Matt Riddle gets name adjustment, now going by 'Riddle' in WWE

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

Matt Riddle gets name adjustment, now going by 'Riddle' in WWE

Post by cero2k » Oct 29th, '20, 16:21

src: https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/matt ... wwe-323896

WWE has made an adjustment to Matt Riddle's on-screen name.

Riddle is no longer using his first name on WWE television and will now be going by "Riddle" going forward. PWinsider reports that the decision was made by WWE earlier today. WWE.com has also been updated to reflect the change and no longer includes references to Riddle's first name.

Riddle tweeted about the name change: "People it’s okay I’ve been called Riddle most my life, I actually prefer it and it’s my real last name #bro #stallion #RIDDLE"

After being called up to SmackDown earlier this year, Riddle switched brands in this month's WWE Draft and is now a member of the Raw roster. He lost a Survivor Series qualifying match to Sheamus on this Monday's episode of Raw. Riddle lost to AJ Styles on Raw the previous week, with Styles getting the win after repeated involvement from his new bodyguard Jordan Omogbehin.

Big Red Machine

Re: Matt Riddle gets name adjustment, now going by 'Riddle' in WWE

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 29th, '20, 17:05

But... WHY?
And even if it's what people are going to call him, that doesn't mean you have to pretend his first name doesn't exist! Just let the graphic say "Matt Riddle" and have him go by "Matt Riddle" for official purposes like ring intros, but have everyone call him "Riddle."
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Oct 30th, '20, 00:19

I have no words. Why does everyone need to have only one name? What’s gonna happen to Roman Reigns eventually? Everyone else will have a one word name and he’ll be the only one with two, they’ll have to change it!

*jokes*

But for real, this is so beyond stupid it hurts my brain.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Oct 30th, '20, 01:26

cero2k wrote: Oct 29th, '20, 16:21
Riddle tweeted about the name change: "People it’s okay I’ve been called Riddle most my life, I actually prefer it and it’s my real last name #bro #stallion #RIDDLE"
I can actually emphasize with this. As someone with a very common first name, but a very memorable last name, depending on the person I just have them refer to me by my last name.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 30th, '20, 07:16

NWK2000 wrote: Oct 30th, '20, 01:26
I can actually emphasize with this. As someone with a very common first name, but a very memorable last name, depending on the person I just have them refer to me by my last name.
that's ok, but along with Red's response, you don't need to remove the name, it can still be there, just don't say it if they don't want to. It's not like people used to say "Stone Cold Steve Austin" every time they said his name.

This is just WWE's unhealthy obsession with wanting to make every single word spoken a brand and trademark

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Oct 30th, '20, 08:12

cero2k wrote: Oct 30th, '20, 07:16
that's ok, but along with Red's response, you don't need to remove the name, it can still be there, just don't say it if they don't want to. It's not like people used to say "Stone Cold Steve Austin" every time they said his name.

This is just WWE's unhealthy obsession with wanting to make every single word spoken a brand and trademark
Yeah, but if the wrestler in question is getting out in front of it and going, "Guys, that's fine" it just makes the IWC look like more pedantic assholes than usual.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 30th, '20, 08:37

cero2k wrote: Oct 30th, '20, 07:16
This. You tell people to all you by your last name. What WWE is doing is the equivalent of you going out and legally changing your name just your last name.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 30th, '20, 09:34

NWK2000 wrote: Oct 30th, '20, 08:12

Yeah, but if the wrestler in question is getting out in front of it and going, "Guys, that's fine" it just makes the IWC look like more pedantic assholes than usual.
It only makes Riddle look like a huge stooge for the company, who has drank the flavor-aid. WWE likely told him to tweet about how he is happy getting his real name cut off.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 30th, '20, 10:11

cero2k wrote: Oct 30th, '20, 09:34
NWK2000 wrote: Oct 30th, '20, 08:12

It only makes Riddle look like a huge stooge for the company, who has drank the flavor-aid. WWE likely told him to tweet about how he is happy getting his real name cut off.
This.

This isn't the IWC getting upset about nothing. This is pushback against Vince being an insane control freak.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 30th, '20, 12:05

Extremely Relevant.

Apparently you HAVE to call him Riddle actually...
When they come, they'll come at what you love.