I'm watching "The Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior"

All WWE/F Related Reviews and Discussions
Lynas
Future Endeavored

I'm watching "The Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior"

Post by Lynas » Jan 24th, '12, 05:18

So I'm watching The Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior... and I just have to ask... did anybody other than some stupid fans like that guy?

Heenan, hated his guts, and claimed he was just plain dangerous.
Andre, a famously friendly guy hated his guts and put a punch square in his face during a match because he was a dick.

Everybody in the video, Hogan, Jericho, JR, Vince, DiBiase Snr, Slaughter, King & various, all admitted the guy couldn't wrestle for shit... he couldn't cut a promo for shit, because he spoke bollocks.

He was handpicked to lead the WWE after Wrestlemania VI and pretty much failed.

He had energy, but he sucked hard.

So my question is... why the fuck was Warrior successful?

Just because of a look and intensity...?

yourcrapsweak

Re: I'm watching "The Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warri

Post by yourcrapsweak » Jan 24th, '12, 06:31

He had the look and had the in-ring charisma (energy) that was undeniable. Little kids saw him and watched in awe. WWE doesn't care if you can't wrestle. And you have to think that this DVD was made pretty much to bash Warrior, so they wouldn't have any people who actually liked him, so it could be bias.
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 24th, '12, 06:54

I mean... a lot of them have major reasons for disliking Warrior, especially after what he did to Vince and the company.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jan 24th, '12, 14:55

yourcrapsweak wrote:He had the look and had the in-ring charisma (energy) that was undeniable. Little kids saw him and watched in awe. WWE doesn't care if you can't wrestle. And you have to think that this DVD was made pretty much to bash Warrior, so they wouldn't have any people who actually liked him, so it could be bias.
This. I was a kid during his time (tho very synical, even then) and all my peers love the Warrior. In fact, my sophomore year in College I watched this DVD with some of my frat bros and a few of them had a life altering moment; it was priceless =)) . They were devastated that Hogan and others were trashing the Warrior; they absolutely loved that guy. When they found out he was a total dick, it was like they had a catharsis or something.....

Lynas
Future Endeavored

Post by Lynas » Jan 25th, '12, 04:19

Big Red Machine wrote:I mean... a lot of them have major reasons for disliking Warrior, especially after what he did to Vince and the company.
Completely this. He even got two chances after that and fucked em both.

I didn't actually know Warrior did that until I watched the DVD. If I was Vince I'd have fired his ass too. Only I'd have gone a step worse. But Vince saved face and gave what was promised. I'd have denied his request. Fired him for breach of contract and then told the fans exactly why. I'd have buried the son of a bitch.

Turns out he pretty much buried himself with it anyways.

Big Bad Booty Daddy

Post by Big Bad Booty Daddy » Mar 5th, '12, 16:37

The impression i got from the dvd, was that Warrior was just there for making big bucks and that was it. I was a massive Warrior fan when i was a kid but this dvd shocked me!!! I heard the rumours bout him refusing to work for McMahon at Summerslam 1990 or 91 whichever it was,

I think he just thought he was bigger then the WWE when he wasnt