Against the grain

Tell it to the world!!
Y2J
Future Endeavored

Against the grain

Post by Y2J » Dec 27th, '10, 02:29

Not everybody shares the same views as each other, it's difference in opinions that make for healthy debates in a forum such as this one. I created this topic because I want to hear your wrestling-related beleifs that might not be shared by the majority. They can be as controversial as you want.

For example I always thought Sean Waltman was a great wrestler, not a legend by any means but he certainly didn't deserve the term "X-Pac heat" labled on him.

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: Against the grain

Post by cero2k » Dec 27th, '10, 11:42

I don't think that Taker, HBK, nor Austin are all that amazing wrestlers.

The TNA Hogan Era hasn't been so bad.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 27th, '10, 12:38

I agree about X-Pac, and I don't feel that he deserved all of the hate that he got. As for the comments about Austin, Taker, and HBK, I won't say I didn't think they were all amazing wrestlers, but Austin just never appealed to me that much.

To continue with the theme of rather controversial statements, I think that Rob Terry has improved quite a lot since his first appearances, and has a future in the wrestling business.

Also, I think that at least two thirds of the divas are better in the ring than Velvet Sky. The Divas are not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. If the ending hadn't been so poorly booked, Piggie James would have been one of the best angles of the year, and finally...

Randy Orton is NOT THAT GREAT. Everyone just likes him because he ISN'T JOHN CENA.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

kirbs2002

Post by kirbs2002 » Dec 27th, '10, 12:47

Triple H is great. He only gets heat for being coincidentally married to the boss's daughter.

I happen to think rather highly of John Cena.

I happen to like PG wrestling and I honestly think that the attitude era really wasn't that good.

I think that the "hardcore" style isn't good.
Reality TV is faker than "fake" wrestling!

"The views that I'm about to express are not necessarily those of anyone else but myself, but they ought to be and, in fact, they probably are"

Chris Everlast

Post by Chris Everlast » Dec 27th, '10, 12:56

Triple H is great, and he gets hate because he's married to McMahon's daughter.

Attitude Era is overrated.

John Cena is a pretty cool guy, and I like his work.

kiel297

Post by kiel297 » Dec 27th, '10, 15:25

The Miz is an AWESOME WWE Champion.
Triple H is great.
MICHAEL COLE IS AWESOME.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 27th, '10, 16:48

I'm definitely going to agree about Attitude Era. Can anyone name ANY great angles from it aside from the following?

Kane-Taker, and all of it's build-up
Austin vs. McMahon
The McMahom-Helmsley Saga (everything from the beginning of Triple H's feud with Vince through the end of the McMahon Helmsley regime)

Everything else that was great about it could have worked in any other climate (E&C vs. Hardyz vs. Dudleyz, Angle vs. Benoit, etc.) Maybe the only thing that wouldn't have been possible was the rise of Y2J.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Dec 27th, '10, 17:01

I think Drew McIntyre needs a push.

I think Jeff is (or was, rather) a good wrestler.

I loved the Attitude Era.

I enjoy Triple H.

I actually get bored of wrestling really easily unless it has lots of high spots or fun things...

Y2J
Future Endeavored

Post by Y2J » Dec 27th, '10, 20:18

Big Red Machine wrote:Randy Orton is NOT THAT GREAT. Everyone just likes him because he ISN'T JOHN CENA.
I agree, Randy Orton is average at best.

Serujuunin wrote:I loved the Attitude Era.
Alot of people loved the attitude era.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Dec 27th, '10, 20:29

-The only time I've ever been happy to see Goldberg was when he won his first World Title. I think he's terrible.

-I like Vickie Guerrero! I think her character is awesome!

-I also like Bubba The Love Sponge! I think he'd be a great wrestling personality if given the PROPER opportunity. His time in TNA was horribly misused.

-I've always thought Chyna was ugly and lacked talent.

womenwrestlerfan
Future Endeavored

Post by womenwrestlerfan » Dec 27th, '10, 21:50

Well I got some things to say:

I never cared for Shane Douglas myself, I don't care for his matches nor do I care for his promos.

I even saw his promos for Hardcore Homecoming, and I didn't like it either.

I guess he would rather cut promos than put on a good match.

I've been a fan of STING, too, but it seems that during his time in WCW, he doesn't seem to get credit for being the World Champion.

I remember on CONFIDENTIAL, Booker T. said that STING didn't get his just due.

and also, I find Triple H being a 7x WWE Champion and a 5x World Heavyweight Champion overrated.

To me, he just doesn't impress me much, especially with the same routines, Pedigree, Flying Knee, Facebuster, etc.

and plus, The Rock being a 7x WWE Heavyweight Champion, I don't think he deserved that either, but the Triple Threat Match @ Vengeance, I'll give him credit for that.

and as for Trish Stratus, I respect her and I like her, but as far as her being 7x WWE Women's Champion, I don't think that she deserved them either, especially the fact that she kept the belt in 2005 and when she cameback from an injury, she was still the champion and they didn't strip her of the belt, and I was like, what going on?

Something's Not Right.

Well those are my 2 cents, so shoot me all you want, but I'm just giving out my opinion.

RVD was a pretty good TNA World Heavyweight Champion

kirbs2002

Post by kirbs2002 » Dec 28th, '10, 16:49

To add to my above post:

Some of you may have figured this out by reading what promotions I talk about, but as far as wrestling, I'd classify myself as a "feminist" of sorts. I support women being in the main event of a "man's" promotion. More because it's just sickening and repetitive how women are constantly berated in the business and made out to be "eye candy" or a side show, if they're lucky.

To quote SHIMMER promoter Dave Prazak:
Fans want to see women do more than just strip in the ring.

"The views that I'm about to express are not necessarily those of anyone else but myself, but they ought to be and, in fact, they probably are"

Chris Everlast

Post by Chris Everlast » Dec 28th, '10, 17:02

kirbs2002 wrote:

CUT THE MUSIC!

We do?

Earth Child

Post by Earth Child » Dec 28th, '10, 23:47

I think John Cena and Randy Orton are ugly and unentertaining.

I think Nexus is the best thing to happen to the WWE since..... I can't think of something just now.

I prefer spot fests rather than a regular type match, simply because I have a short attention span.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 29th, '10, 01:12

kirbs2002 wrote: I support women being in the main event of a "man's" promotion. More because it's just sickening and repetitive how women are constantly berated in the business and made out to be "eye candy" or a side show, if they're lucky.
The reason for this is because, with a few exceptions (the only three I cna think of right now are Kong, Lita, and MsChif), they don't draw as much more than a side attraction. I have no problem with women main eventing if it is done in a way that makes it important (Mickie vs. Tara, Lita vs. Steph, Haze vs. Toyota), but to put women in the main event simply to have them there, especially if the world champ is wrestling a singles match on that show is just a bad idea.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 29th, '10, 01:13

Chris Everlast wrote:
kirbs2002 wrote:

CUT THE MUSIC!

We do?
Depends on the woman. Daizee Haze: Yes. Velvet Sky: No.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Dec 29th, '10, 03:19

It does depend on the women, or on the audience, I guess.

Even though I like women as well as men, I still don't like to see women in skimpy outfits all the time... It doesn't leave anything to the imagination. :p There's no intrigue or mystery when just about everything is there to see (and in some cases, waaaaay too much).

Besides, I like women that are a little more classy and have some more self respect than that. Women that dress properly are more of a turn on than women that are like "Look, here I am, look at meeeeee!!!!"

That could just be me.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 29th, '10, 08:36

Serujuunin wrote: Even though I like women as well as men, I still don't like to see women in skimpy outfits all the time... It doesn't leave anything to the imagination. :p There's no intrigue or mystery when just about everything is there to see (and in some cases, waaaaay too much).
Have you seen what the men wear? It's basically the same thing.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

kirbs2002

Post by kirbs2002 » Dec 29th, '10, 09:19

My statement was made with the general understanding that you build women's feuds to be important, not just have them main event for the sake of doing it.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Dec 29th, '10, 13:17

Big Red Machine wrote:
Serujuunin wrote: Even though I like women as well as men, I still don't like to see women in skimpy outfits all the time... It doesn't leave anything to the imagination. :p There's no intrigue or mystery when just about everything is there to see (and in some cases, waaaaay too much).
Have you seen what the men wear? It's basically the same thing.
I know, but I also don't like when men wear that either.

Speedos should be illegal... -shudder- Most of the guys I like to look at in wrestling wear PANTS.