The Revival Are Now Free Agents

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

The Revival Are Now Free Agents

Post by cero2k » Apr 10th, '20, 09:11

src: https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/wwe- ... ase-308556

his story was updated at 10 AM Eastern.

WWE announced Friday morning that they have granted The Revival their immediate release:

"Effective today, Friday April 10, 2020, WWE and The Revival have agreed on their immediate release from WWE. We wish them all the best in their future endeavors."

According to our Bryan Alvarez on the January 31st edition of Wrestling Observer Live, the North Carolina-born duo made up of Scott Dawson (David Harwood) and Dash Wilder (Daniel Wheeler) had asked for their release in January for a second time in two years.

The team had reportedly turned down five year renewals and haven't been on WWE TV since losing in a no. 1 contender fatal four way on the January 31st SmackDown. Since then, they worked four house show matches with their last being on March 1st.

Dawson's contract was either up or about to be up while Wilder initially had a few months added to the end of his contract due to previous time off due to injuries. At this point, it's unknown whether the two have a non-compete clause and if so, for how long.

The 32-year-old Wilder has been in wrestling since 2005, signing with WWE and starting at the Performance Center in 2014. The 35-year-old Dawson began in 2004 and started at the Performance Center in 2012. After working with Garrett Dylan as a partner and going the singles route, Dawson and Wilder were paired up shortly after Wilder's signing.

Starting as The Mechanics, the team changed their name in February 2016 to The Revival and won two NXT tag team titles before being called up on the Raw after WrestleMania in 2017. They won the Raw tag team titles twice and the SmackDown titles once, becoming the first WWE triple crown tag team champions. They also briefly co-held the 24/7 championship.

They have also been filing for their own trademarks as of late with WWE attempting to counter. From the March 2nd and 9th editions of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter:

"WWE and The Revival are battling for intellectual property rights since it appears The Revival is leaving next month with AEW looking to be the likely destination. WWE has filed for trademarks on the terms The Mechanics, which was the name they used before the Revival and the term “No Flips, Just Fists.” The team was trying to get a trademark for the latter term.

The Revival has filed for trademarks for the terms “Top Guys,” “Say Yeah,” and “No flips. Just fists.” They already filed for the term “Forever the Revival,” which means they can use the FTR branding that the Young Bucks used years ago on BTE and in ROH when they would have people chant “F*** the Revival” based on the idea at that time The Revival was the team people were considering as possibly better than the Young Bucks."

It is assumed they are likely AEW-bound given the company's propensity for tag team wrestling, but that is simply speculation at this point.

Neither man has commented publicly at this point, but Dawson did tweet the following Thursday night:

Serujuunin

Re: The Revival Are Now Free Agents

Post by Serujuunin » Apr 10th, '20, 19:34

Good for them, though it is unfortunate that WWE never could really use them to their full potential.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Apr 10th, '20, 20:20

This just goes back to what I recently said about how just stupidly negligent and inept they are at handling talent and creating stars and crafting rounding out divisions with multiple top acts- there's no absolutely no reason these guys shouldn't have been at least in constant contention, as well as winning multiple titles.

But, if your name isn't, The New Day, Usos, Charlotte, Becky Lynch, Seth Rollins or Roman Reigns-you really don't matter. I'm going to exclude Bailey because it took them FOREVER to find something right to do with an organically over woman that people loved. Let's not forget Lesnar, but I'll get back to that one.

Ok, she may not have been as over on RAW as a standard "perfect friendly style " of face, but people loved her and it was simple booking they needed to at least make things work properly and they couldn't even do that right. Damage the character. Damage the character. Damage the character. Hardcore match with Alexis Bliss to further damage the character.

Alright fuck it we're done with her for the moment who cares.

There's also this problem of, which I essentially just said- there's no room at the top."

They have their chosen acts they believe in who they can get behind, and in their eyes, more don't really come around like them often for years.

If that wasn't the case, your tag division wouldn't be run and dominated by New Day and Usos who are breaking title records every other month because no one else gets the big runs. Charlotte wouldn't have 12 titles in 3 years or less, but they won't get her out the picture and actually put others in.

New Day is way over done and played out but Usos got some fresh life when they changed their act up and they're definitely great -but they've essentially turned everyone else into jobbers because when they always win, others constantly lose by design and proxie.

You CAN'T book a company like this.

TLC would never have existed or become so big at the time if they just went with 2 teams.

It was always going to be Rollins or Reigns v Lesnar because their pigheaded stubborn and one sided booking was never going to allow for anything else.

Corbin is an attempt to do things right but in the wrong way. Yeah, people hate him BECAUSE THEY DON'T APPROVE OF THE SPOT HE'S CONSTANTLY IN. Not, because he's a great heel and they appreciate his work and they want to see him fucked over.

But they won't stop and keep repeating with him. He is the new heel version of Roman Reigns. He's been chosen and they won't stop and don't care what people think.

Asuka is one of the few exceptions they had with someone being close to a revolutionary new star- someone they immediately got behind who was constantly sky rocketed and people jumped on it.

After time, she needed a change and went heel and people loved it because she was clearly superior and completely able to beat others legitimately in fair fights, but chose the easy way out. Brand new life.

Then she had to lose to Charlotte because they JUST CAN'T have anyone else on top when theu already had their big timers.

Don't give me that timeless bit about "her English ", because that wasn't something that couldn't be worked around and there was no excuse for how they used her-it was essentially backwards booking- "awh yeah this Legendary established top star Asuka will be PERFECT to really help get this rising star Charlotte on the map!"

...no.

They still could have salvaged this, because idc what a certain , grand crimson robot says, the pairing of Asuka and Kairi Sane as a heel team is one of the best original ideas they had in a long time. Sure, they can be a little heavy in their annoying heel schtick, but they easily could have won both titles AND the tag titles and went on to singlehandedly steal every show with their matches they would have put on if given the chance. I told Bob-O this should have been their new "2 woman power trip", and it would have been hot.

If booked correctly, who could have legitimately beaten in a fair or unfair match?

Oh nevermind, because Asuka can't defeat Becky Lynch whose reign and character are way overdone. Kairi Sane couldn't win the royal rumble because Charlotte had to be at the top.

Now, here we are, with no new established top acts in any division whatsoever, and another is gone.

They won't fall, but they don't have good times ahead nor will they make changes-UNLESS the make the most of current circumstances and capitalize on their new 2 top champions.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Apr 10th, '20, 23:46

KILLdozer wrote: Apr 10th, '20, 20:20 This just goes back to what I recently said about how just stupidly negligent and inept they are at handling talent and creating stars and crafting rounding out divisions with multiple top acts- there's no absolutely no reason these guys shouldn't have been at least in constant contention, as well as winning multiple titles.

But, if your name isn't, The New Day, Usos, Charlotte, Becky Lynch, Seth Rollins or Roman Reigns-you really don't matter. I'm going to exclude Bailey because it took them FOREVER to find something right to do with an organically over woman that people loved. Let's not forget Lesnar, but I'll get back to that one.

Ok, she may not have been as over on RAW as a standard "perfect friendly style " of face, but people loved her and it was simple booking they needed to at least make things work properly and they couldn't even do that right. Damage the character. Damage the character. Damage the character. Hardcore match with Alexis Bliss to further damage the character.

There's also this problem of, which I essentially just said- there's no room at the top."

They have their chosen acts they believe in who they can get behind, and in their eyes, more don't really come around like them often for years.

If that wasn't the case, your tag division wouldn't be run and dominated by New Day and Usos who are breaking title records every other month because no one else gets the big runs. Charlotte wouldn't have 12 titles in 3 years or less, but they won't get her out the picture and actually put others in.

New Day is way over done and played out but Usos got some fresh life when they changed their act up and they're definitely great -but they've essentially turned everyone else into jobbers because when they always win, others constantly lose by design and proxie.

TLC would never have existed or become so big at the time if they just went with 2 teams.

It was always going to be Rollins or Reigns v Lesnar because their pigheaded stubborn and one sided booking was never going to allow for anything else.

Corbin is an attempt to do things right but in the wrong way. Yeah, people hate him BECAUSE THEY DON'T APPROVE OF THE SPOT HE'S CONSTANTLY IN. Not, because he's a great heel and they appreciate his work and they want to see him fucked over.

But they won't stop and keep repeating with him. He is the new heel version of Roman Reigns. He's been chosen and they won't stop and don't care what people think.

Asuka is one of the few exceptions they had with someone being close to a revolutionary new star- someone they immediately got behind who was constantly sky rocketed and people jumped on it.

After time, she needed a change and went heel and people loved it because she was clearly superior and completely able to beat others legitimately in fair fights, but chose the easy way out. Brand new life.

Then she had to lose to Charlotte because they JUST CAN'T have anyone else on top when theu already had their big timers.

Don't give me that timeless bit about "her English ", because that wasn't something that couldn't be worked around and there was no excuse for how they used her-it was essentially backwards booking- "awh yeah this Legendary established top star Asuka will be PERFECT to really help get this rising star Charlotte on the map!"

...no.

They still could have salvaged this, because idc what a certain , grand crimson robot says, the pairing of Asuka and Kairi Sane as a heel team is one of the best original ideas they had in a long time. Sure, they can be a little heavy in their annoying heel schtick, but they easily could have won both titles AND the tag titles and went on to singlehandedly steal every show with their matches they would have put on if given the chance. I told Bob-O this should have been their new "2 woman power trip", and it would have been hot.

If booked correctly, who could have legitimately beaten in a fair or unfair match?

Oh nevermind, because Asuka can't defeat Becky Lynch whose reign and character are way overdone. Kairi Sane couldn't win the royal rumble because Charlotte had to be at the top.

Now, here we are, with no new established top acts in any division whatsoever, and another is gone.

They won't fall, but they don't have good times ahead nor will they make changes-UNLESS the make the most of current circumstances and capitalize on their new 2 top champions.
I agree with most of this, but I have one nitpicky thing with Charlotte. I don't necessarily disagree with her being in the title picture, and winning, most of the time because she's good enough to warrant the spot. If she was less talented, and it was clearly more a case of her being pushed because she's tall and blonde and her last name is Flair, then I might have a gripe, but she is legitimately one of, if not the best, female superstar the company has, and probably has had in who knows how long.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Apr 11th, '20, 00:21

Serujuunin wrote: Apr 10th, '20, 23:46
KILLdozer wrote: Apr 10th, '20, 20:20 This just goes back to what I recently said about how just stupidly negligent and inept they are at handling talent and creating stars and crafting rounding out divisions with multiple top acts- there's no absolutely no reason these guys shouldn't have been at least in constant contention, as well as winning multiple titles.

...no.

I agree with most of this, but I have one nitpicky thing with Charlotte. I don't necessarily disagree with her being in the title picture, and winning, most of the time because she's good enough to warrant the spot. If she was less talented, and it was clearly more a case of her being pushed because she's tall and blonde and her last name is Flair, then I might have a gripe, but she is legitimately one of, if not the best, female superstar the company has, and probably has had in who knows how long.
Oh that goes without saying but you can't have JUST ONE TOP WOMAN. I hate the guys that say "Awh, bwah! She's just there because Ric Flair is a real smooth talker! Again with her and her father getting her top spots." I honestly really don't think of Ric Flair when I see her, because somehow, they've separated them, but it's not that's undeserving of a good spot...but think back to 2005-2006. Cena WOULD NEVER have worked on top (so well), for lack of a better term, or as he did, without the Ortons, Edge, HHH, Shawn Michaels, and others around the same level. It was definitely a heavy pro-Cena time, but there was always people you never knew who could break out and become next...even Umaga was hot and ready...I mean...we were younger of course.

At the same time though, take away age and experience, that doesn't change the fact that during a big time period of upper carders and main eventers...there was a very highly populated title scene.

Opposed to just now "Charlotte Flair and Becky Lynch. "

We've also even said it before-She has a look...the right look. So did Batista. I mean...I mean Charlotte is TALLER than Sasha Banks and plenty others in the division, but even still none are close to her level and that's by design. Going back to the above, you can't ever even have any credible contenders when one or two is a class of their own and ALWAYS go over in situations even when they shouldn't, and ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY SHOULDN'T, at the expense of others. Becky Lynch and Charlotte could get double teamed individually by Asuka and Kairi Sane for two months, then still turn around and wib in singles matches against them on the following PPV.

In closing- it's their own pigheaded minimalist booking that fucks them over and IS fucking them over all the time.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

XIV

Post by XIV » Apr 11th, '20, 03:55

I'd like them to do a little work with the NWA. I think it would just be amazing to have them there. But the logical choice is AEW or a period in Japan.
Have A Nice Day!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 11th, '20, 06:51

there is no way that AEW or NWA or even ROH would go for him, but Cornette needs to be their mouthpiece

XIV

Post by XIV » Apr 12th, '20, 10:00

cero2k wrote: Apr 11th, '20, 06:51 there is no way that AEW or NWA or even ROH would go for him, but Cornette needs to be their mouthpiece
Cornette has already said he wouldn't do it.
Have A Nice Day!