BOTB: Royal Rumble

All Time Greatest, Worst, Sickest, Weirdest, Funniest...you get the idea.
Earth Child

BOTB: Royal Rumble

Post by Earth Child » Jan 24th, '11, 06:17

In keeping with this weeks theme of the Royal Rumble, I thought I'd make this.

What is, in your opinion, the best Royal Rumble.

It can be The Rumble itself or the entire PPV.

My pick would be 1999. The running storyline is that Vince put a bounty on Stone Cold's head for anyone who would eliminate him from the Rumble match.

There was the hilarious bit where the Nation of Domination burst into Austin's locker room only to find a foam hand flipping the bird to them. You gotta watch it to see the humor.

Anyways. The Rumble itself was very entertaining and the stuff with Austin and Vince is classic.

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BOTB: Royal Rumble

Post by cero2k » Jan 24th, '11, 13:59

my personal favorite is 2004.

- Benoit Winning the rumble
- Eddie Guerrero vs Chavo Guerrero
- Lesnar killing Holly
- Triple H vs HBK

yeah...it was nice :D

Sassafras

Post by Sassafras » Jan 24th, '11, 15:02

Mick Foley entered the Rumble 3 times in one night
Plus, the Undertaker/HBK Casket Match

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Jan 24th, '11, 17:27

Earth Child wrote:There was the hilarious bit where the Nation of Domination burst into Austin's locker room only to find a foam hand flipping the bird to them. You gotta watch it to see the humor.
This was in '98.
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

Cactus Jack Manson

Post by Cactus Jack Manson » Jan 24th, '11, 17:46

The best Royal Rumble was 1990. Think of all the people that were in that Rumble that are ledgends & HOF's:
Ravishing Rick Rude, Mr. Perfect, Hulk Hogan, Macho King, Million Dollar Man, Jimmy Sunka, Ultimate Warrior, Jake Roberts, Kevin Von Eric, Haku, Andre The Giant and others.

Now as far as the best Royal Rumble PPV in it whole, that's a tough choice considering the fact that it's not known for having great cards. Also, most of them will have 1 great/good match and the rest of them will suck. So I will have to say the 2003 Royal Rumble because of Benoit/Angle for the WWE Championship. That match save the PPV from the disaster that was Triple H/ Steiner World Title Match. Plus, you had Brock Lesnar vs. Big Show in an ok match. Then the Rumble itslef was cool. It started the Jericho/Micheal feud for Wrestlemania.
R.I.P. Randy Mario Poffo, aka Randy "Macho Man" Savage
11/15/52 - 5/20/11

ECWFlairfan

Post by ECWFlairfan » Jan 24th, '11, 19:51

Tie between 2004 (Benoit's win) & 1992 (Flair's win)

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jan 24th, '11, 20:49

2002 for me.

HHH's return
Mr. Perfect
the Godfather's surprise return (Awesome)
Austin eliminating Chuck Palumbo and Christian with stunners, then throwing Christian back in the ring, stunning him
again, and eliminating him again.
All the former WCW and ECW guys in their first Rumble

Earth Child

Post by Earth Child » Jan 25th, '11, 00:13

yourcrapsweak wrote:
Earth Child wrote:There was the hilarious bit where the Nation of Domination burst into Austin's locker room only to find a foam hand flipping the bird to them. You gotta watch it to see the humor.
This was in '98.

Damn it was!

I thought it was apart of 1999 because they were trying to get the bounty. I'm getting all confuddled

Thanks YCW

Aggro

Post by Aggro » Jan 25th, '11, 08:31

My favourtie Rumble was the 1992 when Ric Flair won it and became WWF Champion! Hogan had one the previous two and was regarded as the favourite going into the event. Flair came in very early and from there Monsoon and Heenan were having some classic back and fourths on commentary.

Hogan's elimination was awesome, I remember marking out to that! Sid (Justice) dumped him over the top, starting the feud which came to a head at Wrestlemania 8.

I liked all the Rumbles back then, they were proper Rumbles, with plenty of men in the ring at anyone time. Even Hulk Hogan was rarely in the ring on his own at any one time. He and Warrior had planted the seed for their match at WM6 during the 1990 Rumble, yet did it less than 2 minutes because I think Mr Perfect came out shortly after the Criss Cross exchange! Nowadays it seems like we have two wrestlers in the ring, then someone comes out and clears the ring. Another guy comes down, gets thrown out, then another, then a rival of the guy in the ring comes out and they go at it for a while. Punk last year springs to mind, as well as HHH.

Cactus Jack Manson

Post by Cactus Jack Manson » Jan 26th, '11, 21:32

Aggro wrote:My favourtie Rumble was the 1992 when Ric Flair won it and became WWF Champion! Hogan had one the previous two and was regarded as the favourite going into the event. Flair came in very early and from there Monsoon and Heenan were having some classic back and fourths on commentary.

Hogan's elimination was awesome, I remember marking out to that! Sid (Justice) dumped him over the top, starting the feud which came to a head at Wrestlemania 8.

I liked all the Rumbles back then, they were proper Rumbles, with plenty of men in the ring at anyone time. Even Hulk Hogan was rarely in the ring on his own at any one time. He and Warrior had planted the seed for their match at WM6 during the 1990 Rumble, yet did it less than 2 minutes because I think Mr Perfect came out shortly after the Criss Cross exchange! Nowadays it seems like we have two wrestlers in the ring, then someone comes out and clears the ring. Another guy comes down, gets thrown out, then another, then a rival of the guy in the ring comes out and they go at it for a while. Punk last year springs to mind, as well as HHH.
I hate to be a stickler for WWF events, but Mr. Perfect was number 30, and you had The Barbarian, Rick Rude, & Hercules after the criss-cross exchange. I know, I'm an ass hole.
11/15/52 - 5/20/11

Aggro

Post by Aggro » Jan 27th, '11, 01:39

Hey, I ain't watched it for something like 15 years, the VHS cassette finally died! Not a bad recollection from memory lol!

I have literally just purchased the tagged classics dvd's and have the first four rumbles. I watched the first one from 89 a couple of nights ago and up next is 1990!

Lynas
Future Endeavored

Post by Lynas » Jan 27th, '11, 03:45

Royal Rumble 2001

(Back when Sunday Night Heat was a pre-lude to PPV's)
Tag team match for a spot in the Royal Rumble match
Lo'Down (D'Lo Brown & Chaz) vs Kaientai in a
(Spot went to Drew Carey anyway)

WWF Tag Team Championship
The Dudley Boyz vs Edge & Christian

WWF Intercontinental Championship Ladder Match
Chris Jericho vs Chris Benoit

WWF Women's Championship
Ivory vs Chyna

WWF Championship
Kurt Angle vs Triple H

Royal Rumble Entrants.
01 Jeff Hardy
02 Bull Buchanan
03 Matt Hardy
04 Faarooq
05 Drew Carey
06 Kane
07 Raven
08 Al Snow
09 Perry Saturn
10 Steve Blackman
11 Grand Master Sexay
12 Honky Tonk Man
13 Rock
14 Godfather
15 Tazz
16 Bradshaw
17 Albert
18 Hardcore Holly
19 K-Kwik
20 Val Venis
21 William Regal
22 Test
23 Big Show
24 Crash Holly
25 Undertaker
26 Scotty 2 Hotty
27 Steve Austin
28 Billy Gunn
29 Haku
30 Rikishi

Info from during the Rumble Match
-Matt & Jeff Hardy eliminate each other as Drew Carey enters.
-Drew Carey comes face to face with Kane & offers him money not to hurt him and after Raven saves him from the chokeslam, Carey jumps the top rope and leaves.
-Kane hits 11 eliminations (a record to this day) & lasts 53 minutes.
-Big Show chokeslams The Rock through an announce table.
-Scotty Too Hotty gets battered in a 2 on 1 situation with Kane & The Undertaker
-Austin enters and gets attacked by Triple H and despite entering at number 27, was actually the last man to enter the match and went on to win it by eliminating Kane.

Earth Child

Post by Earth Child » Jan 27th, '11, 03:57

I liked 2001 too. The Rumble match itself was entertaining. They brought in weapons and the stuff with Drew Carry was amusing despite it being unnecessary

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jan 27th, '11, 07:09

Earth Child wrote:I liked 2001 too. The Rumble match itself was entertaining. They brought in weapons and the stuff with Drew Carry was amusing despite it being unnecessary
True. This one and the one Flair won are 2 & 3 respectively in my book

Cactus Jack Manson

Post by Cactus Jack Manson » Jan 28th, '11, 22:52

badnewzxl wrote:
Earth Child wrote:I liked 2001 too. The Rumble match itself was entertaining. They brought in weapons and the stuff with Drew Carry was amusing despite it being unnecessary
True. This one and the one Flair won are 2 & 3 respectively in my book
The Rumble itself for 1992 was awesome. But the PPV was awful. Roddy Piper vs. The Mountie for the IC title, and The Mountie beat Bret Hart when he had a 102 fever (storyline? I'm not sure, but Bret wasn't in the Rumble event). Then The New Foundation vs. the 2nd version of The Orient Express. That was a decent match because of Owen Hart, period. Then, the best match of the card, The Natural Disasters vs. L.O.D. for the tag team titles. And then you have The Beverly Brothers vs. The Bushwackers. GROSS!!!!!
11/15/52 - 5/20/11

Cactus Jack Manson

Post by Cactus Jack Manson » Jan 28th, '11, 22:55

Aggro wrote:Hey, I ain't watched it for something like 15 years, the VHS cassette finally died! Not a bad recollection from memory lol!

I have literally just purchased the tagged classics dvd's and have the first four rumbles. I watched the first one from 89 a couple of nights ago and up next is 1990!
1990 had crappy matches. But the Rumble Is...wait for it....LEGENDARY!!!!!! You will enjoy it. Plus the 1991 Rumble isn't half bad either.
11/15/52 - 5/20/11