BRM Reviews WWE Over The Limit

All WWE/F Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews WWE Over The Limit

Post by Big Red Machine » May 23rd, '11, 04:05

WWE Over The Limit (5/22/2011)- Seattle, WA

R-TRUTH PROMO- What the hell? I don’t watch Raw for two weeks, and all of a sudden R-Truth is entertaining!

R-TRUTH vs. REY MYSTERIO- 6/10

WWE INTERCONTINENTAL TITLE MATCH: Wade Barrett(c) vs. Ezekiel Jackson- 5/10. I liked this match, but the DQ finish killed it for me. If you are going to do a DQ finish and post-match beatdown, you should do it on Smackdown. PPV is for the pay-off. PPV is where you do the match with the stip that if Barrett is DQed, he can lose the title, so that Corre doesn’t interfere. Not where you do the DQ and beatdown.

NEXUS SEGMENT- Good. They are definitely building to a turn on Punk.

SIN CARA vs. CHAVO GUERRERO JR- 5.75/10. Extremely weak looking finisher didn’t help this any.

INTERVIEW WITH ORTON & CHRISTIAN- Pretty good, but just another example of why Randy Orton is a terrible babyface.

ALBERTO DEL RIO PROMO- GREAT STUFF!

WWE TAG TITLE MATCH: Kane & The Big Show(c) vs. CM Punk & Mason Ryan- 5.25/10

WWE DIVAS’ TITLE MATCH: Brie Bella(c) (w/Nikki Bella) vs. Kelly Kelly- 3.25/10

WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH: Randy Orton(c) vs. Christian- 7.5/10.

KISS MY FOOT MATCH: Michael Cole vs. Jerry Lawler- Good segment until the end. All that was needed was for Cole to kiss Lawler’s foot. Ever Torres hitting him with the moonsault… well… way to go Eve. You attacked an unconscious person, just like a good babyface. The JR thing was also bad. It’s just too much, and it takes away from Lawler’s revenge. And why the hell was Bret involved. This should have been Jack Swagger. And the Sharpshooter was just wrong. The babyfaces should not stoop to the level of the heels, and that is what happened here.

I QUIT MATCH FOR THE WWE TITLE: John Cena(c) vs. The Miz (w/wAlex Riley)- 8.5/10. Loved everything aside from the Rock-Mankind fakeout. I would probably have given this an 8.75 without that and if Miz had lasted a while longer in the STFU (like, at least a minute, so Miz has to quit to save himself from serious injury. He quit too quickly for my liking).

Overall, a pretty good show by WWE.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BRM Reviews WWE Over The Limit

Post by cero2k » May 23rd, '11, 09:22

Big Red Machine wrote: SIN CARA vs. CHAVO GUERRERO JR- 5.75/10. Extremely weak looking finisher didn’t help this any.
You could see Sin Cara was pissed off at the finish.

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » May 23rd, '11, 10:52

KISS MY FOOT MATCH: Michael Cole vs. Jerry Lawler- Good segment until the end. All that was needed was for Cole to kiss Lawler’s foot. Ever Torres hitting him with the moonsault… well… way to go Eve. You attacked an unconscious person, just like a good babyface. The JR thing was also bad. It’s just too much, and it takes away from Lawler’s revenge. And why the hell was Bret involved. This should have been Jack Swagger. And the Sharpshooter was just wrong. The babyfaces should not stoop to the level of the heels, and that is what happened here.
Uh...maybe Eve and JR getting involved had something to do with the idea of what goes around comes around. It's about time everybody got their revenge on Cole. Bret made sense; they'd just brought up how Hart had made King kiss his foot years ago, and Cole had compared himself to Hart. It was all about Cole getting what he deserved; Swagger had already walked out on Cole on Monday, what was left for him to do?

The ideals of heels and faces aren't as two dimensional as they use to be anymore; that stopped years ago with Stone Cold, DDP, the Rock, etc...

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » May 23rd, '11, 11:06

Let me also add that EVERYTHING they did with Christian, Orton, & the World title could have been done BETTER with Christian as champ. Everything they said in the interview last night, everything they went over in the vignettes, and all the matches they used to build up the OTL match could (and should, imo) have been done with Christian as champ. Then, you could have had at least one title change at your ppv and you wouldn't have made Christian look so weak. Now, not only did he lose his title 5 (actually 2) nights after winning it, but he also lost his rematch straight up. I was begging for SOME kind of turn; maybe even Edge coming down to help Christian or Orton win. It was a very good match, but I felt like the feud went no where over the last few weeks bc NOTHING has changed. It would have been much better if they built this match as "Can Christian hold on to the title it took him 17 years to capture and defeat the 'apex predator' of the WWE" instead of "Can Christian beat the unstoppable Viper and reclaim his title." Then it would have made more sense that the two would look out for one another in the weeks leading up to the ppv; Orton would want Christian healthy for the match bc he knows he wouldn't need help defeating Christian and taking the title, while Christian would want Orton to be healthy bc he wants to prove that he is a true champion. Instead, They've made Christian look as though his title win at ER WAS a fluke.

I'll be surprised if we even see Christian involved in another one on one title match now...

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 23rd, '11, 12:51

badnewzxl wrote: Swagger had already walked out on Cole on Monday, what was left for him to do?
that's why it was important for him to be the one who brought Cole back to the ring, Cole said that Swagger had only been in PPVs because he was walking alongside him, and this PPV showed exactly that, showing that the heel was actually telling the truth and proving him right, and if that was right, maybe everything he said about Eve, Lawler, JR, Dragon, etc was right too.

Last night was about giving it to Cole, Swagger should have been there and said "See, without me, you can't win matches!!"

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » May 23rd, '11, 13:07

cero2k wrote:
badnewzxl wrote: Swagger had already walked out on Cole on Monday, what was left for him to do?
that's why it was important for him to be the one who brought Cole back to the ring, Cole said that Swagger had only been in PPVs because he was walking alongside him, and this PPV showed exactly that, showing that the heel was actually telling the truth and proving him right, and if that was right, maybe everything he said about Eve, Lawler, JR, Dragon, etc was right too.

Last night was about giving it to Cole, Swagger should have been there and said "See, without me, you can't win matches!!"
I felt like he made that statement monday. having him run in would turn Swagger face, which they obviously don't wanna do

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 23rd, '11, 13:25

badnewzxl wrote: I felt like he made that statement monday. having him run in would turn Swagger face, which they obviously don't wanna do
yeah, i had felt that too last monday when he accepted the challenge for Cole, but then since i didn't see him at OTL, it just came to me that Cole had been right all along.

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » May 23rd, '11, 14:16

cero2k wrote:
badnewzxl wrote: I felt like he made that statement monday. having him run in would turn Swagger face, which they obviously don't wanna do
yeah, i had felt that too last monday when he accepted the challenge for Cole, but then since i didn't see him at OTL, it just came to me that Cole had been right all along.
Def; and if Swagger came out last night, he'd still be proving Cole right. He'd have only been on the ppv to throw Cole back into the ring...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 23rd, '11, 15:20

badnewzxl wrote:Let me also add that EVERYTHING they did with Christian, Orton, & the World title could have been done BETTER with Christian as champ. Everything they said in the interview last night, everything they went over in the vignettes, and all the matches they used to build up the OTL match could (and should, imo) have been done with Christian as champ. Then, you could have had at least one title change at your ppv and you wouldn't have made Christian look so weak. Now, not only did he lose his title 5 (actually 2) nights after winning it, but he also lost his rematch straight up. I was begging for SOME kind of turn; maybe even Edge coming down to help Christian or Orton win. It was a very good match, but I felt like the feud went no where over the last few weeks bc NOTHING has changed. It would have been much better if they built this match as "Can Christian hold on to the title it took him 17 years to capture and defeat the 'apex predator' of the WWE" instead of "Can Christian beat the unstoppable Viper and reclaim his title." Then it would have made more sense that the two would look out for one another in the weeks leading up to the ppv; Orton would want Christian healthy for the match bc he knows he wouldn't need help defeating Christian and taking the title, while Christian would want Orton to be healthy bc he wants to prove that he is a true champion. Instead, They've made Christian look as though his title win at ER WAS a fluke.

I'll be surprised if we even see Christian involved in another one on one title match now...
I'm not sure it would have worked as well with Christian as champ, but I agree that SOMETHING had to happen tonight. Either a win for Christian or a heel turn (or, optimally, both, illegal leverage style).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 23rd, '11, 15:27

badnewzxl wrote:
Uh...maybe Eve and JR getting involved had something to do with the idea of what goes around comes around. It's about time everybody got their revenge on Cole. Bret made sense; they'd just brought up how Hart had made King kiss his foot years ago, and Cole had compared himself to Hart. It was all about Cole getting what he deserved; Swagger had already walked out on Cole on Monday, what was left for him to do?

The ideals of heels and faces aren't as two dimensional as they use to be anymore; that stopped years ago with Stone Cold, DDP, the Rock, etc...
I agree. They aren't two-dimensional anymore, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a difference. Look at Austin: Even though he and Vince hated each others guts, Austin couldn't stand by and let Taker force Steph to marry him. Similarly, babyface Austin (and Triple H, for that matter) would never have been anywhere near as sadistic as Two Man Power Trip Austin. If the Hardys were heels, there is no way in hell that Austin would absolutely destroy both them and Lita with continuous chair shots like that, and he certainly wouldn't have kept it up when Lita crawled on Matt to protect him (search "destroying the Hardys and Lita" on youtube- Matt and Lita did that spot better than Kobashi and Misawa!)

Babyfaces can now stoop, but they should never stoop to the level of the heels. When that happens, there is no divide, and in some cases (see Morrison vs. Sheamus or Edge & Christian destroying Del Rio's car at Mania), it creates actual sympathy for the heels (meaning that they should be the babyfaces).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » May 23rd, '11, 15:48

Big Red Machine wrote:
badnewzxl wrote:

I agree. They aren't two-dimensional anymore, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a difference. Look at Austin: Even though he and Vince hated each others guts, Austin couldn't stand by and let Taker force Steph to marry him. Similarly, babyface Austin (and Triple H, for that matter) would never have been anywhere near as sadistic as Two Man Power Trip Austin. If the Hardys were heels, there is no way in hell that Austin would absolutely destroy both them and Lita with continuous chair shots like that, and he certainly wouldn't have kept it up when Lita crawled on Matt to protect him (search "destroying the Hardys and Lita" on youtube- Matt and Lita did that spot better than Kobashi and Misawa!)

Babyfaces can now stoop, but they should never stoop to the level of the heels. When that happens, there is no divide, and in some cases (see Morrison vs. Sheamus or Edge & Christian destroying Del Rio's car at Mania), it creates actual sympathy for the heels (meaning that they should be the babyfaces).
I guess I don't get it bc I don't feel said sympathy for those heels; I felt like it was just a case of tasting their own medicine. Del Rio's car being damaged after his loss was the same insult to injury Del Rio had been dishing out by purposely injuring guys like Christian & Rey. And yeah, Austin saved Steph from marrying Taker, but he said himself he didn't do it to save Steph; he did it bc he was feuding with Taker. At the RAW Homecoming, Austin stunned every McMahon, including the always Face Linda, who'd ONLY done things to HELP Austin.

But I don't think of things along the lines of who's the heel and who's the face; I just look at the characters and think if whether or not it makes sense for them to react the way they do. There IS a difference between face and heel, but Eve, JR, King, and Bret getting shots in on the Big Mouth Michael Cole didn't come anywhere near that line. He didn't get mercilessly beaten; just embarassed

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 23rd, '11, 17:08

badnewzxl wrote:
I guess I don't get it bc I don't feel said sympathy for those heels; I felt like it was just a case of tasting their own medicine. Del Rio's car being damaged after his loss was the same insult to injury Del Rio had been dishing out by purposely injuring guys like Christian & Rey. And yeah, Austin saved Steph from marrying Taker, but he said himself he didn't do it to save Steph; he did it bc he was feuding with Taker. At the RAW Homecoming, Austin stunned every McMahon, including the always Face Linda, who'd ONLY done things to HELP Austin.
And Austin suffered the consequences for it. Linda turned heel and fired JR. IMO the heel,, especially in the case of a wrestler, gets what is coming to them when they lose the match/feud. That is what we are originally paying to see, after all: a wrestling match. IMO they had already gotten the heat back from Del Rio. There was no need to take it further.
badnewzxl wrote: But I don't think of things along the lines of who's the heel and who's the face; I just look at the characters and think if whether or not it makes sense for them to react the way they do. There IS a difference between face and heel, but Eve, JR, King, and Bret getting shots in on the Big Mouth Michael Cole didn't come anywhere near that line. He didn't get mercilessly beaten; just embarassed
If this had happened during the match, I would have been fine with it. For me, Eve's character wouldn't assault a defenseless person, even a heel whom she dislikes. The same with JR.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 23rd, '11, 17:39

in all fairness eves character isnt very defined
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Phreak

Post by Phreak » May 23rd, '11, 17:42

Eve most likely attacked Cole since he has been bashing women wrestling..

sorry I mean "Diva Entertainers"

tho id love to have seen Kharma do it
_________________________________________________________________________________

Outspoken, Bluntly Honest, Offensive and Politically Incorrect since '79

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 23rd, '11, 18:06

Phreak wrote:Eve most likely attacked Cole since he has been bashing women wrestling..

sorry I mean "Diva Entertainers"

tho id love to have seen Kharma do it

I understand her motivation, I just think it is completely out of character for a babyface.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

kiel297

Post by kiel297 » May 25th, '11, 06:14

Pouring BBQ Sauce all over Michael Cole is completely in JR's character IMO. This is the same man who was more than willing to have Vince McMahon join JR's Kiss My Ass Club. Michael Cole's been the thorn in JR's side for years, and JR's never been able to get a 1-up on him (excluding JR is RAW, at which point JR was supposed to be heel).

I'm using standard playground mentality here. Every single person in the playground who's been victimised by the bully (Michael Cole), wants nothing more than to get their own back on the bully. When one kid (Lawler) finally puts the bully in his place, and all those other kids have got a chance to get one over on the bully, they're gonna take that chance. I've seen it happen, and that's why that segment made perfect sense to me.

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » May 25th, '11, 08:50

kiel297 wrote:Pouring BBQ Sauce all over Michael Cole is completely in JR's character IMO. This is the same man who was more than willing to have Vince McMahon join JR's Kiss My a** Club. Michael Cole's been the thorn in JR's side for years, and JR's never been able to get a 1-up on him (excluding JR is RAW, at which point JR was supposed to be heel).

I'm using standard playground mentality here. Every single person in the playground who's been victimised by the bully (Michael Cole), wants nothing more than to get their own back on the bully. When one kid (Lawler) finally puts the bully in his place, and all those other kids have got a chance to get one over on the bully, they're gonna take that chance. I've seen it happen, and that's why that segment made perfect sense to me.
This.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 25th, '11, 10:28

kiel297 wrote:Pouring BBQ Sauce all over Michael Cole is completely in JR's character IMO. This is the same man who was more than willing to have Vince McMahon join JR's Kiss My a** Club. Michael Cole's been the thorn in JR's side for years, and JR's never been able to get a 1-up on him (excluding JR is RAW, at which point JR was supposed to be heel).

But they are grown adults. Not children.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

kiel297

Post by kiel297 » May 25th, '11, 11:43

The mentality still applies. ESPECIALLY on a program marketed towards children. The kids need something they can relate to. The bully getting what's coming to him is something not only the kids can relate to, but most people.

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » May 25th, '11, 11:48

kiel297 wrote:The mentality still applies. ESPECIALLY on a program marketed towards children. The kids need something they can relate to. The bully getting what's coming to him is something not only the kids can relate to, but most people.
But the Anti-Bullying campaign makes it look bad though. It's like yeah this guys a bully but you can stop him if you all gang up on him.....