Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson Buys XFL In $15 Mil Deal

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson Buys XFL In $15 Mil Deal

Post by cero2k » Aug 3rd, '20, 08:50

source: https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/dway ... ion-316726

It appears WWE legend and movie star Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is attempting to take the theme of his HBO series Ballers and translate it into real life.

On Monday morning, news broke that a group led by Johnson has purchased the assets of Vince McMahon's XFL for approximately $15 million, hours before an auction in bankruptcy court was set to begin. The deal, brokered by XFL president Jeffrey Pollack, is expected to be approved by the court on August 7th and close on August 21st.

Johnson's ex-wife and business partner, Dany Garcia, is also an investor while Johnson and RedBird Capital's Gerry Cardinale are each equal investors, splitting the $15 million investment. Cardinale's group is a regular investor in sports properties and related businesses.

Based on the press release, the plan is to relaunch the league.

Johnson said, "“The acquisition of the XFL with my talented partners, Dany Garcia and Gerry Cardinale, is an investment for me that’s rooted deeply in two things - my passion for the game and my desire to always take care of the fans. With pride and gratitude for all that I’ve built with my own two hands, I plan to apply these callouses to the XFL, and look forward to creating something special for the players, fans, and everyone involved for the love of football.”

McMahon and his Alpha Entertainment group shut down the league in April due to the pandemic and filed for bankruptcy mid-month, listing assets and liabilities in the range of $10-$50 million. McMahon owned 100 percent of Class A shares and 76.5 percent of Class B shares, while WWE owned 23.5 percent of Class B shares. Reports indicate he was planning on investing up to $500 million in the first three years of the league's relaunch.

The league had TV deals in place with both ESPN/ABC and Fox and Johnson has an existing relationship with NBC as they air his Titan Games show where he's an executive producer.

XIV

Re: Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson Buys XFL In $15 Mil Deal

Post by XIV » Aug 3rd, '20, 10:38

Suddenly XFL has a genuine chance of success.
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 3rd, '20, 10:40

Surely this is an Onion headline that Dave and Bryan got fooled by. That was my first thought when I saw it.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 4th, '20, 09:07

XIV wrote: Aug 3rd, '20, 10:38 Suddenly XFL has a genuine chance of success.
apparently, they're shooting to start it on 2021 already, so idk about that.

XIV

Post by XIV » Aug 4th, '20, 11:48

cero2k wrote: Aug 4th, '20, 09:07
XIV wrote: Aug 3rd, '20, 10:38 Suddenly XFL has a genuine chance of success.
apparently, they're shooting to start it on 2021 already, so idk about that.
Dwayne Johnson has enough star power in himself to create the interest that is required to be successful. The people who come in Need to get hooked quick, this is the last chance.
Have A Nice Day!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 4th, '20, 16:38

XIV wrote: Aug 4th, '20, 11:48

Dwayne Johnson has enough star power in himself to create the interest that is required to be successful. The people who come in Need to get hooked quick, this is the last chance.
totally agree with that, the XFL has the most chance at success with The Rock's face all over it, i'm still not betting on it succeeding.

XIV

Post by XIV » Aug 5th, '20, 07:28

cero2k wrote: Aug 4th, '20, 16:38
XIV wrote: Aug 4th, '20, 11:48

totally agree with that, the XFL has the most chance at success with The Rock's face all over it, i'm still not betting on it succeeding.
I'm not sure it will ever reach NFL levels of success, I'm not 100% convinced either, but it depends how they present it or what their plans actually are for it, run it as it currently is? Just an alternative American Football league? Or do they turn it into a youth system where they can feed into NFL's, almost like an intermediary between College & NFL allowing guys the chance to play more games? Do they run it some other way? I guess we'll find out!
Have A Nice Day!