BRM Reviews the 3/9/2020 Raw (DREW MCINTYRE IS A HORRIBLE PERSON!)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 3/9/2020 Raw (DREW MCINTYRE IS A HORRIBLE PERSON!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 10th, '20, 20:41

BECKY LYNCH PROMO- not good
Yeah, she put over Shayna’s in-ring prowess to build up the match and said she was going to overcome Shayna, her “toughest challenge yet,” but most of the individual pieces here were not good at all.
Becky Lynch called Shayna Baszler a “black hole of charisma” and said that she was a “robot.” Well that’s pretty clearly not true. She also said that only now does she “see clearly that you are the biggest threat to come my way.” Is Becky not watching NXT at all? Because that’s what it feels like.
She also implied that Baszler is coming to avenge Ronda Rousey’s defeat because “normal people like me don’t beat trained killers like you… except I did.” Um… Becky? In kayfabe, you’re a trained killer, too. You’re a professional combat athlete, remember?

REY MYSTERIO JR. vs. ANGEL GARZA (w/Zelina Vega)- 6.75/10

KEVIN OWENS IS CONFRONTED BY ROLLINS, MURPHY, & AOP AS HE ARRIVES AT THE BUILDING- instead of just jumping him, Rollins has to dramatically walk out from behind his guys and offer him popcorn first as a reference to Owens throwing popcorn at him at last night’s PPV, because that’s definitely how a real person would act.

THEY SHOWED THE SAME RHEA RIPLEY PROMO FROM NXT- I have the same problems with it that I had in my NXT review.

NXT WOMEN’S TITLE HYPE SEGMENT- not so good
Charlotte cut a good promo on Rhea, playing off of the video package. Rhea came out to interrupt her. Charlotte’s promo had been some good, “real sports”-esque build, but the moment she had Rhea to interact with, Charlotte turned back into a cartoon character. Rhea cheap-shotted her and floored her. Neither of them came off as likable, although Charlotte was definitely more annoying.

BOBBY LASHLEY vs. ZACK RYDER (w/Curt Hawkins)- squash
Lana’s absence from ringside was not only not ignored, but it was actually explained (she’s off filming a movie). Is this really Raw that I’m watching?

I really hate it when they tell us someone is “in action, next!” It makes it so clear that the match will be a squash that it makes me want to fast forward through it. Just put up a proper match graphic to at least maintain some semblance of a sports-like feel.

SETH ROLLINS TRIES TO RECRUIT ALEISTER BLACK- didn’t like it
Aleister is back in his f*cking room now. He’s about to start speaking when he is interrupted by someone actually knocking on the door. He stands up, revealing the mood lights in the background and the fact that the background is drapery, not a real wall, which makes the whole setting feel like what it actually is, which is a set, and therefore phony and put-on. Contributing to this problem is the fact that Rollins and Murphy just entered from offstage, without actually showing us that there is a door, once again making things feel like a set.
Rollins offers to help Black with his numbers game problem if Black joins him. Black refuses, so Seth makes a threat. Black calmly says that because Seth “did knock on the right door,” Aleister is happy to fight him tonight. Rollins glares at him, and then just leaves. We’ve already seen Rollins and his crew jump a dude, so why aren’t Seth and Murphy jumping Black right now?
I liked that Seth gave Black a logical reason for why Black would want to join him, but Seth comes off like way too much of a cartoon character, and the way this was framed hurt Aleister in my eyes, revealing his dark mystique to be nothing more than a fake put-on via WWE’s marketing and production people, rather than Aleister just going to a dark room because he likes being in dark rooms and cutting a promo into a camera.

DREW MCINTYRE vs. ERICK ROWAN- F*CKING ATROCIOUS SEGMENT!
Drew McIntyre, our supposed hero, took the cage with Erick Rowan’s pet spider in it, took the ring steps, and smashed it! He really did that! What a heel! Most bullies won’t go so far as to MURDER SOMEONE’S PET. And Drew did it for ABSOLUTELY NO F*CKING REASON! WHAT THE F*CK?! Whoever pitched this in the Creative meeting should have been sent to mandatory counseling the moment they finished speaking!

KABUKI WARRIORS PROMO- bad
This went on WAY too long, and I’m already more than tired of this walking cartoon gimmick.

KABUKI WARRIORS vs. LIV MORGAN & NATALYA- 4.25/10
Nattie was the babyface in peril and had her injured arm worked over. Ruby Riott came out to ringside, but Liv was not distracted. Then, a good five minutes later, Sarah Logan, a second potential adversary, came out to ringside, but Liv was not distracted. Then Ruby and Logan started fighting each other just because, and now, with her two potential adversaries fully focused on each other and thus not a danger to her… Liv gets distracted and decides that she has to join in, leaving poor Nattie alone to get beaten. That was quite dumb.

AJ STYLES CHALLENGES THE UNDERTAKER TO A MATCH AT WRESTLEMANIA- This didn’t get anywhere near the pop I expected it to get. And the didn’t gasp or go “OOOOOOH! I CAN’T BELIEVE HE SAID THAT!” when AJ used Taker’s shoot name, or when he name-dropped Michelle McCool and flat-out said that she was Taker’s wife. AJ finally got a bit of that sort of reaction when he said “Undertaker, I’m gonna make sure you die in that ring at WrestleMania!”
Out of nowhere, AJ starts talking about how Michelle McCool is “conniving” and bad for The Undertaker or something like that. I don’t get what they’re going for here. Why can’t we just have AJ Styles vs. The Undertaker? Why do we have to start throwing in this kind of stuff. Having Michelle McCool as a wife will not help The Undertaker’s character in any way, and will definitely hurt its mystique a bit (yeah, yeah, there was Sara for a while, but only with the American Badass, as opposed to any of the more mystical incarnations of the Undertaker gimmick).

CHARLY CARUSO INTERVIEWS RANDY ORTON- Randy didn’t say anything, which was good, as he came off as unpredictable and dangerous. Also, I didn’t realize quite how big the height discrepancy between them was. Charly doesn’t even come up to Randy’s shoulders.

WWE 24/7 TITLE MATCH: Riddick Moss(c) vs. Cedric Alexander- 2/10
Riddick Moss wins a short match. Tom Phillips said that Moss’ impressive victories have made people less likely to challenge him, thus explaining why there is no more mob chasing after the champion. That’s a nice thought, but if potential challengers are scared of his in-ring prowess, you would think that would make them more likely to try to jump him backstage, but we haven’t seen any of that, either.

MVP CUTS A PROMO AND EDGE ARRIVES- AWESOME segment
Even before Edge actually showed up, MVP was out pitching himself as a man who can bring Edge back to championship glory…provided that Edge does everything he tells him to, of course. Edge arrived at the arena and MVP was all “oh goody! Here he comes now!”
Edge came out and snatched the mic out of MVP’s hands and cut a promo demanding that Orton come out. MVP kept trying to recruit Edge, telling him he was “focusing on the wrong things.” MVP made the mistake of asking Edge “how is your wife?” so Edge turned around and speared him… and while this was happening, Randy charged down the ramp and got the drop on Edge, because Edge has been- just as MPV warned- focusing on the wrong thing. Edge made his own comeback and hit Randy with an RKO, and then started doing the crazy-eyes. Edge got a chair but Randy bailed. MVP tried to attack Edge but Edge caught him in a standing head-and-arm choke (or whatever) and choked him out while starting at Orton, then gave MVP an RKO on the chair and gave him a one-man con-chair-to (and then another when the fans chanted for it). Edge eventually charged after Orton and we went to commercial.
This was BY FAR the best thing on this show so far, and I’ll be shocked if we see anything better in the third hour. If I were booking WWE, MVP would now be off TV until the Raw after Mania, at which point he would return with a client to try to get revenge on Edge for him, setting up a program where Edge puts that guy over.

BROCK VS. MCINTYRE VIDEO PACKAGE- awesome!

CHARLY CARUSO TRIES TO INTERVIEW EDGE- good
Edge demands to know where Randy is. Charly tells him that Randy left the building. Edge looked very disturbed by this news, like he had lost what might have been his only chance to get revenge on the man who tried to maim him and who attacked his wife last week.

ALEISTER BLACK vs. SETH ROLLINS (w/Buddy Murphy)- 4.5/10
This big “first time ever” match… is wasted with a f*cking DQ, just to get to an eight-man tag after some babyfaces make the save. Just book the f*cking match you want to book! Don’t throw away match-ups and waste our time with frustrating DQs!

SETH ROLLINS, BUDDY MURPHY, & THE AUTHORS OF PAIN vs. THE STREET PROFITS & THE VIKING RAIDERS- 7.5/10
In the middle of this match they went to a split-screen to show us Owens getting attacked earlier. You might as well just put up a graphic on the bottom of the screen that says “the result of this match will be the babyfaces winning due to interference by Kevin Owens.
Wait… holy sh*t Owens didn’t show up and interfere! They actually let the heels win clean in what was great, long action-packed match!

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- fine
Here comes Owens. He beats the heels up and stuns a bunch of people winds up getting taken out from behind by Rollins and hit with three curb stomps. A fine angle to end the show with.

This was an extremely mixed bag of a show. I really hope that the build for the women’s matches gets better. Also, WHY ARE THEY MAKING DREW MCINTYRE A TERRIBLE PERSON?!
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews the 3/9/2020 Raw (DREW MCINTYRE IS A HORRIBLE PERSON!)

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 11th, '20, 09:11

Oh stop it. That spider was clearly just a fake from a Halloween store and everyone knows it.
Last edited by KILLdozer on Mar 11th, '20, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 11th, '20, 09:22

KILLdozer wrote: Mar 11th, '20, 09:11 Oh stop it. That spider was clearly just a dalr from a Halloween store and everyone knows it.
that doesn't mean Rowan didn't love it!

I was hoping he'd become Hagrid from Harry Potter

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 11th, '20, 14:49

cero2k wrote: Mar 11th, '20, 09:22
KILLdozer wrote: Mar 11th, '20, 09:11 Oh stop it. That spider was clearly just a dalr from a Halloween store and everyone knows it.
that doesn't mean Rowan didn't love it!

I was hoping he'd become Hagrid from Harry Potter
I was hoping for the Wade Keller theory, which was that the pet was actually a cactus and Rowan bled because he was too dumb to lick it up correctly.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 11th, '20, 17:33

Oh I just remembered...I meant to say before...why did they overhype and overpush the RKO on Beth Phoenix? It's an every day finisher that never keeps guys down more than 3 seconds and they're fine the next week. Plus, Woman or not, it's Beth Phoenix. Not Maria from 2005. I get it was a great huge spot but it was nowhere as serious as possibly leaving her severely hurt.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 11th, '20, 19:25

KILLdozer wrote: Mar 11th, '20, 17:33 Oh I just remembered...I meant to say before...why did they overhype and overpush the RKO on Beth Phoenix? It's an every day finisher that never keeps guys down more than 3 seconds and they're fine the next week. Plus, Woman or not, it's Beth Phoenix. Not Maria from 2005. I get it was a great huge spot but it was nowhere as serious as possibly leaving her severely hurt.
it was 100% because it was man on woman violence, but it's Randy Orton, he made a career of RKOing women.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 11th, '20, 19:28

cero2k wrote: Mar 11th, '20, 19:25
KILLdozer wrote: Mar 11th, '20, 17:33 Oh I just remembered...I meant to say before...why did they overhype and overpush the RKO on Beth Phoenix? It's an every day finisher that never keeps guys down more than 3 seconds and they're fine the next week. Plus, Woman or not, it's Beth Phoenix. Not Maria from 2005. I get it was a great huge spot but it was nowhere as serious as possibly leaving her severely hurt.
it was 100% because it was man on woman violence, but it's Randy Orton, he made a career of RKOing women.
I get that because they made it obvious but this is Beth Phoenix, not when he RKOed Stephanie or someone like cute clueless Maria 15 years ago lmao...they of coursed shoved that part home, but it wasn't even a co-chair-to or RKO on the chair lol.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 11th, '20, 19:33

Which, as Dozer is pointing out, is problematic when you want me to take to these women seriously as athletes. They can't be tough when you want them to be tough but then become delicate flowers when you need one of them to get bumped in a men's program (NXT had this issue with Candice LeRae last year).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 11th, '20, 20:47

Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 11th, '20, 19:33
Which, as Dozer is pointing out, is problematic when you want me to take to these women seriously as athletes. They can't be tough when you want them to be tough but then become delicate flowers when you need one of them to get bumped in a men's program (NXT had this issue with Candice LeRae last year).
My point even more over is really....it was an RKO ...RKO.

A standard every day finisher. Literally. Don't act like she could be seriously hurt off something like that when people take finishers including that one all week every week. It wasn't punt kicking in the head. It wasn't the DDT Off the barricade onto concrete. It wasn't RKO on a standing chair.

The whole "everyone gathered around her SOOO WORRIED AND CONCERNED!, was just way too ridiculous. I like what they did, don't get me wrong, but there's no reason they shouldn't have acted like she'd walk it off and be fine the next day and even be on NXT that Wednesday..

WE DON'T SELL FINISHERS LITERALLY FOR DAYS! EVER LMAO.

Kane Chokeslams The Undertaker and we srr him standing the next segment or later that night. Lita DDTS Trish and she walks to the back after the match. STEVE AUSTIN STONE COLD STUNS VINCE MCMAHON and we see him losing it all night.

Randy Orton RKOS anyone else and they get up later and they're DEFINITELY FINE AND PISSED OFF ABOUT IN DAYS!.

Beth Phoenix can NOT ALMOST GET KILLED FROM A STANDARD FINISH!

The further I go into this the more it exposes itself. Hell, after Randy Orton RKOED Stephanie 8 years ago or whenever she was probably fine next week. Again, try to take the man out then Rko his wife. Sure, everyone knew it was coming but it didn't change the impact of it. Then she's seemingly so fucked up from it.

We just can't do things like this in wrestling.