WWE bans use of the buckle bomb

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Big Red Machine

WWE bans use of the buckle bomb

Post by Big Red Machine » May 31st, '20, 08:58

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/wwe- ... omb-312231

By Josh Nason | @joshnason | May 30, 2020 12:05 pm

WWE has banned the use of the buckle bomb, otherwise known as a power bomb into the turnbuckles.

The decision was first reported by PWInsider and verified by our Bryan Alvarez.

It's unclear why the decision was made now, but an April 20th Raw match featured such a move delivered by Nia Jax to Kairi Sane that drew significant criticism as Sane's head hit the middle turnbuckle awkwardly.

The most well known incident with the move was at 2015's WWE Night of Champions pay-per-view as then-WWE Champion Seth Rollins delivered the buckle bomb to Sting, injuring his neck. It was later learned the WWE Hall-of-Famer had spinal stenosis and while not blaming Rollins, he said on a podcast with Ric Flair that he was lucky "a catastrophe" didn't happen that night.

The buckle bomb joins the piledriver, chair shots to the head, and several other moves on the current banned list. It's possible the move could return someday as the shooting star press and Rollins' curb stomp both were allowed back after briefly being banned.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Serujuunin

Re: WWE bans use of the buckle bomb

Post by Serujuunin » May 31st, '20, 12:39

Sounds like it’s not the buckle bomb that’s responsible, but Nia Jax. Hmm...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 31st, '20, 13:10

Serujuunin wrote: May 31st, '20, 12:39 Sounds like it’s not the buckle bomb that’s responsible, but Nia Jax. Hmm...
Well...

Rollins was the one who did it to both Sting and Balor (although the Balor one being on the barricade made it different). But banning NIa Jax is probably a good idea in general.

That being said, I think wrestlers need to start telling Nia "no, I'm not taking that bump from you" if it's not a spot where they are taking their own bump. It's the whole "Rob Van Dam is a klutz" thing: Should Rob be kicking people in the face? No. But after a certain point, if you haven't learned to put your hand up when RVD is going to kick you in the face, part of it is on you.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 31st, '20, 14:22

Yeah...if it's injured others why let Nia Jax go through with it? That's on management as well first and foremost. Don't ok one of your most dangerous and unsafe using a move that's had high risk rates in the past. I wanna say Cena got it too...or was that a broken nose from the flying knee?
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » May 31st, '20, 14:51

Big Red Machine wrote: May 31st, '20, 13:10
Serujuunin wrote: May 31st, '20, 12:39 Sounds like it’s not the buckle bomb that’s responsible, but Nia Jax. Hmm...
Well...

Rollins was the one who did it to both Sting and Balor (although the Balor one being on the barricade made it different). But banning NIa Jax is probably a good idea in general.

That being said, I think wrestlers need to start telling Nia "no, I'm not taking that bump from you" if it's not a spot where they are taking their own bump. It's the whole "Rob Van Dam is a klutz" thing: Should Rob be kicking people in the face? No. But after a certain point, if you haven't learned to put your hand up when RVD is going to kick you in the face, part of it is on you.
Watching Balor’s, it didn’t even look that nasty at first until you scrutinized it a bit (at least for me).

And if I were a wrestler I would not be taking any bumps from Nia Jax beyond a simple slam or throw (which even still I’m convinced she can hurt someone doing that).

How long until they acknowledge she’s hurting people and do something about it. -_-

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » May 31st, '20, 14:52

KILLdozer wrote: May 31st, '20, 14:22 Yeah...if it's injured others why let Nia Jax go through with it? That's on management as well first and foremost. Don't ok one of your most dangerous and unsafe using a move that's had high risk rates in the past. I wanna say Cena got it too...or was that a broken nose from the flying knee?
That was 100% the flying knee. I remember it vividly.

And I agree. Don’t let your injury factory perform high risk bumps on people.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 31st, '20, 17:21

Serujuunin wrote: May 31st, '20, 14:52
KILLdozer wrote: May 31st, '20, 14:22 Yeah...if it's injured others why let Nia Jax go through with it? That's on management as well first and foremost. Don't ok one of your most dangerous and unsafe using a move that's had high risk rates in the past. I wanna say Cena got it too...or was that a broken nose from the flying knee?
That was 100% the flying knee. I remember it vividly.

And I agree. Don’t let your injury factory perform high risk bumps on people.
Anybody got the brainbuster trademarked lately? Let's give her that too!

XIV

Post by XIV » Jun 1st, '20, 15:02

Should’ve been banned after Sting. A long time coming.
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 1st, '20, 15:08

XIV wrote: Jun 1st, '20, 15:02 Should’ve been banned after Sting. A long time coming.
I don't know. We never heard of anyone getting hurt off of it in ROH, IWA-MS, PWG or anywhere else Rollins was doing it (or Michael Elgin, for that matter).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 1st, '20, 16:24

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 1st, '20, 15:08
XIV wrote: Jun 1st, '20, 15:02 Should’ve been banned after Sting. A long time coming.
I don't know. We never heard of anyone getting hurt off of it in ROH, IWA-MS, PWG or anywhere else Rollins was doing it (or Michael Elgin, for that matter).
i think the key is not have old wrestlers taking it, and untrained wrestlers perform it

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 1st, '20, 18:36

cero2k wrote: Jun 1st, '20, 16:24
i think the key is not have old wrestlers taking it, and untrained wrestlers perform it
That might be right. You could argue if it wasn't Sting, an injury wouldn't have happened, maybe don't do it on the barricade like Balor, and just don't let Nia Jax do shit like this in general.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jun 2nd, '20, 01:06

cero2k wrote: Jun 1st, '20, 16:24
100% this.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 2nd, '20, 07:58

Now I'm wondering if the ropes could make a difference. If I remember correctly, WWE uses actual rope, while most other companies (I think everyone other than CMLL and maybe All Japan) use steel cable. Could that maybe be an issue, where the rope isn't providing enough spring for your back, creating some sort of whiplash problem?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 2nd, '20, 08:42

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 2nd, '20, 07:58 Now I'm wondering if the ropes could make a difference. If I remember correctly, WWE uses actual rope, while most other companies (I think everyone other than CMLL and maybe All Japan) use steel cable. Could that maybe be an issue, where the rope isn't providing enough spring for your back, creating some sort of whiplash problem?
Maybe, but that would mostly be an issue with older or injured wrestlers that don't have the shoulder strength to take the bump. it still doesn't excuse when Nia Jax throws you from far away and you land on the second turnbuckle.

XIV

Post by XIV » Jun 2nd, '20, 09:31

I think we can all agree it is a stupid move anyway. Nothing wrong with a perfectly good powerbomb. For the wrestler it's an unecessary risk for zero gain.
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 2nd, '20, 10:44

XIV wrote: Jun 2nd, '20, 09:31 I think we can all agree it is a stupid move anyway. Nothing wrong with a perfectly good powerbomb. For the wrestler it's an unecessary risk for zero gain.
It worked better in ROH when it was used as a set-up for the superkick

Now that I think about it, the Bucks (and probably other teams that I'm forgetting) have been doing it, too (in combination with the Enzugiri from the guy on the apron) with no reported injuries, either.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 2nd, '20, 10:55

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 2nd, '20, 10:44

Now that I think about it, the Bucks (and probably other teams that I'm forgetting) have been doing it, too (in combination with the Enzugiri from the guy on the apron) with no reported injuries, either.
this is the trick, it's pretty much a set up for another move, be it Elgin Bombs or whatnot
True about the bucks. I think Cage also does it, and he's not exactly Mr. perfect execution of moves, but i don't remember hurting anyone

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 2nd, '20, 11:31

cero2k wrote: Jun 2nd, '20, 10:55
Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 2nd, '20, 10:44

this is the trick, it's pretty much a set up for another move, be it Elgin Bombs or whatnot
True about the bucks. I think Cage also does it, and he's not exactly Mr. perfect execution of moves, but i don't remember hurting anyone
I mean...lot of gray areas here and it's not exactly one sided...but I see a much smallet risk of any Buck slinging guys into the turnbuckle and causing serious injury. Elgin pulls it off, but I think it's just greater chance when you deal with someone with size difference like Nia Jax. I suppose any move has greater injury rate when done by much larger opponents.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 2nd, '20, 14:47

KILLdozer wrote: Jun 2nd, '20, 11:31
I mean...lot of gray areas here and it's not exactly one sided...but I see a much smallet risk of any Buck slinging guys into the turnbuckle and causing serious injury. Elgin pulls it off, but I think it's just greater chance when you deal with someone with size difference like Nia Jax. I suppose any move has greater injury rate when done by much larger opponents.
I do believe that Nia's excuse was "I thought I was stronger".

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 2nd, '20, 15:43

cero2k wrote: Jun 2nd, '20, 14:47
KILLdozer wrote: Jun 2nd, '20, 11:31
I do believe that Nia's excuse was "I thought I was stronger".
What's that got to do with it? Is she dropping women because she can't keep them up for long enough and lacks the proper strength to have the necessary control and timing on throws and slams for them to be done safely?