BRM Reviews the 6/17/2020 NXT

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 6/17/2020 NXT

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 18th, '20, 20:43

NXT TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Imperium (Fabian Aichner & Marcel Barthel)(c) vs. Breezango- 6.75/10
Breezango mocking Imperium’s entrance was great. The match itself was fine for what it was, but the finish was a mess. Basically, Breeze got pitched to the outside. Malcolm Bivens and Indus Sher came out to menace him but Danny Burch & Oney Lorcan came out to make the save. While they brawled, Fandango rolled up Barthel but it turns out Barthel wasn’t the legal man. Aichner came by and hit Fandango with a DDT and pinned him. The babyfaces wound up standing together in the ring. I thought Indus Sher losing a brawl was BIG mistake, and the presence of both Indus Sher and then Burch & Lorcan felt extremely forced.

TOM PHILLIPS INTERVIEWS THE VELVETEEN DREAM- fine
He wants to know what’s next for TVD now that he can’t challenge for the NXT Title as long as Adam Cole remains champion. TVD said he “no recollection of that,” which made him come off like a total heel for pretending his loss never happened.
While TVD was speaking, Dexter Lumis poked up from behind his couch and left a drawing on the couch, then retreated before TVD could notice him. TVD finally noticed the drawing, which was a drawing of himself and Lumis as the NXT Tag Team Champions. He called it a “misunderstanding,” saying that him helping Lumis last week was just paying back the favor from TakeOver: In Your House, and that “The Velveteen Dream is a solo act.” Okay… that’s definitely a direction I like a lot more than Lumis and TVD challenging for the tag titles.

DAMIAN PRIEST vs. KILLIAN DAIN- 6.5/10
Priest’s ribs got worked over but he fought back and won. Putting Priest in the structural babyface role was an odd choice, but I think it will help the character recover more than just doing some other dastardly act for heat.

KILLIAN DAIN SMACKS A DRUNKEN ROBERT STONE THROUGH THE PLEXIGLASS- that was mean
Also, Stone is clearly in no condition to perform. WWE should really be trying to get him some help.

XIA LI vs. ALIYAH- 1/10
Aliyah went over to help Robert Stone up and bring him to ringside with her. That’s nice of her. Maybe she’s not such a heel after all?
The match seemed to be going well, all things considered. Then Robert Stone hurled on the apron. This distracted Xia, allowing Aliyah to roll her up but Aliyah kicked out… but she probably wasn’t supposed to because Aliyah just pinned her again and she stayed down this time. Oops.
Stone did a face-plant off the apron when Aliyah tried to get him to jump into her arms and he missed because he’s drunk. I can get behind these two as a comedic heel duo.

THATCH AS THATCH CAN TRAINING CAMP- meh
Thatcher is abusing his trainees. I think we all saw this coming. This would have been better if we saw the other trainees other than the one he was abusing and saw their reactions to it.

UNDSIPUTED ERA THERAPY SEGMENT- way too goofy

MCKENZIE MITCHELL INTERIVEWS ADAM COLE- GREAT!
She apparently can’t figure out the symbolism of the hourglass. Can we please not make these interviewers so dumb?
Cole said the story is always the same and he wins in the end. Keith Lee came by and said that Cole’s time is running out, but it’s not Karrion Kross who will take the title from him. He then smashed the hourglass and said “tick-tock.”

NXT TITLE SEGMENT- great
First Cole, then Lee, then Gargano, then Balor come out and cut their promos. Everyone was good aside from Balor, whose gimmick right now seems to be that he uses insider terms. Calling a guy who has been champion over a year a “transitional” champion was dumb. I also wasn’t fond of Lee’s comments about Candice whispering in his ear that him picking her up was the most action she’d had all year. It just seemed really douchy and unnecessary.
Anyway, Regal appeared on the Tron and told them that next week Lee will defend the North American Title against Balor and Gargnao, with the winner getting a shot at Cole on July 8th, title vs. title, winner take all. Their promos built up to this well, but I’m not a fan of the idea. I really hope they have an actual plan for this rather than them just doing it to have a big match to oppose the second week of Fyter Fest.

MCKENZIE MITCHELL INTERVIEWS KEITH LEE- bad
Candice quickly interrupted him to yell at him about this his comments. Mia Yim came up behind Candice and once Lee got her to turn around, they started brawling. Referees broke it up after Mia threw some boxes at Candice. This felt very forced.

KAYDEN CARTER (w/Kacy Catanzaro) vs. DAKOTA KAI (w/Raquel Gonzalez)- 3/10
This was short but good for the time it got. They really need to start letting the likes of Kayden Carter and Kacy Catanzaro have longer matches.

SCARLETT & KROSS COME ACROSS THE BROKEN HOURGLASS- good
I like the fact that the segment with the hourglass itself showed that these two have a flare for the dramatic, as it makes then deliberately setting up and filming something like this feel in character, as opposed to just something someone backstage thought would be a cool way of shooting the segment.

MERCEDES MARTINEZ VIDEO PACKAGE- good
It’s nice that they’re finally doing something with Mercedes, but if they keep going like this, the Kacy Katanzaros of the world are never going to get their chance to improve and we’ll never know their potential.

BRONSON REED vs. LEON RUFF- squash
Can’t we get someone who isn’t so darn talented to be the designated jobber on this show?

BRONSON REED PROMO- good
He wants a match with Karrion Kross next week. He was nice enough to carry Leon Ruff away from ringside.

SOMETHING HAS HAPPENED IN THE PARKING LOT- fine
Someone has cut Damian Priest’s tires. Cameron Grimes comes by to make fun of him, so I’m going to assume he did it. They seem to be turning Priest babyface, which they really shouldn’t do.

SANTOS ESCOBAR PROMO- very good
He cut a very good promo explaining why he took off his mask. The group as a whole is now known as “El Legado Del Phantasma.” Drake Maverick interrupted and charged at them. He put up a valiant fight but got his butt kicked. He ate a Phantom Driver through a table and was stretchered off. After a commercial break, we were shown Jake Atlas watching Drake getting stretchered off. I guess Atlas wasn’t actually watching the show or else he would have run out and helped his pal.

Signed for next week are Grimes vs. Priest and Kross vs. Reed.

WWE WOMEN’S TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Sasha Banks & Bayley(c) vs. Tegan Nox & Shotzi Blackheart- 7/10
This was just passable as a main event. It was hurt by both the feeling that the challengers were totally unworthy and that it was pretty obvious there was no way the belts were changing hands. Shotzi almost killed Sasha with a Backdrop Driver.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- weird
Io Shirai come out and beat up both Sasha and Bayley. I have no idea why she did this, and don’t think it was a good idea to have her beat up the tag champs, even if they were already tired and worn down from a match.

This was a very meh episode of NXT. The wrestling was passable, some segments were very good, and others were bad. Far too many of the segments on this show have been feeling forced as of late.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews the 6/17/2020 NXT

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 19th, '20, 13:42

Kayden Carter? Yeah, give Ember Moon Jr a chance 🙄
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 19th, '20, 13:58

Dude... Ember Moon is fantastic.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 19th, '20, 19:18

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 19th, '20, 13:58 Dude... Ember Moon is fantastic.
Yes, and who knows where her future is going or the status of her current situation...(possibly going to have to retire...), but I've always said and stand by this opinion: Kaden Carter, FKA as Lacey Lane in the MYC, is literally essentially just an "Ember Moon Jr."

Both have the same style of hair, colored hair, contacts, they even have similarl(ish) attires and wrestle the same style almost. One is just slightly slimmer and younger than the other.

I'm legitimately surprised they have 2 wrestlers with so many blatant similarities between each other. Just several details based off appearance and stuff between them.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 20th, '20, 22:11

KILLdozer wrote: Jun 19th, '20, 19:18
Yes, and who knows where her future is going or the status of her current situation...(possibly going to have to retire...), but I've always said and stand by this opinion: Kaden Carter, FKA as Lacey Lane in the MYC, is literally essentially just an "Ember Moon Jr."

Both have the same style of hair, colored hair, contacts, they even have similarl(ish) attires and wrestle the same style almost. One is just slightly slimmer and younger than the other.

I'm legitimately surprised they have 2 wrestlers with so many blatant similarities between each other. Just several details based off appearance and stuff between them.
Except that Ember is graceful and doesn't blow her spots while Kayden often does.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 20th, '20, 22:16

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 20th, '20, 22:11
KILLdozer wrote: Jun 19th, '20, 19:18

Except that Ember is graceful and doesn't blow her spots while Kayden often does.
So they already had the better version anyways lmao...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 22nd, '20, 03:13

Apparently in the quick shot of Priest arriving at the building, you could see Cameron Grimes sneaking around in the background. Props to NXT for that detail.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation