ROH/NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 9 Rumor Killer

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

ROH/NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 9 Rumor Killer

Post by cero2k » Nov 13th, '14, 10:14

Source: pwinsider.com

Ring of Honor issued the following press release to PWInsider.com, likely due to the ridiculous stories making the rounds online that ROH was going to prevent New Japan from using their talent at the 1/4/15 Tokyo Dome show since it is going to air on PPV. That was never, ever the case as ROH was aware of the PPV situation when their talent was originally booked, but the story took on a life of it's own for some reason. PWInsider.com had already previously noted here on the site there was no truth to the story.
The press release reads:

reDRagon to Defend Titles at NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 9 in Tokyo!

November 13th, 2014 [ Baltimore, MD ] - Ring of Honor is proud to announce that Kyle O’Reilly and Bobby Fish, the tag team known as reDRagon, will be defending their newly won IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship on January 4, 2015 at the Tokyo Dome.

The match will feature reDRagon vs. Time Splitters vs. Young Bucks vs. Alex Koslov and Rocky Romero.

“We are very proud of reDRagon’s accomplishments in winning the IWGP Titles,” said Ring of Honor Chief Operating Officer Joe Koff. “While they are signed to exclusive deals with ROH, it is a great honor to have them competing in New Japan Pro Wrestling, a most prestigious organization.”

Ring of Honor and New Japan enjoy a mutually beneficial relationship which allows for top talent from each organization to wrestle on major events with international interest. Later this month, Michael Bennett and Matt Taven with Maria Kanellis will take part in the legendary New Japan Pro Wrestling World Tag League tournament. Then on December 7th live on pay-per view at ROH's Final Battle 2014, ROH World Tag Team Champions reDRagon will defend against New Japan's own Alex Shelley and Kushida, The Time Splitters.

“We have the utmost respect for New Japan, “ explained Koff. “They are a truly classy organization. We look forward to a long standing relationship so that our talent can appear in Japan and their talent can wrestle at our events in America.”

Big Red Machine

Re: ROH/NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 9 Rumor Killer

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 13th, '14, 13:18

Well... there goes that rumor. In fact, I think the whole thing may have started just because Jarrett went to meet with Koff and Delirous that one time.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 13th, '14, 14:27

Big Red Machine wrote:Well... there goes that rumor. In fact, I think the whole thing may have started just because Jarrett went to meet with Koff and Delirous that one time.
this. I'm sure Jarrett's meeting was a formality, but dirty sheets gotta dirt and started the whole thing

kirbs2002

Post by kirbs2002 » Nov 14th, '14, 02:23

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:Well... there goes that rumor. In fact, I think the whole thing may have started just because Jarrett went to meet with Koff and Delirous that one time.
this. I'm sure Jarrett's meeting was a formality, but dirty sheets gotta dirt and started the whole thing
I've long felt that on slow days they just pull stuff out their ass to see what they can force to happen.
Reality TV is faker than "fake" wrestling!

"The views that I'm about to express are not necessarily those of anyone else but myself, but they ought to be and, in fact, they probably are"

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 14th, '14, 02:36

kirbs2002 wrote:
cero2k wrote:
I've long felt that on slow days they just pull stuff out their ass to see what they can force to happen.
This one theoretically could have been an issue, though, because of the way that ROH's contracts work (and TNA's would also have the same problem). ROH guys can appear on New Japan PPVs and iPPVs because ROH has a working agreement with New Japan. But in the US, this is branded as a GFW PPV, which would mean that the ROH guys (including the world champ and the tags champs) would be appearing on GFW PPV.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

kirbs2002

Post by kirbs2002 » Nov 14th, '14, 04:49

Big Red Machine wrote:
This one theoretically could have been an issue, though, because of the way that ROH's contracts work (and TNA's would also have the same problem). ROH guys can appear on New Japan PPVs and iPPVs because ROH has a working agreement with New Japan. But in the US, this is branded as a GFW PPV, which would mean that the ROH guys (including the world champ and the tags champs) would be appearing on GFW PPV.
It's only an issue with WWE and TNA because they have exclusive contracts. I don't think ROH signs wrestlers (at least, not all of them) to exclusive contracts.
Reality TV is faker than "fake" wrestling!

"The views that I'm about to express are not necessarily those of anyone else but myself, but they ought to be and, in fact, they probably are"

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 14th, '14, 07:13

kirbs2002 wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
It's only an issue with WWE and TNA because they have exclusive contracts. I don't think ROH signs wrestlers (at least, not all of them) to exclusive contracts.
Not 100% exclusive, but ROH's contracts (and Gabe's too, I believe) are exclusive for iPPVs and PPVs.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation