Sting's New Gimmick!!! Yay or Nay???

Tell it to the world!!
SONICdopeFRESH

Re: Sting's New Gimmick!!! Yay or Nay???

Post by SONICdopeFRESH » Jul 20th, '11, 16:42

Big Red Machine wrote: Exactly! Hell, some of Hogan's best-worked matches aren't even talked about (like his match in 94 with Fujinami).
Because who's the other guy?
Booker T: "HIP BONE CONNECTED TO THE LEG BONE!!!" ...... Cole: "WHAAAAT?"

SONICdopeFRESH

Post by SONICdopeFRESH » Jul 20th, '11, 16:42

Big Red Machine wrote:The African King thing was Booker purposely using a different accent because he wanted to try to get acting gigs.
Where'd you read that at? Because I read that he hated the gimmick.

SONICdopeFRESH

Post by SONICdopeFRESH » Jul 20th, '11, 16:50

Big Red Machine wrote: Wrestling is about putting on good matches and telling good stories. If you do one well enough, people are generally willing to overlook the other. Sting, at this point, is doing neither well enough to be a champion. The last time he did either one well enough was his matches in 2009 against AJ at BFG and against Foley at Lockdown. Age is irrelevant. Like I said, I will take guys like Dave Taylor, Robbie Brookside, Scott Steiner, Jerry Lynn who are all around that same age, or a guy like Flair when Flair was that age... because they are/were still putting on great matches.

As for Kane... yes, his Chokeslam isn't as good, but it still looks fine. And Kane ALWAYS looked like a gorilla lumbering to the top rope. That was the point. He is a big man. He is supposed to. And his running clothesline is fine for a big man. Big men aren't supposed to be that quick.
You keep saying what Sting isn't doing. Well, explain HOW he isn't doing it right. Because I have explained how he is. 2009 was good against AJ. Come on, it's AJ. The dude is sick in ring. Of course it'll look good. But from what I have seen, especially with his recent 4-5 months, and others have agreed, it has been solid enough to be a world champion. His gimmick is intense, and while guys may not LIKE him ripping the joker, he plays it good. Liking it, and realizing he's doing it good are 2 different things. Hell, I'm not too big a fan of it, I'd much rather see The Crow.

Kane's chokeslam looks like a botched Rock bottom damn near. It's only good looking on a guy less than 200 pounds. He lifts you like a foot off the ground now. And no he hasn't. Watch his get up to the top from say 2000, to now. He takes baby steps up there now. Almost like if you walk up the stairs, and put 2 feet on each step. And, you saying his running clothesline is fine is ridiculous, because it doesn't even look like it should hurt whatsoever. Sting can still put a little something on his splash. Heck, even John Cena's 5 knuckle shuffle looks more effective than kane's limping turnbuckle clothesline... or whatever's left of it.

SONICdopeFRESH

Post by SONICdopeFRESH » Jul 20th, '11, 16:52

Big Red Machine wrote: Haven't we done the whole look at the viewer's Sting has brought in when he returned to TNA before??? So he has brought a few heads in. Considering how bad of a company TNA is, that's something to be proud of.
And how long do they stay for? One week? Two?

So you are saying that if Sting were not in TNA, you would not watch it at all?[/quote]

Well, his viewership went up and remained better than normal when he returned to win the title.

And yes. The product became pretty bad when hogan came over. While it has gotten a bit better, it's not enough for me to put my life on hold to watch it... I will do so since I know I can see Sting there. It's not like the WWE where there is a legacy there.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 20th, '11, 20:25

SONICdopeFRESH wrote:
cero2k wrote:sorry dude, but on this one, BRM is still correct, Hogan HAS legendary matches, the most legendary of the all. Hogan vs Andre, Hogan vs Warrior, Hogan vs Savage, Hogan vs Rock. they may not be technical masterpieces, but legendary nonetheless
Pretty sure somewhere along the forum, a legendary matchup has been said to be one of technical greatness. The match that gives you the feeling of a 10/10... Unless those type of statements don't hold weight in this case. Which then would make BRM's statement incorrect. I still say you DON'T have to be technically good to be the best. Hell, Hogan, and the LOD were the 3 best you'll ever see. LOD being tag of course. And they were all stiff. Thus, would prove my continuous statements about being moreso a great character rather than wrestler, more important to make a legendary match, right?
Not all legendary matches are 10/10, and not all 10/10 matches need to be technically amazing. Hell... look at some of the mid-90's All-Japan stuff everyone talks about: A bunch of that is just people chopping each other for 40 minutes, then hitting 3 straight finishers, but people seem to love that. Atmosphere is a HUGE deal.

More importantly, though, is my first point that not all legendary matches are 10/10. The first two TLC matches are legendary, and neither of those is a 10/10. Same for Dragon vs. Low Ki vs. Daniels at The Era Of Honor Begins. Neither is Bret vs. Owen at Wrestlemania or Savage vs. Steamboat at WM 3, or Hogan vs. Andre.
Being a great character goes into the atmosphere because of the way it makes the fans react. No one but Chris Hero could have possibly captained the CZW squad against ROH. It just wouldn't have worked anywhere near as well, because Hero is such a great character that he is so hated.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 20th, '11, 20:26

SONICdopeFRESH wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: Exactly! Hell, some of Hogan's best-worked matches aren't even talked about (like his match in 94 with Fujinami).
Because who's the other guy?
You've never heard of Tatsumi Fujinami?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 20th, '11, 20:38

SONICdopeFRESH wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:The African King thing was Booker purposely using a different accent because he wanted to try to get acting gigs.
Where'd you read that at? Because I read that he hated the gimmick.
http://www.owwfan.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... t=Booker+T

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 20th, '11, 20:50

SONICdopeFRESH wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: Wrestling is about putting on good matches and telling good stories. If you do one well enough, people are generally willing to overlook the other. Sting, at this point, is doing neither well enough to be a champion. The last time he did either one well enough was his matches in 2009 against AJ at BFG and against Foley at Lockdown. Age is irrelevant. Like I said, I will take guys like Dave Taylor, Robbie Brookside, Scott Steiner, Jerry Lynn who are all around that same age, or a guy like Flair when Flair was that age... because they are/were still putting on great matches.

As for Kane... yes, his Chokeslam isn't as good, but it still looks fine. And Kane ALWAYS looked like a gorilla lumbering to the top rope. That was the point. He is a big man. He is supposed to. And his running clothesline is fine for a big man. Big men aren't supposed to be that quick.
You keep saying what Sting isn't doing. Well, explain HOW he isn't doing it right. Because I have explained how he is. 2009 was good against AJ. Come on, it's AJ. The dude is sick in ring. Of course it'll look good. But from what I have seen, especially with his recent 4-5 months, and others have agreed, it has been solid enough to be a world champion. His gimmick is intense, and while guys may not LIKE him ripping the joker, he plays it good. Liking it, and realizing he's doing it good are 2 different things. Hell, I'm not too big a fan of it, I'd much rather see The Crow.

Kane's chokeslam looks like a botched Rock bottom damn near. It's only good looking on a guy less than 200 pounds. He lifts you like a foot off the ground now. And no he hasn't. Watch his get up to the top from say 2000, to now. He takes baby steps up there now. Almost like if you walk up the stairs, and put 2 feet on each step. And, you saying his running clothesline is fine is ridiculous, because it doesn't even look like it should hurt whatsoever. Sting can still put a little something on his splash. Heck, even John Cena's 5 knuckle shuffle looks more effective than kane's limping turnbuckle clothesline... or whatever's left of it.
On the Kane ting, I very much disagree. As for Sting... I have said it multiple times in my review of basically every match he has had! All of his singles matches start off spending a good 5 to 10 minutes on the floor brawling (while the ref just follows them around and yells at them to get back in the ring, rather than count them out), with Sting whipping his opponent into the wall in the Impact Zone a bunch of times. Then they brawl through the crowd to the other wall where he does it again a few times. Then they brawl back to the ring. Then they finally get back into the ring (from this point on, the referee starts to actually enforce the count-out rule) where Sting's offense consists of just punches, Stinger Splashes, and his finishers. That's it.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 20th, '11, 21:09

SONICdopeFRESH wrote:
Well, his viewership went up and remained better than normal when he returned to win the title.

And yes. The product became pretty bad when hogan came over. While it has gotten a bit better, it's not enough for me to put my life on hold to watch it... I will do so since I know I can see Sting there. It's not like the WWE where there is a legacy there.
The ratings have actually been pretty much the same for the entirety of 2011: hovering between a 1.1 and a 1.3. The March 3rd Impact got a 1.4... but that was because they had been hyping that up for months and months.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

SONICdopeFRESH

Post by SONICdopeFRESH » Jul 25th, '11, 09:43

Big Red Machine wrote:Not all legendary matches are 10/10, and not all 10/10 matches need to be technically amazing. Hell... look at some of the mid-90's All-Japan stuff everyone talks about: A bunch of that is just people chopping each other for 40 minutes, then hitting 3 straight finishers, but people seem to love that. Atmosphere is a HUGE deal.

More importantly, though, is my first point that not all legendary matches are 10/10. The first two TLC matches are legendary, and neither of those is a 10/10. Same for Dragon vs. Low Ki vs. Daniels at The Era Of Honor Begins. Neither is Bret vs. Owen at Wrestlemania or Savage vs. Steamboat at WM 3, or Hogan vs. Andre.
Being a great character goes into the atmosphere because of the way it makes the fans react. No one but Chris Hero could have possibly captained the CZW squad against ROH. It just wouldn't have worked anywhere near as well, because Hero is such a great character that he is so hated.
The 1st 2 TLC matches were legendary because they were new. Idk about the Dragon one. never seen it. And you said legendary careers make legendary matches. BUT, I have said time to time the actual in ring work doesn't matter. It's about how big of a character you are. So essentially you'd be agreeing with my theories all of day 1, right? Because by this, Goldberg v. Hogan is the most legendary match of the 90's. Which I'm all for....

SONICdopeFRESH

Post by SONICdopeFRESH » Jul 25th, '11, 09:44

Big Red Machine wrote: You've never heard of Tatsumi Fujinami?
Nope. Closest to knowing what or who he is, is our Fujinami restaurant which I'm sure has NO relation about 20 minutes from my house.

SONICdopeFRESH

Post by SONICdopeFRESH » Jul 25th, '11, 09:51

Big Red Machine wrote: On the Kane ting, I very much disagree. As for Sting... I have said it multiple times in my review of basically every match he has had! All of his singles matches start off spending a good 5 to 10 minutes on the floor brawling (while the ref just follows them around and yells at them to get back in the ring, rather than count them out), with Sting whipping his opponent into the wall in the Impact Zone a bunch of times. Then they brawl through the crowd to the other wall where he does it again a few times. Then they brawl back to the ring. Then they finally get back into the ring (from this point on, the referee starts to actually enforce the count-out rule) where Sting's offense consists of just punches, Stinger Splashes, and his finishers. That's it.
Let's see. So the past Smackdown, I hope you didn't think kane put on. Because, that same offense you accuse Sting of, Kane did. Punch punch punch, uppercut, uppercut, attempt the finisher twice. Horrible turnbuckle splash/clothesline & gorilla like top roped clothesline. He has no legs. His legs left him 5 years ago, but he's still trying to go... He hasn't been any good in ring since I'd say 05. Sting still gets around good. I see more a wee little bit mat wrestling, a quicker paced match, and a better attack then what I do of kane.

SONICdopeFRESH

Post by SONICdopeFRESH » Jul 25th, '11, 09:52

Big Red Machine wrote: The ratings have actually been pretty much the same for the entirety of 2011: hovering between a 1.1 and a 1.3. The March 3rd Impact got a 1.4... but that was because they had been hyping that up for months and months.
And that means they were hyped for who??? Sting. Must mean ppl still want to see him.

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » Jul 25th, '11, 11:10

SONICdopeFRESH wrote:And that means they were hyped for who??? Sting. Must mean ppl still want to see him.
If i remember correctly, Sting wasn't announced for the show. They stole the 2/21/11 idea and made a vid VERY similar which in itself was downright retarded AND instead of giving the kids a chance to have some time they brought back the old fart. I respect what Sting did in NWA & WCW plus his earlier TNA stuff BUT right now he has no business holding the title belt around his waist. He's 52, can't work a good match which is more then psychology which in that match STUNK. It was a pointless title change except for the fact they needed to get the belt off of Hardy who shouldn't have gotten it back from Anderson.

Sting is almost like the Big Show, you put him in a match with the title on the line against guys who should have the belt over him and he'll get the belt. Why? Not because he deserves it. He gets it because TNA writers suck and don't know what they're doing. Why do you think everyone dislikes and even hate Vince Russo so much? He puts in swerves for the sake of having them. He likes to play hot potato with a WORLD TITLE. If the TNA writers were smart then Anderson would still be champion from when he won the title at Genesis. Jeff Hardy wouldn't have won the belt back as it did nothing and Sting wouldn't have won it either. If Sting feels the need to stay in the ring, put over the younger guys without getting a title shot or even a real chance at becoming a World Champion again. When TNA doesn't know what to do, they put the title back on Sting. Which is TNA FAIL!!!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 25th, '11, 16:51

SONICdopeFRESH wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:Not all legendary matches are 10/10, and not all 10/10 matches need to be technically amazing. Hell... look at some of the mid-90's All-Japan stuff everyone talks about: A bunch of that is just people chopping each other for 40 minutes, then hitting 3 straight finishers, but people seem to love that. Atmosphere is a HUGE deal.

The 1st 2 TLC matches were legendary because they were new. Idk about the Dragon one. never seen it. And you said legendary careers make legendary matches. BUT, I have said time to time the actual in ring work doesn't matter. It's about how big of a character you are. So essentially you'd be agreeing with my theories all of day 1, right? Because by this, Goldberg v. Hogan is the most legendary match of the 90's. Which I'm all for....
1. Only slightly. It was just new marketing. The famous E&C vs. Hardyz ladder match from 99 used a lot of chairs, and there wasn't much of a different between the TLC matches and the "Triangle Ladder Match" from Wrestlemania 2000. And if TLC I was new, then TLC II wasn't.

2. I said that "legendary careers are made by legendary matches. Not that the careers make the matches. Booking, characters, and ringwork make the matches great.

3. Even if one followed your belief that everything was made by characters, the most legendary match of the 90's would be Rock vs. Austin or Hogan vs. Flair, not Hogan vs. Goldberg.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 25th, '11, 17:01

SONICdopeFRESH wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: You've never heard of Tatsumi Fujinami?
Nope. Closest to knowing what or who he is, is our Fujinami restaurant which I'm sure has NO relation about 20 minutes from my house.
Tatsumi Funjinami is a Japanese wrestling legend. Please tell me you've heard of at least some of the following:
Mitsuharu Misawa
KENTA
Kenta Kobashi
Hayabusa
Jinsei Shinzaki
Jun Akiyama
Kensuke Sasaki
Akira Hokuto
Katsuhiko Nakajima
Akira Taue
Toshiaki Kawada
Mil Mascaras
Robbie Brookside
Johnny Saint
Johnny Kidd
Rikidozan
Stan Hansen
Jumbo Tsuruta
Manami Toyota
The Jumbing Bomb Angels
Aja Kong
Dick Togo
Blue Demon
Blue Demon Jr.
El Santo
El Hijo del Santo
Jushin Liger
The Great Muta
Gran Hamada
Mariko Yoshida

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Robert Randall

Post by Robert Randall » Jul 25th, '11, 17:06

Big Red Machine wrote:
Tatsumi Funjinami is a Japanese wrestling legend. Please tell me you've heard of at least some of the following:
Mitsuharu Misawa
KENTA
Kenta Kobashi
Hayabusa
Jinsei Shinzaki
Jun Akiyama
Kensuke Sasaki
Akira Hokuto
Katsuhiko Nakajima
Akira Taue
Toshiaki Kawada
Mil Mascaras
Robbie Brookside
Johnny Saint
Johnny Kidd
Rikidozan
Stan Hansen
Jumbo Tsuruta
Manami Toyota
The Jumbing Bomb Angels
Aja Kong
Dick Togo
Blue Demon
Blue Demon Jr.
El Santo
El Hijo del Santo
Jushin Liger
The Great Muta
Gran Hamada
Mariko Yoshida

I've heard of like 95% of these people (excluding 4 or 5), just haven't seen many matches
when I say I'm the ish, I'm not being cocky or conceited, I'm merely telling you what others told me "Rob, you're the ish"

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 25th, '11, 17:07

SONICdopeFRESH wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: On the Kane ting, I very much disagree. As for Sting... I have said it multiple times in my review of basically every match he has had! All of his singles matches start off spending a good 5 to 10 minutes on the floor brawling (while the ref just follows them around and yells at them to get back in the ring, rather than count them out), with Sting whipping his opponent into the wall in the Impact Zone a bunch of times. Then they brawl through the crowd to the other wall where he does it again a few times. Then they brawl back to the ring. Then they finally get back into the ring (from this point on, the referee starts to actually enforce the count-out rule) where Sting's offense consists of just punches, Stinger Splashes, and his finishers. That's it.
Let's see. So the past Smackdown, I hope you didn't think kane put on. Because, that same offense you accuse Sting of, Kane did. Punch punch punch, uppercut, uppercut, attempt the finisher twice. Horrible turnbuckle splash/clothesline & gorilla like top roped clothesline. He has no legs. His legs left him 5 years ago, but he's still trying to go... He hasn't been any good in ring since I'd say 05. Sting still gets around good. I see more a wee little bit mat wrestling, a quicker paced match, and a better attack then what I do of kane.
That's a street-fight. Not a regular match. Did you also miss the part where he was selling his leg?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 25th, '11, 17:19

SONICdopeFRESH wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: The ratings have actually been pretty much the same for the entirety of 2011: hovering between a 1.1 and a 1.3. The March 3rd Impact got a 1.4... but that was because they had been hyping that up for months and months.
And that means they were hyped for who??? Sting. Must mean ppl still want to see him.
You clearly have no memory whatsoever. The things that were hyped up were:
1. The Jarrett-Angle crap with Jeff and Karen "renewing their vows" while Kurt was forced to serve as Best Man.
2. The final result of the Dixie-Hogan court-case.
3. The Velvet Sky vs. Sarita blow-off
4. The fact that they were taking Impact on the road

The Sting thing got 3 seconds of hype after the show was off the air, was done in the least tasteful way possible, and didn't even mention his name, and it wasn't ever mentioned aside from those three seconds.

So anyone tuning in to see Sting would have had to have been watching the show already.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

womenwrestlerfan
Future Endeavored

Post by womenwrestlerfan » Jul 25th, '11, 21:11

I like it and I'm so digging it

and plus, I agree with one guy on YT when he said that STING should play The Joker in the Next Batman Movie LOL

But all in all, I'm liking it