Site Admin

Cero Reviews NJPW New Japan Cup 2020, Day 6

Post by cero2k » Jul 1st, '20, 17:14

NJPW New Japan Cup 2020, Day 6
July 1st, 2020
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo, Japan

New Japan Cup Second Round Match
YOSHI-HASHI vs BUSHI - 6.5/10
I think BUSHI knew this was going to be his highest level match in a while, he came out with a skeleton suit and a Kamen Rider inspired mask.

This wasn't a bad match by all means, but I think it really felt short of its potential. We know YOSHI-HASHI exceeds only in Strong Style striking battles, and when they did that here, it was good, but YH trying to keep up with BUSHI's style of wrestling, the match slowed down a lot of got boring. They should had just forced BUSHI to work more strikes a one or two bigger moves. Anyway, YH won with Karma.

SANADA vs SHO - 7.5/10
I really liked this, it had the right amount and type of energy, SANADA wore his worker boots and SHO was out there to play around with the top guys, but unfortunately, the time given wasn't much. SHO worked over SANADA's arm, and SANADA worked on SHO's legs. I didn't really expect SHO to win, but the final minutes, he chased the Shock Arrow so much that I thought that maybe just maybe he could. SANADA submitted SHO with the Skull End to win the match.

Los Ingobernables de Japon (Tetsuya Naito, Hiromu Takahashi, & Shingo Takagi) vs CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii, Toru Yano, & Yota Tsuji) - 6.5/10
Kinda short, but enough. We saw more Yano and Hiromu interaction, we had Shingo vs Tsuji, and Naito failing to hit la Combinacion Cabron, but at the end, this was all about the preview of Ishii vs Hiromu, which was interesting, they have a different type of chemistry, different that either would have with other wrestlers. This felt similar to Taichi or Naito vs Ishii in the sense that Hiromu is not afraid of Ishii and his pushy tendencies, and doesn't get provoked into playing Ishii's game. Yet, Hiromu did give Ishii a glimpse that he can indeed take him on with strikes.

The rest was the usual everyone gets in and in the end, Hiromu submitted Tsuji with a Boston Crab.

Post-match - Hiromu and Ishii had a stare own with the latter being a bit more pissed off. I have a feeling that in the backstage promos, Ishii will want to treat Hiromu as a Young Lion.

Grand Master Video - Yeah, we know, Kawato is coming home. I really wish they would make two different videos so they would change every other day.

Kota Ibushi (w/Hiroshi Tanahashi) vs Taichi (w/Zack Sabre Jr.) - 8.5/10
I'm really really surprised this wasn't the main event, especially since Tana and Sabre are out here to extend their storyline. This was also the first time that I noticed that Taichi has made a new pouch for the iron fingers, maybe on purpose.

Match was kinda up and down, it started really action packed with Sabre and Tana getting involved and Taichi dominating, but somewhere around the middle, they started trading kicks, like a lot of kicks, and the match slowed down A LOT. Later on it picked up again as they headed towards the end and Sabre and Tana got involved again. Taichi won the match hitting Ibushi with the Iron Fingers, which I think it's only the second time he's used them, and a Black Mephisto to seal the deal.

Hirooki Goto vs EVIL - 8.5/10
This was arguably the best of the night, it was a lot of hitting tho, and that was pretty much it. I mean, if you're gonna have two guys hit each other for long and keep it at a fast pace and look hard, you can't go wrong with Goto and EVIL. Last minutes with both guys countering the GTR and EIE was pretty good.

Post-match - EVIL cut his winner's promo.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
This was a bit of a boring show, I couldn't get into either of the last matches and the only one that got me excited was SANADA vs SHO which I'm not expecting a lot of people to like.

Quarter Finals are Okada vs Ishimori, Ishii vs Hiromu Takahashi, Taichi vs SANADA, and EVIL vs YOSHI-HASHI.

Big Red Machine

Re: Cero Reviews NJPW New Japan Cup 2020, Day 6

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 1st, '20, 17:55

You "couldn't get into" the last two matches but still gave them both ****1/4?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 1st, '20, 18:23

Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 1st, '20, 17:55 You "couldn't get into" the last two matches but still gave them both ****1/4?
could get into them doesn't make them bad matches, they're just not my mood today.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 1st, '20, 19:14

cero2k wrote: Jul 1st, '20, 18:23
Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 1st, '20, 17:55 You "couldn't get into" the last two matches but still gave them both ****1/4?
could get into them doesn't make them bad matches, they're just not my mood today.
I'm not saying that makes them bad, I'm just saying that seems crazy high for a match that didn't grab you for whatever reason. Are going to go back and watch them in a few days or something?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 2nd, '20, 07:44

Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 1st, '20, 19:14
I'm not saying that makes them bad, I'm just saying that seems crazy high for a match that didn't grab you for whatever reason. Are going to go back and watch them in a few days or something?
i may the last one, for Ibushi vs Taichi, like i said, it was the some point in the middle that my mind started to wonder around and then it got me back, i don't know if my mood will change the rating that much