Impact Wrestling 5.12 Review: Moose vs Suicide!

All Impact Wrestling (FKA TNA/GFW 2017) Reviews and Discussions
cero2k
Site Admin

Impact Wrestling 5.12 Review: Moose vs Suicide!

Post by cero2k » May 15th, '20, 09:46

Impact Wrestling
May 12, 2020
Nashville, TN

Opening video - It started as a promo for the #1 contendership tournament for the Impact World championship that starts tonight. However, Moose interrupted the video, called in the former voice of TNA, Barry Scott, to do the introduction. The video became a Moose highlight reel, listing his accolades and featured old footage of Christopher Daniels, Frankie Kazarian, Bobby Roode, Bully Ray, Jeff Hardy, Jeff Jarrett, Dixie Carter, and Hulk Hogan putting him over. This was a hell of an intro.

World Championship #1 Contender first round match
Hernandez vs Madman Fulton (w/oVe) - 6.5/10
This was much better than I expected, I'm not a fan of 2020 Hernandez, he was all gassed up vs Elgin and Moose, but here, against a hoss that is as slow as him, they meshed up good enough. Fulton looked like a beast for most of the match, but then Hernandez made a comeback, took out the Crist brothers and won with a Supermex Splash.

I'm also not fully annoyed that Hernandez won, since oVe is still going through their breakdown storyline.

Michael Elgin Promo - He cut a promo saying that he should be the #1 contender, but Impact keeps putting speed bumps on his way to the championship. He said that whatever happens to the talent on that way will be on Impact's hands.

oVe Reaction - Backstage, Fulton was going crazy over losing. Fulton and Dave argued, while Jake tried to calm them down. Crazzy Steve walked up and told oVe that they seemed to be done and kind of implied that he could lead oVe. Dave Crist vs Crazzy Steve for next week.

Joseph P. Ryan walked up and said that it was offensive for crazy people to be calling others ‘crazy’.

Kylie Rae vs Tasha Steelz -6.5/10
Good, short match, and even in defeat, a good debut for Steelz. Match was mostly that Rae chased the STTF almost from the beginning, and managed to lock it in after the third try and won.

Rohit Raju Promo - Another AWESOME promo by Rohit. It was about change coming to Impact now that he will become the #1 Contender. He said that he had been there for 3 years and he had not one t-shirt, but now everyone would realize how good he is. He said there is no more Desi Hit Squad, only the Desi Hitman Rohit Raju.

Backstage, Susie walked up to Kylie Rae. Susie didn’t remember Kylie, so they did some stuff about names. Pointless skit.

Kimber Lee vs Havok - 6/10
Good match, you can tell these two knew each other, they had good chemistry together, something that I don't always see from Havok. The match was hard hitting and back and forward, Lee got a lot of good offense, but they kept Havok looking strong in the power department. The one thing I'm so sure about is Kimber Lee winning by using brass knucks, I mean I have no reason to believe she came in as a babyface, specially since Havok kinda turned face when she killed James Mitchell.

Also, halfway through the match, Nevaeh once again showed up. Both Havok and Kimber Lee acknowledged her. Commentary implied that someone in Havok's past is bringing them in. Could be someone trying to get revenge of Mitchell's death.

We got another great Kiera Hogan vignette. She’s calling herself ‘The Hottest Flame’.

Locker Room Talk w/Ken Shamrock - We got another episode of Locker Room Talk, with special guest, Ken Shamrock. Swinger and Shamrock have a past and Shamrock remembers. Madison Rayne asked about the last problems that Shamrock has been involved in, to which Shamrock said that people keep coming for him.

Shamrock said that he is now focused on the Impact World championship, but suddenly, Michael Elgin walked up and attacked Shamrock with a chair, delivered a con-chair-to, and walked away.

Sami Callihan Promo - We got a promo by Sami Callihan. He talked about Elgin, who according to Sami, has always been trying to copy Sami’s career, except he always fails. Callihan said that next week, he collides with Elgin and that he’ll do whatever it takes to be champion again.

World Championship #1 Contender first round match
Trey Miguel vs Rohit Raju - 8/10
Fast paced, back and forward match. X-Divisiony, but with a lot more mat wrestling. They were both great, but Rohit is just so much better, I honestly believe that if this show had been live, or at least, they could change the result after the reception of Rohit's promos from the last week, that maybe he would had taken the win.

Rohit threw a fit after the match.

The Deaner Kwaranteen Skit - We got another video of Cody Deaner during his ‘Kwaranteen’, this time talking about loneliness and mental health during social isolation. He said he calls his fellow wrestlers on the phone, which was more like cutting promos on the phone. We got some footage of Cody learning how to dance and doing DDP Yoga. He also tried to wrestle a tree and the invisible man. These are funny.

The North's Quest for a challenge - Over in Canada, we got another match from The North. Before that however, Page cut a promo saying that he hired someone to get them competition. It was another team of geeks. Page is enjoying himself, while Alexander is getting tired of not having real competition.

Impact Tag Team Champions The North (Ethan Page & Josh Alexander) defeated The Smoes to retain their titles
Another comedy squash. Page superkicked one of The Smoes and knocked him out with one move. They did a Weekend At Bernie’s match, having the unconscious Smoe pretend to participate in the match. Alexander tagged in and killed his opponent with a powerbomb into the knee, an airplane toss, and Page finished him with a top rope body press into Alexander’s backbreaker. The North then hit their finisher and won. This was at least funny. Can’t wait for some real competition either.

Drunk Rosemary Skit - Rosemary was at the bar trying to figure out her Tarot fortune and talking to Mr. Mundo. John E. Bravo walked up. They argued about who missed Taya the least. She wondered if Bravo was the ‘love’ that the cards predicted.

Impact Plus Flashback Moment of the Week was AJ Styles vs Matt Hardy from Victory Road 2011.

Bey/Swinger/Mack Skit - Backstage, Swinger and Chris Bey had a discussion, with the latter adding some bad blood between himself and Willie Mack

Swinger found Mack and told him that he was getting a big head since he won the X-Division title and told Mack that he was going to add him to the Royal Humble and win the X-Division title. Mack agreed and made the challenge for next week.

Also set for next week is Rhino vs. Ken Shamrock and Michael Elgin vs. Sami Callihan in the #1 Contendership tournament. Also, XXXL vs TJP & Fallah Bahh where the winners will become the next contenders for the Tag Team titles.

TNA World Championship Match?
Self-Proclaimed TNA World Champion Moose vs Suicide - 8.5/10
During his entrance, Moose demanded that ring announcer, David Penzer, make special title match announcements for tonight.

This was surprisingly good given the random pairing. I don't know who is under the Suicide mask right now, but suspect it's TJP. This was fast paced, Suicide wasn't made to look like an X-Division chump, he had a great amount of speed based offense, and Moose, being a unworthy of being a champion, which he self proclaimed as, had to rely on cheating to retain the title against someone who'd be arguably on a lower tier than him.

Given the storyline with the TNA Championship, a lot of recently released wrestlers like Eric Young and ECIII were named as people that could come to tell Moose what they thought about him proclaiming himself the champion. Maybe more hints hints.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
Good show by Impact. A positive start to the #1 Contender’s tournament, a great main event title defense, and two good debuts for the Knockout’s Division. I barely noticed that there were no people there.

Big Red Machine

Re: Impact Wrestling 5.12 Review: Moose vs Suicide!

Post by Big Red Machine » May 15th, '20, 12:45

cero2k wrote: May 15th, '20, 09:46 I don't know who is under the Suicide mask right now, but suspect it's TJP.
Hidden text.
It's YOU, the player, back to get revenge on Jeff Jarrett and LAX.

Just kidding. It's Caleb Konley (assuming Wikipedia can be trusted)
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 15th, '20, 15:00

Big Red Machine wrote: May 15th, '20, 12:45
cero2k wrote: May 15th, '20, 09:46 I don't know who is under the Suicide mask right now, but suspect it's TJP.
Hidden text.

I remember Caleb being when he was still with Impact, I can't imagine he came back for this right now, but maybe.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 15th, '20, 15:04

cero2k wrote: May 15th, '20, 15:00
Big Red Machine wrote: May 15th, '20, 12:45
Hidden text.

I remember Caleb being when he was still with Impact, I can't imagine he came back for this right now, but maybe.
CageMatch.net also says it's him, but it's possible they're just copying from Wikipedia, which doesn't have anything int he way of evidence, but lists Konley as playing suicide into 2020.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 17th, '20, 18:51

Big Red Machine wrote: May 15th, '20, 15:04
CageMatch.net also says it's him, but it's possible they're just copying from Wikipedia, which doesn't have anything int he way of evidence, but lists Konley as playing suicide into 2020.
oh ok, nice. they did tape in Atlanta and Nashville last, and I think he's from the area