2 Cents: BFG Series

Get your opinions out
Forum rules
All Topics must start with "2 cents:" continued by the wrestler, event, segment, match being talked about.

example:
2 cents: John Cena
badnewzxl

2 Cents: BFG Series

Post by badnewzxl » Jul 22nd, '11, 12:44

What do you guys think of the BFG Series?

Rabid619

Re: 2 Cents: BFG Series

Post by Rabid619 » Jul 22nd, '11, 12:46

Im not impressed. Crimson leads as of right now with 31 points while Samoa Joe has 0?!! Give me a break....

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 22nd, '11, 13:29

Rabid619 wrote:Im not impressed. Crimson leads as of right now with 31 points while Samoa Joe has 0?!! Give me a break....
both make sense in the respective angles though
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » Jul 22nd, '11, 14:07

KILLdozer wrote:both make sense in the respective angles though
This is supposed to be a series not based around angles and yet Crimson who really is too green to be at the top is #1. Crimson isn't ready for the title push yet, Morgan deserves it over him big time. Has for over a year now.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 22nd, '11, 14:10

Rabid619 wrote:
KILLdozer wrote:both make sense in the respective angles though
This is supposed to be a series not based around angles and yet Crimson who really is too green to be at the top is #1. Crimson isn't ready for the title push yet, Morgan deserves it over him big time. Has for over a year now.
but Regardless of angles it just makes Kayfab sense for the undefeated guy to be on top,,Even though I agree Crimson is not anywheres near read for where hes headed,,One think I like about the series is its very hard to guess who could become new champion
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 22nd, '11, 14:23

I like the idea of the series, and i'm willing to ignore that New Japan had just finished theirs.

the thing i don't like is that
1 ) it's biased, they're obviously pushing some guys a lot more than others other than having them all win and lose and eventually give the final points to the one they wanted to win.

2 ) it shouldn't be mixed with tag team bouts, ladder matches, fatal four ways, etc.

3 ) there's too many angles going around mixed with this series, the matches should all show who is the best wrestler, but then you introduce stories and then you start having other things more important than the series going on.

4 ) it feels like not everyone has equal opportunities, I can't really tell thanks to the house shows having matches, but i feel like Joe has had waaay to many matches while Storm has only had a few.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 22nd, '11, 16:02

cero2k wrote:
4 ) it feels like not everyone has equal opportunities, I can't really tell thanks to the house shows having matches, but i feel like Joe has had waaay to many matches while Storm has only had a few.
THIS! Everyone should have an equal number of total possible points earned!
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jul 23rd, '11, 00:56

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote:
THIS! Everyone should have an equal number of total possible points earned!
you guys are jumping the gun; they could make up for this by having Storm involved in more matches for the next few weeks and Joe in less.

Here's the breakdown prior to this weeks IMPACT:

(1) Crimson - 31 points (4-0-0-1)
(2) Gunner - 21 points (3-2-0-0)
(3) Brother Devon - 21 points (3-4-0-0)
(4) Matt Morgan - 14 points (2-2-0-0)
(5) James Storm - 14 points (2-2-0-0)
(6) Rob Van Dam - 14 points (2-1-0-0)
(7) Bully Ray - 14 points (2-1-0-0)
(8) A.J. Styles - 14 points (2-3-0-0)
(9) Scott Steiner - 7 points (1-1-0-0)
(10) Robert Roode - 7 points (1-2-0-2)
(11) Samoa Joe - 0 points (0-3-0-0)
(12) The Pope - 0 points (0-6-0-1)

some guys have been in more matches so far, but that doesn't mean it won't even out. If you go to the MLB standings right now you'll see that not every team has played the same amount of games as the others, but we all know it'll even out eventually.

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jul 23rd, '11, 01:10

cero2k wrote: 2 ) it shouldn't be mixed with tag team bouts, ladder matches, fatal four ways, etc.

3 ) there's too many angles going around mixed with this series, the matches should all show who is the best wrestler, but then you introduce stories and then you start having other things more important than the series going on.
These are the reasons I LIKE the BFG series, lol. I like that more guys are getting tv time, that there are storylines happening WITH these characters WITHIN a greater angle, and that we're getting interesting, unpredictable matches, match ups, and scenarios with these wrestlers. Their standing in the series will eventually lead them each to a sort of major point: Crimson will lose his first match, AJ will be betrayed by Daniels, Joe will find his mean streak again, Pope will show his true colors to Devon (whatever they may be), there will be some falling out between the Immortal members, RVD will put on a clinic again (like he use to), and Matt Morgan will win the shot that gets him his first World Title.

I have to say, although I kinda like this angle with Pope, Devon should not be in the series; nor should Steiner. Eric Young and Hernendez should have been involved....

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 23rd, '11, 08:54

badnewzxl wrote: you guys are jumping the gun; they could make up for this by having Storm involved in more matches for the next few weeks and Joe in less.

some guys have been in more matches so far, but that doesn't mean it won't even out. If you go to the MLB standings right now you'll see that not every team has played the same amount of games as the others, but we all know it'll even out eventually.
that there is the problem and why i don't think it's fair. look at the standings, the guys with angles going on around them have a bunch of matches (pope and devon have 7!!) while guys that are filler in the series only have a few (Steiner has 2) that would imply that in the weeks to come, we'll get more Steiner matches and less Pope and devon, but it's not true, they need to continue giving pope and devon matches in order to further their story.

i wanna believe that at the end everyone will have the same equal opportunity to the same points, but it's not looking that way. and the mixed type of matches i see as this. It's not weird for RVD or AJ Styles to be in a ladder match, but it is for Steiner or Matt Morgan. it's not a fair match, some guys have environments in which they work best. You can't make Joe vs RVD in a submission match and honestly expect RVD to 1) get a submission and 2 )be it good enough to make Joe tap out. kinda unfair if you ask me.

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jul 23rd, '11, 15:46

cero2k wrote:
badnewzxl wrote: you guys are jumping the gun; they could make up for this by having Storm involved in more matches for the next few weeks and Joe in less.

that there is the problem and why i don't think it's fair. look at the standings, the guys with angles going on around them have a bunch of matches (pope and devon have 7!!) while guys that are filler in the series only have a few (Steiner has 2) that would imply that in the weeks to come, we'll get more Steiner matches and less Pope and devon, but it's not true, they need to continue giving pope and devon matches in order to further their story.

i wanna believe that at the end everyone will have the same equal opportunity to the same points, but it's not looking that way. and the mixed type of matches i see as this. It's not weird for RVD or AJ Styles to be in a ladder match, but it is for Steiner or Matt Morgan. it's not a fair match, some guys have environments in which they work best. You can't make Joe vs RVD in a submission match and honestly expect RVD to 1) get a submission and 2 )be it good enough to make Joe tap out. kinda unfair if you ask me.
They don't have to have matches to get their angle over; Devon & Pope have done a pretty good job with the backstage segments. And just bc they won't have as many BFG series matches doesn't mean they won't have ANY matches.

What you're saying about the match types not being fair doesn't make sense; by that logic the MITB matches aren't fair to guys like Kane (who's actually won one such match; and Morgan won the ladder match this past week, so he wasn't THAT disadvantaged). The point of the series is that the winner will have to excel in several different match types on a consistent basis in order to win the title shot. Having just one fall singles matches every week would be just plain boring; all they're doing is spicing it up. All these different match types give the competitors who aren't fairing so well, excuses for their losses, which in turn leads to angles. Presently, Joe has a legit gripe bc he's been placed in more non-singles bouts than anyone. They can use this "unfairness" to Joe's advantage and have him lash out against it, giving him something he can run with if hes not the guy who wins the title shot.