2 Cents: Mark Henry

Get your opinions out
Forum rules
All Topics must start with "2 cents:" continued by the wrestler, event, segment, match being talked about.

example:
2 cents: John Cena
cero2k
Site Admin

2 Cents: Mark Henry

Post by cero2k » Jul 20th, '11, 18:21

One of the senior members of the roster, has been with the WWF/E for more than 15 yrs. Once won the World's Strongest Man Competition, yet never the WWE Gold. What's your opinion on Mark Henry??

Big Red Machine

Re: 2 Cents: Mark Henry

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 20th, '11, 21:15

He is a decent big man, but is a bit too big to be able to lose because people just can't physically pick him up.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Jul 21st, '11, 08:13

Sucks.
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 21st, '11, 10:03

I like him, i wouldn't put the belt on him, but he's a decent monster gimmick. his moves are basic, but extrapolated with his size and weight, he should start doing a vader bomb as a finisher.

the problem is like BRM mentions that it's hard to apply a lot of moves on him, so scoop slams end up being devastating, but c'mon, it's a freaking scoop slam

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 21st, '11, 12:52

hm,,As face he wasnt so good at all,,But then again was never really given a chance,,Its not like he ever feuded against any heels during that time officially,was widely used to put over Nexus here and there,,but now that hes gone heel again,,hes doing not so bad,,,Its good how theyre pushing and getting him over as a heel,,classic big man against other big men to show strength and power
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jul 21st, '11, 22:20

Mark Henry has ALWAYS, since his debut years ago, left me wondering who in the hell is backstage that thinks I want to watch this.

I found his original "World's Strongest Man" gimmick to be uninspired and bland.

I thought he failed hard as the muscle behind The NOD because he was surrounded by three guys that actually have talent, making him look less intimidating and instead exposing him for the no selling lump of crap he is in the ring.

I saw Sexual Chocolate as a desperate last ditch effort to get him over using shock value, but did nothing more than take away from the awesomeness that is D-Lo Brown. Leave it to Mark Henry to suck the life out of anything good that's anywhere near him.

I don't remember what happened to him after that, maybe he was fired or something. I just know it was nice. Fast forward to WWECW, which was "Break Time for Bob-O" in the world of wrestling. That had potential 'cause Heyman was involved, but I'm not sure. I won't risk my time going back and checking it out.

Face Mark Henry is what I remember next, palling around with Santino and Evan Bourne, defending the likes of Hornswaggle against Chavo Guerrero. Stealing valuable TV time from midcarders that actually had a chance at going over someday.

This brings me to now, where I'll admit he's doing the best work of his career. I don't think it's great, but his show with.... well, 'Show, has entertained me as much as the program Christian and Orton are putting on (which I'm afraid will never ever end). However, insert "Sheamus" or "Barrett" into that Mark Henry slot with Big Show, same storyline, and I think it would have blown the doors off of Smackdown. Ether one of those guys could have benefited far more than Henry from a clean win over Big Show on PPV, not to mention all the time and development received going into it.

Then there's that time he threw a beer at a fan over in Ireland. "Throw all the beer you want, Mark, just don't go droppin' any homophobic slurs. Don't go there, buddy..." What an idiot.

I've always thought that Henry's problem is that they market him and his character as a "strong man", when I think he'd make a much more entertaining "fat man". Leave the strong stuff for the guys with muscles. Seriously. Like Yokozuna or King Kong Bundy or Rikishi. Have him sit on people and demand "5 counts". Hell, have him eat chips or spaghetti or something on the way to the ring. "HORNSWAGGLE! YOU'RE NEXT! I'M A EAT'CHU!!!" Now, THAT I would watch and I would like it.

kiel297

Post by kiel297 » Jul 22nd, '11, 05:43

Wasn't there a point where Mark Henry was managed by Teddy Long?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 22nd, '11, 05:51

kiel297 wrote:Wasn't there a point where Mark Henry was managed by Teddy Long?
Yup. Back in late 2003.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Verdun

Post by Verdun » Jul 22nd, '11, 07:34

I don't really care much for Henry.

Nothing against him, but nothing he does really gets my interests.
Lady Luck is smiling...

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » Jul 22nd, '11, 10:11

I'm not a Mark Henry fan either. He's been the same for so long. I hated him as a face because i thought it kinda killed anything he had going as a heel. When he turned heel again i realized he didn't have anything going there either....

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jul 22nd, '11, 12:02

It's about time that he (and Truth) were given the opportunity to silence the critics; and both guys are doing a damn good job. I think Henry is better in the ring now than he's ever been, his character is more intriguing than it's ever been, and I think he's actually marketable now also....