BRM Reviews AEW Late Night Dynamite

All AEW Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews AEW Late Night Dynamite

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 23rd, '20, 17:28

BEN CARTER vs. SCORPIO SKY- 7/10
We couldn’t even get to the end of the second wrestlers’ entrance before Jericho was in full over the top clown mode on commentary.
This was a great debut for Carter that gave him instant credibility… but that’s not what AEW needs. They don’t even have room for the poor kid. They have a roster full of people who are in the midcard or lower who have been around forever and have barely done anything. How many actual stories have Private Party been involved in? Colt Cabana? Ricky Starks? Spawn Spears? Butcher & Blade? Nothing has come of this Allie/Brandi pairing yet. Ditto for Nyla Rose and Vickie Guerrero. Any moment Zack Ryder could have had after his debut has been thoroughly squandered. Even a guy like Lance Archer went MONTHS without doing anything.
And how much focus is this guy possibly going to get when you’re trying to introduce Miro with a push, heat up Kingston, and Archer, build Will Hobbs into something, keep on doing whatever you’re doing with Cabana and the Dark Order, and, of course, focus on the pushed guys you’ve already been focusing on, like Jericho, Moxley, Page, the Bucks, FTR, Brodie, MJF, etc. And, of course, Cody has to come back at some point. AEW can’t afford the space for guys like Ben Carter or Matt Sydal. Just look at the atrocious waste of Brian Pillman Jr. so far!

ANNA JAY vs. BRANDI RHODES- 5/10
Does anyone else remember Anna Jay giving Tay Conti a Dark Order contract and Conti signing it, or did I just hallucinate that? I ask because it hasn’t been followed up on in any way, and I think it happened quite a while ago.
This match was fine, technically, but the intensity was nowhere close to what it needed to be, especially from Brandi, who is out for revenge on someone who attacked her from behind where her buddies were assaulting the rest of Brandi’s family.
Also, the person who come up with this finish should have been fired. This is the third match in this feud. The first two made Brodie Lee look like a huge threat. In this match, Brandi had Anna Jay beaten cleanly and would have won if not for a distraction.
This is just Anna Jay’s third match on Dynamite. In her first she lost to Shida in under five minutes. In her second, she lost in seventy-five seconds to a woman so impressive that she hasn’t been booked on Dynamite since. Her win in the women’s tag team tournament came over goofball joke Cameron. She needs credibility, and this ruined the tiny bit she had. This made it clear that this woman has no chance on her own against real competition, as she has only been able to get the best of Brandi when Brandi’s attention has been elsewhere… and it’s not even like Brandi one of the bigger names in the division.

Jim Ross said that “If Anna Jay gets her party behind and runs a campaign, she could be AEW Women’s Champion sooner than we think.” Why does this guy still have a headset?

ALEX MARVEZ INTERVIEWS SCORPIO SKY- no rating, audio issues
He’s looking for another TNT Title shot. Matt Sydal interrupted. The audio on my TV kept cutting out during this, so I have no idea what else they said.

ORANGE CASSIDY VS. BRODIE LEE VIDEO PACKAGE- fine for what it was, I guess. I just can’t bring myself to care about either of these two goofs, or that title with zero value and the silly name.

MATT SYDAL vs. SHAWN SPEARS (w/Tully Blanchard)- 6.75/10
They tried hard, but it’s f*cking Shawn Spears. And I know I shouldn’t be thinking that way, but the fact is that Spears was given that stupid loaded glove THREE MONTHS AGO, and this is the first time he has wrestled a televised match since then, so how important can he possibly be?
Spears wins with a punch to the face with the loaded glove, which none of the announcers noted was loaded at the time. Then he hit the C4, which is a Death Valley Driver. Excalibur claimed that Spears chose that name because that’s the vertebrate it targets? The ability to target just one vertebrate with a move like that seems unlikely. Why not call it C4 after the explosive?

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- snore
The announcers remember that the glove is loaded. Tully goes to distract the referee for some reason, while Spears goes to punch Sydal again, but Scorpio Sky makes the save.

This was a fine one-hour show in the ring, but the booking meh at best, and the fact that they thought THIS is something that might get viewers staying around after the basketball game to check out Dynamite tomorrow was ridiculous.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Thelone

Re: BRM Reviews AEW Late Night Dynamite

Post by Thelone » Sep 25th, '20, 16:11

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 23rd, '20, 17:28 BEN CARTER vs. SCORPIO SKY- 7/10
We couldn’t even get to the end of the second wrestlers’ entrance before Jericho was in full over the top clown mode on commentary.
This was a great debut for Carter that gave him instant credibility… but that’s not what AEW needs. They don’t even have room for the poor kid. They have a roster full of people who are in the midcard or lower who have been around forever and have barely done anything. How many actual stories have Private Party been involved in? Colt Cabana? Ricky Starks? Spawn Spears? Butcher & Blade? Nothing has come of this Allie/Brandi pairing yet. Ditto for Nyla Rose and Vickie Guerrero. Any moment Zack Ryder could have had after his debut has been thoroughly squandered. Even a guy like Lance Archer went MONTHS without doing anything.
And how much focus is this guy possibly going to get when you’re trying to introduce Miro with a push, heat up Kingston, and Archer, build Will Hobbs into something, keep on doing whatever you’re doing with Cabana and the Dark Order, and, of course, focus on the pushed guys you’ve already been focusing on, like Jericho, Moxley, Page, the Bucks, FTR, Brodie, MJF, etc. And, of course, Cody has to come back at some point. AEW can’t afford the space for guys like Ben Carter or Matt Sydal. Just look at the atrocious waste of Brian Pillman Jr. so far!
It's almost comical how many wrestlers they have who they're "high on" or "wanna push" or whatever else. I feel like they could easily cut twenty guys/gals tomorrow and barely anyone would even notice. But hey, gotta fill Dark with fifteen matches every week I suppose.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 25th, '20, 16:26

Thelone wrote: Sep 25th, '20, 16:11
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 23rd, '20, 17:28 BEN CARTER vs. SCORPIO SKY- 7/10
It's almost comical how many wrestlers they have who they're "high on" or "wanna push" or whatever else. I feel like they could easily cut twenty guys/gals tomorrow and barely anyone would even notice. But hey, gotta fill Dark with fifteen matches every week I suppose.
Gotta pad those records for all of the people they're high on and/or want to push.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Sep 26th, '20, 05:41

I guess, but they've reached a point where they have way too many of those and very few jobbers/enhancement talent, and almost all of them are stuck on the Youtube show that only a small fraction of the TV audience is watching.