stuff they make you want to do with the Jericho figure requires removing it from the box.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 2nd, '20, 10:39

Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 2nd, '20, 10:18
All of the cool stuff they make you want to do with the Jericho figure requires removing it from the box.
real collectors always buy two of each, one to unbox, on to keep mint

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Mar 2nd, '20, 12:44

Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 2nd, '20, 10:18
cero2k wrote: Feb 28th, '20, 12:18

People who keep their collectibles in their boxes or put them in displays and don't use them as intended (posing/playing with action figures, reading comics) are stupid idiots, and I'll die on that hill. If you don't attempt to set up your Jericho figure the way the manufacturer intended that's your problem.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.