Attitude Era

Tell it to the world!!
BOD

Attitude Era

Post by BOD » Jan 3rd, '11, 13:46

I know the Attitude ERA has been called the greatest era of all time but what did that era hurt theres always negative in any positive.

We saw the rise and fall of a great company for trying to compete with WWE now we have no choices sure TNA is there but are they equal to what WCW brought to the table?

Kayfabe was broken way to many times you had guys doing shoot interviews and ripping apart the magic. Take the illousion out of anything and its just partial magic.

However as a plus we saw great superstars rise Takers Charecter rose to new heights as Kane arrived and is til this day my favorite storyline/ We saw DX form and create new stars Goldust take over a bizzare twisting angle. And who could forget Stone Cold Steve Austin possibly the one of the greatest stars ever.Now what do we have with WCW a fallen company and WWE has no competition. Its like Pepsi without Coke or Jesse James without Cops or A car with no Gas peddle. what feeds a company is the spirit of competition take that away and you have nothing but the same crap we've been watching and why should Vince care he won he can coast. The Attitude Era was the best time to be a fan because you had two major companys vying for your attention again don't you want that now. Don't you want somebody to spit in WWE'S face and say bring it on.

I'm a proud member of the X Generation and i'm proud of what That era meant to wrestling fans all over the globe but what scars has it left its like when you ride a bike and do the coolest trick ever but when you land you realize it wasn't worth it you shoud've taken more time. Or you wake up one day and realize you've done everything you said you would made a bunch of money but noone to flaunt it to because you bought out anybody and everybody to get your way.
I'm a proud WWE fan and i loved the attitude ERA but i leave you with a simple thought will we ever find that sdpark again look in the past and ask yourself will it ever feel this real again will we ever see what we want to see again?
11/10/10
BOD & Knockouts95

knockout95

Re: Attitude Era

Post by knockout95 » Jan 3rd, '11, 16:50

Great post as alwaays, it's sad to say but I think not. The attitude era was the best and I don't think wrestling will ever be like that again unless by some chance that another company comes along and tries to go head to head with the WWE and is actually good like WCW was.
11/10/10
BOD and Knockout95

Chris Everlast

Post by Chris Everlast » Jan 3rd, '11, 17:04

WCW was horrible, in my humble opinion.

It had all bad things we complain about today's wrestling.

Short titlereigns, degradation of women, older guys hogging the belt.

It was all backstage politics, there was nothing 'great' about the company.

The Attitude era aswell, what special was it from any other era?

We had shock humor.

The great angles everyone remember would work in any 'era', like BRM has pointed out before in the ''Against the grain''-topic. The Attitude era is just a name for a time when they had more crude language and innuendo on the show, the wrestling wasn't better, and even if it was, what tells you the wrestling wouldn't be great without the Attitude era? Sure, we had the Rock, Stone Cold, and Triple H, but so says those characters couldn't be grown without the Attitude era?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 3rd, '11, 18:06

Chris Everlast wrote:WCW was horrible, in my humble opinion.

It had all bad things we complain about today's wrestling.

Short titlereigns, degradation of women, older guys hogging the belt.

It was all backstage politics, there was nothing 'great' about the company.

The Attitude era aswell, what special was it from any other era?

We had shock humor.

The great angles everyone remember would work in any 'era', like BRM has pointed out before in the ''Against the grain''-topic. The Attitude era is just a name for a time when they had more crude language and innuendo on the show, the wrestling wasn't better, and even if it was, what tells you the wrestling wouldn't be great without the Attitude era? Sure, we had the Rock, Stone Cold, and Triple H, but so says those characters couldn't be grown without the Attitude era?
I have actually been thinking about this a lot, and Austin certainly would have been a star withouth the Attitude Era, but I don't know if he would have been a mega-star without it.
I did come up with one name who I think wouldn't have been a star without the Attitude-Era enviornment, and name might surprise a lot of you: Lita.

Let's face it. Lita wasn't just cool becuase she was a woman doing the high-flying stuff that was normally only done by men. Lita was cool because she didn't back down from anyone. Because she was willing to get involved in stuff. Lita wouldn't have been Lita if she didn't do things like Hurricanrana E &C. I just finsihed watching TLC II for my review of WM17. It is my favorite TLC match, in part because of the interferences by Rhino, Spike, and Lita, which I thought was that sort of intagible factor that gave the match that little extra oomph of awesomeness that often results from the few times that overbooking works. Anyway, when those interferences happened, Lita looked like she belonged there. It wasn't weird to see a woman running down to the ring and getting involved in exactly the same way that we had seen men do earlier (props to Spike Dudley for also looking like he belonged in the ring with a bunch of guys who outwieghed him by at least 70 pounds each). Lita thrived from the Attitude Era atmoshphere because it allowed for inter-gender violence. She looked good for being able to hit the guys with moves that only guys did, and she looked tough for being able to take the smae moves as the guys, and being out for just as long as the guys were.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

BOD

Post by BOD » Jan 3rd, '11, 18:12

Although WCW did have there politics and there degrading which i'm not a fan of but every bussiness has politics from the coffee shop to the wrestling ring WCW went against the trend and brought there politics to the forefront of there product was it right no but entertaining yes. I watched wcw to keep up with there angles but i've always been a WWE guy the point i'm trying to make is that Without stiff competition its not as good. The attitude era is when all that came together i respect all three of your opinons humbly.
11/10/10
BOD & Knockouts95

Chris Everlast

Post by Chris Everlast » Jan 3rd, '11, 18:20

BOD wrote:Although WCW did have there politics and there degrading which i'm not a fan of but every bussiness has politics from the coffee shop to the wrestling ring WCW went against the trend and brought there politics to the forefront of there product was it right no but entertaining yes. I watched wcw to keep up with there angles but i've always been a WWE guy the point i'm trying to make is that Without stiff competition its not as good. The attitude era is when all that came together i respect all three of your opinons humbly.
It's just that people watch the past with rose-tinted glasses. If WCW was here today and the 'Monday Night War' was still going, I think most people would dislike the product, atleast the smarks and smarts.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jan 4th, '11, 01:25

Big Red Machine wrote:I have actually been thinking about this a lot, and Austin certainly would have been a star withouth the Attitude Era, but I don't know if he would have been a mega-star without it.
I did come up with one name who I think wouldn't have been a star without the Attitude-Era enviornment, and name might surprise a lot of you: Lita.

Let's face it. Lita wasn't just cool becuase she was a woman doing the high-flying stuff that was normally only done by men. Lita was cool because she didn't back down from anyone. Because she was willing to get involved in stuff. Lita wouldn't have been Lita if she didn't do things like Hurricanrana E &C. I just finsihed watching TLC II for my review of WM17. It is my favorite TLC match, in part because of the interferences by Rhino, Spike, and Lita, which I thought was that sort of intagible factor that gave the match that little extra oomph of awesomeness that often results from the few times that overbooking works. Anyway, when those interferences happened, Lita looked like she belonged there. It wasn't weird to see a woman running down to the ring and getting involved in exactly the same way that we had seen men do earlier (props to Spike Dudley for also looking like he belonged in the ring with a bunch of guys who outwieghed him by at least 70 pounds each). Lita thrived from the Attitude Era atmoshphere because it allowed for inter-gender violence. She looked good for being able to hit the guys with moves that only guys did, and she looked tough for being able to take the smae moves as the guys, and being out for just as long as the guys were.
I agree with all of this. Lita was fantastic because she was what women needed to see when they needed to see it. She benefitted HUGELY from the environment she was in because women were starting to stand up to men, and they looked up to her as a role model. I know I certainly did.