So, the IOC is dropping wrestling from the Olympics...

The sky is the limit
Verdun

So, the IOC is dropping wrestling from the Olympics...

Post by Verdun » Feb 21st, '13, 09:55

Now announcing the WWE-led, WORLD OLYMPICS OF PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING!
A week long (duration negotiable) showcase of professional wrestling around the world!

Here's the idea, WWE and a few other big wrestling companies sponsor an international showcase and send out invitations to other relevant companies to participate. (Event to be held 6 months to a year later depending on prep time.)

Companies that participate have their quaint little matches and tourneys to decide who gets to participate and what not.

All the while cute little promos and vignettes document the efforts of companies abroad to the WWE audience to hype the event and show real, credible challengers and talent.

The usual promo cutting of I'm going to win for the company or I'm winning for me etc. etc. Usual kayfabe politicking and plotting going about.

I would assume that WWE, NJPW, and probably CMLL would be required but beyond that I have no idea on dream companies involved.

The event itself I have split into 4 parts and how to spread the time is anybodies guess.

1. Classical Wrestling Showcase - Even though I said professional wrestling, I think it's important that we showcase the origin and have some real classic Olympic style wrestling.

2. Dream Match Exhibitions - With the talent pool as it is we should have a handful of exhibitions showcasing cross brand dream matches possibly done by internet voting. Gimmick matches maybe?

3. Tag Team Tournament of Champions - A single elimination tag team tournament pitting the best tag teams and showing the distinctions between tag team and singles wrestling.

4. Grand Champion of Wrestling Tournament - Of course the main event, a tournament featuring headlining superstars of every participating company. I was thinking having the format like the G1 Climax in New Japan; a two-block round robin tournament to crown the Grand Champion of wrestling.

------------------------------------------

So I just thought of this out of the blue this morning. I know it's ridiculously far from feasible but this is fantasy, right?
As you can also see, I'm light on the specifics as I'm largely ignorant of the world of wrestling outside WWE or TNA and I only get small snip its of NJPW. If anybody wants to flesh it out for fun or change aspects or even fill in names for companies or wrestlers have all the fun you want.
Lady Luck is smiling...

Big Red Machine

Re: So, the IOC is dropping wrestling from the Olympics...

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 21st, '13, 10:14

I think you'll find that most of your dream matches have already happened, and that most of those that haven't are either going to be WWE guy vs. Puro guy or Kurt Angle vs. Indy guy.

Off the top of my head the only ones that aren't are Dudleys vs. Kings of Wrestling, Kurt vs. Ziggler and Kurt vs. Punk, and Kurt vs. Dragon (and let's face it, that last one really still is Kurt vs. Indy guy).
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 21st, '13, 15:10

They could do it at NATIONAL PRO WRESTLING DAY!!

I'd love to see Angle vs Swagger in a real technical match.

Verdun

Post by Verdun » Feb 22nd, '13, 09:16

Big Red Machine wrote:I think you'll find that most of your dream matches have already happened, and that most of those that haven't are either going to be WWE guy vs. Puro guy or Kurt Angle vs. Indy guy.

Off the top of my head the only ones that aren't are Dudleys vs. Kings of Wrestling, Kurt vs. Ziggler and Kurt vs. Punk, and Kurt vs. Dragon (and let's face it, that last one really still is Kurt vs. Indy guy).
You do have a point with the dream matches, though my intention was pushing more for an international competition like the Olympics with companies instead of nations. But the idea of dream matches would be a strong selling point.
Lady Luck is smiling...