BRM Reviews We Love Wrestling #43: 16 Carat Gold Revenge (great)

NJPW, RevPro, CMLL, DDT, etc
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews We Love Wrestling #43: 16 Carat Gold Revenge (great)

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 29th, '23, 21:54

wXw We Love Wrestling #43: 16 Carat Gold Revenge (3/25/2023)- Frankfurt, Germany

EARLIER TODAY, DAN MALLMAN WAS RANDOMLY INTERVIEWING THE RING CREW AND PRODUCTION STUFF, WHEN HE CAME UPON LEVANIEL, LAID OUT ON THE GROUND- someone has attacked Levaniel and taken out his knee.
Jurn Simmons also showed up to check on his good buddy Levaniel.

wXw SHOTGUN TITLE MATCH: Laurance Roman(c) (w/Robert Dreissker) vs. Aigle Blanc- 7/10
Aigle Blanc looked like a star babyface here who get screwed out of the title by Dreissker’s interference. Excellent.

AVA EVERETT vs. AMALE- 4.25/10
Ava won in six minutes after getting an advantage with an eye rake. This was a fun little heel vs. heel match (although Ava was clearly the more heelish).

DAN MALLMAN INTERVIEWS ANIL MARIK & ELIJAH BLUM- great
Dan asks Elijah to talk about what a great weekend he had in his first 16 Carat Gold, and Elijah gladly does so. Then Dan turns to Anil and says “I’d say yours was quite the opposite, right?” What a dickish way to ask that question. Then he makes it worse by reminding everyone that Anil didn’t even make it into the ring during the six-man tag he was involved in and got kicked off of another show. It’s necessary exposition for the audience, yes, but that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t make feel like Dan is rubbing Anil’s face in his failure.
Fortunately, Anil was distracted so he didn’t process the question (in a wonderful little touch earlier on, you could see him getting distracted and Elijah subtly tapped him to bring his attention back). Dan found a much nicer way to ask the question this time. Anil admitted that things didn’t go well. Elijah stepped in and said that 16 Carat Gold weekend is over, and he and Anil have trained together, and they’ve got this. This seemed to raise Anil’s spirits a little. What a good friend Elijah Blum is... and what a great actor Anil Marik was here. He came off like a youngster having a crisis of confidence, which is exactly what he is right now.

ANIL MARIK & ELIJAH BLUM vs. ARROWS OF HUNGARY- 5.5/10
Early on, once Anil actually got some offense in, Robert Dreissker came out to ringside to distract him. He did this by taking off his protective facemask and once again daring Anil to punch him in the face.
The Arrows won this pretty much cleanly, pinning Blum. Blum had had a moment where he could have tagged out, but Anil was down and couldn’t receive the tag. The announcers noted that he has continued to lose since returning from injury, but I will note that Anil was not the person who got pinned in these past two matches.

wXw WOMEN’S TITLE MATCH: Baby Allison(c) vs. Aliss Ink- 6.75/10
Allison retained cleanly in ten minutes with a roll-up. The story of the match was her always being able to dodge the Dragon’s Tail. I knew that there was no way they were going to take the belt off of Allison in her first defense and in her home town, but I so badly wanted them to because I thought taking the belt off of Aliss was a mistake, so I was really invested in the match and it my hope built and built up basically every moment after Aliss kicked out of the Spear. What I’m trying to say is that you probably won’t like this quite as much as I did. But maybe you will. Go watch it and see for yourself.

BEST OF FIVE SERIES MATCH #1: Peter Tihanyi vs. Axel Tischer- 8/10
These two are having a best of five series because Tihanyi was very unhappy with some of the things that Tischer said to him after their 16 Carat Gold semifinal, so he has challenged Tischer to a best of five series, and Tischer has accepted.
We started off with what looked like it was going to be a stare-down, accept that Tischer wouldn’t even look at Tihanyi. When Tihanyi waved his hand in Tischer’s face, Tischer responded with a middle finger. Heel Axel Tischer is going to be a lot of fun.
Tischer won an excellent first match in this series, using the same set of moves to beat Tihanyi that Shigehiro Irie used to beat him in the finals of 16 Carat Gold.

EARLIER TODAY, DAN MALLMAN INTERVIEWED METEHAN & HIS CREW- good
Dan says that while Norman Harras’ office was being cleaned out after he was removed from his position as Director of Sport, a document was found guaranteeing Metehan a shot at the wXw Unified World Wrestling Championship. Metehan says that he is very surprised by this. Dan presses him, saying that his isn’t the sort of thing that normally happens. Normally you have to win matches and earn a title shot. Metehan dodges the question.

HANDICAP MATCH: Jurn Simmons & Only Friends vs. Norman Harras, Metehan, Zafar Ameen, & Rambo- 7/10
Why is Norman still wrestling in slacks?
The babyfaces won, despite their numbers disadvantage. That really de-fanged Metehan’s stable. Norman could have saved Ameen from being pinned by Jurn, but didn’t, because Jurn was staring at him during the entire pin count.

DAN MALLMAN INTERVIEWS AARON INSANE- fine
Insane is Maggot and Ahura’s trainer. He frames the match for us, but it’s really nothing you didn’t already know if you’ve been following the storylines in even a cursory way.

STREET FIGHT: Maggot vs. Ahura- 8.5/10
Maggot came out to the ring with a Kendo Stick; Ahura came out with a baseball bat. This was a wonderfully brutal street fight with a wonderful sense of viciousness about it… which is why was so disappointing to me that they felt the need to create a situation where it was essentially three on one in favor of the babyfaces at the end (first Baby Allison came out to save Maggot when he was chained up in the ropes, then Aaron Insane got involved when Ahura went after Baby Allison).

This was a great show from wXw, with two awesome matches, and a good sense of things moving forward even while quite a few issues from 16 Carat Gold (and before that) still kept going. The lack of new Unified World Wrestling Champion Shigehiro Irie was very disappointing. I really hope he doesn’t turn out to be an absentee champion.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3