Drew Gulak no longer under WWE contract

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Big Red Machine

Drew Gulak no longer under WWE contract

Post by Big Red Machine » May 17th, '20, 13:12

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/drew ... act-311136

By Bryan Rose | @br26 | May 16, 2020 6:29 pm

This story was updated at 11:50 PM Eastern.

Drew Gulak is no longer under WWE contract.

Pro Wrestling Sheet was the first to report that Gulak had been released from his contract. However, PWInsider reported that Gulak’s contract expired, rather than him being released. Our Dave Meltzer confirmed Gulak is no longer with the company and that his contract expired. Meltzer said he heard they were working on a renewal, Gulak asked for more money, and WWE chose to not move forward.

Gulak has been moved to the alumni section of WWE.com.

Gulak had just wrestled Daniel Bryan in a losing effort in an Intercontinental title tournament match on Friday's SmackDown. The two had been a team following the February's Elimination Chamber when Bryan was left impressed by Gulak's performance.

He joined WWE in 2016, becoming part of the new cruiserweight division that was the centerpiece of 205 Live. Adopting the gimmick of a wrestler who hated the high flying nature of the division, he became a prominent character on the show, winning the Cruiserweight championship at Stomping Grounds on June 23 of last year.

After losing the title in October, Gulak was moved to the SmackDown brand and was mainly used as an enhancement talent until the storyline with Bryan started.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Re: Drew Gulak no longer under WWE contract

Post by Big Red Machine » May 17th, '20, 13:13

Please, please, please come to ROH/NJPW!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 17th, '20, 18:49

Big Red Machine wrote: May 17th, '20, 13:13 Please, please, please come to ROH/NJPW!
given the exposure he got, i can totally see him going somewhere worth wild.

XIV

Post by XIV » May 18th, '20, 04:04

Weird. They literally still used him recently and in a mid-profile thing.
I would've thought with talent dropping daily, they'd offer him a small 90 day extension or something just to put some guys over and be a body.
Have A Nice Day!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 18th, '20, 08:52

XIV wrote: May 18th, '20, 04:04 Weird. They literally still used him recently and in a mid-profile thing.
I would've thought with talent dropping daily, they'd offer him a small 90 day extension or something just to put some guys over and be a body.
he's part of the IC title tournament, but if he was asking for more money, they were not going to extend anything.

For once I agree with WWE, if you're firing a ton of people, you CAN'T give raises to anyone

XIV

Post by XIV » May 18th, '20, 10:34

cero2k wrote: May 18th, '20, 08:52
XIV wrote: May 18th, '20, 04:04 Weird. They literally still used him recently and in a mid-profile thing.
he's part of the IC title tournament, but if he was asking for more money, they were not going to extend anything.

For once I agree with WWE, if you're firing a ton of people, you CAN'T give raises to anyone
Ah, I was unaware of the extra money request, in which case, fine. Wrong time to be asking for this and not smart. He'd have been better off extending his countract short term on his current money and then seek to negotiate when the times are better.

He'd fit well in most places if they're hiring.
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 18th, '20, 11:00

XIV wrote: May 18th, '20, 10:34

Ah, I was unaware of the extra money request, in which case, fine. Wrong time to be asking for this and not smart. He'd have been better off extending his countract short term on his current money and then seek to negotiate when the times are better.

To my knowledge, WWE doesn't do short-term deals with people who aren't old or Brock. If he actually wanted out, it's a better diplomatic move to say "I'd like to stay but I want a raise" then to just say "I don't want to work for you anymore."

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

XIV

Post by XIV » May 18th, '20, 12:02

Big Red Machine wrote: May 18th, '20, 11:00
XIV wrote: May 18th, '20, 10:34

To my knowledge, WWE doesn't do short-term deals with people who aren't old or Brock. If he actually wanted out, it's a better diplomatic move to say "I'd like to stay but I want a raise" then to just say "I don't want to work for you anymore."
It's not like he's been massively mis-used or anything, so he's a little got the nous to be diplomatic. But I'd be asking for a short-term deal of 6 months maybe. Just helps each other out.
Have A Nice Day!