Roderick Strong
“The Notorious 187” Homicide
Eddie Kingston
Cedric Alexander
Rhino
Jay Lethal
Rhett Titus
“Unbreakable” Michael Elgin

Since capturing the title at “Border Wars”, Kevin Steen has faced those eleven men and, by hook or by crook, maintained his standing as the ROH World Champion. Of those previous challengers, two men are very much on the outside of the World Title picture looking in. Per a stipulation in his match with Davey Richards at “Best in the World 2012”, the former World Champion cannot challenge Steen again for the title. Per a part of Steen's “negotiations” with ROH officials following the events of “Killer Instinct”, Jay Lethal can never again challenge Kevin either.

While there are still nine other men in that list who are more than deserving of getting a championship rematch at some point, ROH officials know that the well is running dry on new challengers for the title and, to be quite frank, those officials are growing more desperate to get the title off of Kevin Steen.

So with Steen's championship reign entering its five month and with our final “Ring of Honor Wrestling” TV Tapings of the year just over a week away, in an effort to give somebody a chance that has never before had a shot at Steen, ROH officials used a special randomized computer drawing to pick a fresh challenger. All the names that were entered into the program were men that have never had an opportunity to face Steen for the championship including:

-Charlie Haas
-Shelton Benjamin
-Jay Briscoe
-Mark Briscoe
-Adam Cole
-Kyle O’Reilly
-BJ Whitmer
-Lancelot Bravado
-Harlem Bravado
-“The Prodigy” Mike Bennett
-Caprice Coleman

The man who will receive this championship opportunity, the individual who will have a chance to fulfill his dream, as well as that of ROH officials, will be....

… “The Prodigy” Mike Bennett!

“It is about damn time.” said Bennett to ROHWrestling.com Tuesday morning, “I put a likely end to the career of Lance Storm, I've proven myself the best wrestler to ever come out of Boston, I put Mike Mondo on the shelf, I've got the most beautiful woman in the world at my side, and am without a doubt the best face ROH could have representing this company. Still, despite all that, I've always been an afterthought when it comes to the ROH World Title. Hell I'm shocked ROH officials even bothered to put me into their computer program if you want me to be honest. Still, I'm not about to look this gift horse in the mouth. One shot is all I need, one opportunity to end this little nightmare, not for Ring of Honor, not for the integrity of the title or whatever garbage I heard after Rahway, but for myself and for my Maria. After Pittsburgh, I will be the face of Ring of Honor for 2013 and beyond. It's going to be my face on the DVD covers, my face on the posters, and The Prodigy is the guy that the ROH Universe will have to call their champion!”

It will be “Wrestling's Worst Nightmare” Kevin Steen defending his ROH World Title against “The Prodigy” Mike Bennett when we return to The Rostraver Ice Gardens on November 3rd for the final TV tapings of 2012! Add that to the TV Title match between Cole & O'Reilly and the Elgin/Richards rematch, and these are looking to be the most loaded TV tapings yet!!! Get your tickets here and don't miss out on this huge TV taping!
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Re: Next ROH World Title Challenger Announced

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 23rd, '12, 16:58

Not going to lie, I am disappointed with the way they did this. If you are going to say the choice was kayfabe randomly picked from a list of everyone who has never had a shot against Steen before, give the shot to someone who normally wouldn't be near the title picture. Caprice Coleman would be fine here. Bennett should get a title shot at some point... but not like this. Have Bennett go on a win streak and convince ROH management that he deserves a title shot. That would make Bennett seem more credible. Coleman doesn't need to look super-credible for World Title shot because he is a midcard tag team guy. All he needs to do is wrestle for twelve minutes, get the crap kicked out of him and show a lot of heart.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 23rd, '12, 17:04

the problem i see with this is that you won't expect any of the random choices to win the title, so it's just a title match for the sake of it. and if the title were to change for some odd reason it will be because ROH wanted to swerve the fans

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 23rd, '12, 17:10

cero2k wrote:the problem i see with this is that you won't expect any of the random choices to win the title, so it's just a title match for the sake of it. and if the title were to change for some odd reason it will be because ROH wanted to swerve the fans
From a kayfabe pov, there is a reason for the title match: as they said in the article, ROH Management wants the belt off of Steen (and as they mentioned on TV last week, before the Sinclair Affiliates dinner). Of course no one expects a title change, so that is why you spend this shot on someone who doesn't have momentum because no momentum will be wasted.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 23rd, '12, 17:40

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote:the problem i see with this is that you won't expect any of the random choices to win the title, so it's just a title match for the sake of it. and if the title were to change for some odd reason it will be because ROH wanted to swerve the fans
From a kayfabe pov, there is a reason for the title match: as they said in the article, ROH Management wants the belt off of Steen (and as they mentioned on TV last week, before the Sinclair Affiliates dinner). Of course no one expects a title change, so that is why you spend this shot on someone who doesn't have momentum because no momentum will be wasted.
I completely understand that

from a Kayfabe perspective, why would you put someone like a bravado that has not much momentum and believe that he can take the title off Steen if the big guys already felt short.

from a business perspective, how do you sell a show with a marquee match of Steen vs Harlem Bravado?

This is 100% lazy booking, if they wanna run the idea that management wants the title off Steen, they stack the odds against him instead of booking the mid card in a title match. You would imagine that by now, we would have seen more triple threat matches for the title or instead of booking a bravado or a briscoe, make the effort to bring in some old ROH champs, bring in some Japan guys, Morishima was just in the US for a small tour this month, why not try to book a one night only challenge of Morishima vs Steen.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 23rd, '12, 19:33

cero2k wrote:
from a Kayfabe perspective, why would you put someone like a bravado that has not much momentum and believe that he can take the title off Steen if the big guys already felt short.
This is a fair point.
cero2k wrote: from a business perspective, how do you sell a show with a marquee match of Steen vs Harlem Bravado?
You don't. This is a show that already has Richards vs. Elgin, Cole vs. O'Reilly for the TV Title, a special attraction in MsChif, and I believe the tag titles will also be defended. The World Title match doesn't need to help sell the show. You have something at the end of it that builds to Steen vs. Generico and you are fine.
cero2k wrote: This is 100% lazy booking, if they wanna run the idea that management wants the title off Steen, they stack the odds against him instead of booking the mid card in a title match. You would imagine that by now, we would have seen more triple threat matches for the title or instead of booking a bravado or a briscoe, make the effort to bring in some old ROH champs, bring in some Japan guys, Morishima was just in the US for a small tour this month, why not try to book a one night only challenge of Morishima vs Steen.
I hadn't considered the triple threat thing. That is a great idea. Morishima vs. Steen would also be awesome. As for fomrer champs, there aren't many left that ROH can use that Steen hasn't beaten. He has beaten Davey, Eddie, Roddy, and Cide, Nigel is retired, and ROH can't use Joe, Aries, Dragon, Tyler, Gibson, or Punk. I'm not sure what Ki's story is, bu he might be signed with Evolve or something, and no one cares about Xavier. Lynn would be a good idea, though. Should be a good match and it is very promotable to mainstream fans.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 23rd, '12, 19:48

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote: This is 100% lazy booking, if they wanna run the idea that management wants the title off Steen, they stack the odds against him instead of booking the mid card in a title match. You would imagine that by now, we would have seen more triple threat matches for the title or instead of booking a bravado or a briscoe, make the effort to bring in some old ROH champs, bring in some Japan guys, Morishima was just in the US for a small tour this month, why not try to book a one night only challenge of Morishima vs Steen.
I hadn't considered the triple threat thing. That is a great idea. Morishima vs. Steen would also be awesome. As for fomrer champs, there aren't many left that ROH can use that Steen hasn't beaten. He has beaten Davey, Eddie, Roddy, and Cide, Nigel is retired, and ROH can't use Joe, Aries, Dragon, Tyler, Gibson, or Punk. I'm not sure what Ki's story is, bu he might be signed with Evolve or something, and no one cares about Xavier. Lynn would be a good idea, though. Should be a good match and it is very promotable to mainstream fans.
well, not only old champs, but some other guys that are credible in the indys like when they did Kingston or some tough challengers like when Dragon was defending against guys like Christian or Lance Storm. Matt Hardy was starting something cool with Steen, why not try to book him.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 23rd, '12, 20:21

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
well, not only old champs, but some other guys that are credible in the indys like when they did Kingston or some tough challengers like when Dragon was defending against guys like Christian or Lance Storm. Matt Hardy was starting something cool with Steen, why not try to book him.
Honestly, I don't know which credible indy guys are out there that they could bring in who aren't signed with Gabe. I'm not sure if Sami Calihan is still with Evolve, but other than him, maybe Quack, and MAYBE Super Dragon, who else could they get? I don't think that a guy like Akuma or even Ruckus is at the level someone would need to be at for ROH to bring them in as a good challenge for Steen.

Actually, now that I think about it, Erick Stevens and Necro Butcher would both be great one-shot bring-ins to do something like this.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 23rd, '12, 20:34

Big Red Machine wrote:
Honestly, I don't know which credible indy guys are out there that they could bring in who aren't signed with Gabe. I'm not sure if Sami Calihan is still with Evolve, but other than him, maybe Quack, and MAYBE Super Dragon, who else could they get? I don't think that a guy like Akuma or even Ruckus is at the level someone would need to be at for ROH to bring them in as a good challenge for Steen.

Actually, now that I think about it, Erick Stevens and Necro Butcher would both be great one-shot bring-ins to do something like this.
those are good names, maybe Shingo, Paul London, I don't know what Albright is doing, Cabana, Low Ki, Shelley, a lot of those names are quite relevant that would at least create more buzz than Steen vs mid card guys.

imagine working a deal for a short Kenta tour

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Oct 23rd, '12, 23:25

Mike Bennett? :ymsick:

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 23rd, '12, 23:27

badnewzxl wrote:Mike Bennett? :ymsick:
Watch this man shit all over the place if somehow,in a distant universe...He won =))
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 23rd, '12, 23:30

He's not super-atrocious in the ring. He's not great, but it's not like he is a complete and total botchfest. He is awesome on the mic, too. I am honestly surprised that WWE hasn't singed him yet. He seems perfect for the WWE.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 24th, '12, 23:01

Corino & Jacobs defending against Whitmer & Titus has just been announced.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Oct 24th, '12, 23:09

Big Red Machine wrote:
He's not super-atrocious in the ring. He's not great, but it's not like he is a complete and total botchfest. He is awesome on the mic, too. I am honestly surprised that WWE hasn't singed him yet. He seems perfect for the WWE.
I don't like him at all; I'm tired of his push. The reason I used the vomit-smiley was bc I thought this meant he had won SOTF. He is most def NOT thy fittest

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Oct 25th, '12, 13:57

I always hated these kinds of angles, the "management can't stand having the title on so and so, so they're trying to get it off him" angle. Cornette has the power to strip him, does he not?
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 25th, '12, 14:35

yourcrapsweak wrote:I always hated these kinds of angles, the "management can't stand having the title on so and so, so they're trying to get it off him" angle. Cornette has the power to strip him, does he not?
Yes, but that would ruin the integrity of the belt, both in kayfabe and non-kayfabe, because everyone would know that Steen still deserves to be the champion because he never lost the belt and it was taken from him unfairly.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 25th, '12, 22:19

yourcrapsweak wrote:I always hated these kinds of angles, the "management can't stand having the title on so and so, so they're trying to get it off him" angle. Cornette has the power to strip him, does he not?
i would like to point out that with Roode and Steen. TNA did a better job with story than ROH, at least in the selection and execution of matches.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 25th, '12, 22:27

cero2k wrote:
i would like to point out that with Roode and Steen. TNA did a better job with story than ROH, at least in the selection and execution of matches.
I don't think they did a better job. They both failed. TNA never gave a reason why management wanted the belt off of Roode other than they didn't like him. With ROH, they have told us why management wants the belt off of Steen, but have, for the most part, failed to demonstrate that Steen actually is a risk (stuff like him threatening a sponsor or punching the fan were good, but they should have been doing this much earlier.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Oct 30th, '12, 15:09

Big Red Machine wrote:
Yes, but that would ruin the integrity of the belt, both in kayfabe and non-kayfabe, because everyone would know that Steen still deserves to be the champion because he never lost the belt and it was taken from him unfairly.
Would it? Doesn't stripping him also say that he wasn't the kind of champion ROH wants to represent their company, to the extreme that they had to strip him? I think it would make the belt look even more important. It's like firing a guy from a job; if he's unfit for the job, he gets it taken away. It doesn't take away from the position, it takes away from the guy.
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 30th, '12, 15:49

yourcrapsweak wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
Would it? Doesn't stripping him also say that he wasn't the kind of champion ROH wants to represent their company, to the extreme that they had to strip him? I think it would make the belt look even more important. It's like firing a guy from a job; if he's unfit for the job, he gets it taken away. It doesn't take away from the position, it takes away from the guy.
it does make the title seem a bit more important, but it also makes it seem like the ROH roster is not at the level of Steen because they had to go to that extent.