BRM Reviews Royal Rumble 2011

All WWE/F Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews Royal Rumble 2011

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 31st, '11, 02:33

WWE Royal Rumble 2011 (1/30/2011)- Boston, MA

WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH: Edge(c) vs. Dolph Ziggler (w/Vickie Guerrero)- 7.5/10. GREAT opener!
Good promo by Vickie reminding us that If Edge hits the Spear, he will be DQed and Dolph will be awarded the World Heavyweight Title.

WWE TITLE MATCH: The Miz(c) (w/Alex Riley) vs. Randy Orton-6/10. I just wasn’t into this one. The finish was eh. Hopefully Punk will explain his actions by saying that he intends to win the Rumble, and he would rather face Miz than face Orton. I really don’t want to see Orton destroy the New Nexus like we know he will.

CODY RHODES PUBLIC STATEMENT- Good

There is a guy in FULL CLOWN MAKEUP SITTING BEHIND THE GM PODIUM!

WWE DIVAS TITLE MATCH: Natalya(c) vs. Michelle McCool vs. Layla vs. Eve Torres-4/10. Creative finish.
EVE TORRES?! REALLY? If you are going to throw someone in there, why not AWESOME KONG!!!!!!

The announcers asked if a Double Sharpshooter had ever been done before. Yes it has. AT THE LAST PPV!

DRAGON-GAIL-BELLAS SEGMENT- pretty good. Good promo by Dragon. Am I the only one who finds it funny that the Bellas are claiming to be hotter than Gail Kim, when they clearly aren’t?

ROYAL RUMBLE!!- 9.25/10. The Rumble was AMAZING It told a few GREAT stories, made great use of surprise returns Nash & Booker both got HUGE pops, and Nash seemed ridiculously over! ),had fun spots, cool spots, and goo d booking that made the right guys (Jackston, Ryan) look like monsters.

Here are my thoughts as I was watching this, since I don’t feel like putting them into a paragraph:
1. I LOVE Punk being #1. Remember that “hypothetical” that Husky Harris was talking about on Raw? It’s not a hypothetical anymore!

2. LOVED the Nexus vs. Corre brawl!

3. HOLY SH*T! MORRISON IS AWESOME! That is BY FAR the coolest use of a technicality in history! Mae Young could win this Royale Rumble and it would still be the most awesome Rumble EVER!

4.GREAT heat on Nexus

5. GREAT booking to put over Mason Ryan!

6. GREAT pop for BOOKER T!!!!!!!!

7. Punk was eliminated WAY too early

8. They should have done the Cena-Hornswoggle stuff to just one guy. The first time it was cute. The second time it became annoying

9. I was not a fan of Ziggler and Orton being in the Rumble. They already wrestled tonight. Give us Trent Barretta or someone like that so a guy like Swagger or McIntyre doesn’t have to go through this with no eliminations.

10.KEVIN NASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Striker almost cursed! Nash got a HUGE pop!

11. Santino gave me a f*cking heart attack!

12. I was disappointed that we didn't get much Nexus vs. Corre in the actual Rumble match itself.

13. On a personal note, I was extremely disappointed that Kane didn’t reclaim his record from HBK. Here’s to hoping for next year!
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Aggro

Re: BRM Reviews Royal Rumble 2011

Post by Aggro » Jan 31st, '11, 05:37

9.25 for the Rumble? Slightly excessive in my book, but It was a great Rumble. 8-8.5/10 for me.

I thought it was perfect until Cena came in and cleared The New Nexus entirely. After that it seemed to lose something. Plus I thought Booker T was eliminated too early.

Kevin Nash coming in as Diesel was a strange one IMO. I did like it but I wonder if it is a one time thing and he will still be in TNA as Nash in the near future. Same with Booker T and the fact he wasn't in there too long.

Loved Striker when it was just Punk and Dragon at the beginning!

My main gripe was with Cole though. I'm sorry, I know people say that he is succedding as Heel commentator if he annoys you, but there is a difference in being an entertaining Heel commentator and just being an d***. Jessie Ventura, Bobby Heenan and Jerry Lawler(Pre Attitude era) were entertaining Heel commentators. Cole's continuous "Thanks for coming", "Nice seeing you" comments when someone was eliminated or close to elimination really riled me and not in an entertaining way. I felt they bordered on disrespectful when aimed at some of the lower card guys.

Very happy with the winner BTW! And no dramatic HHH return, yippee!

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jan 31st, '11, 06:31

Big Red Machine wrote:3. HOLY SH*T! MORRISON IS AWESOME! That is BY FAR the coolest use of a technicality in history! Mae Young could win this Royale Rumble and it would still be the most awesome Rumble EVER!
No sh*t! I've been telling people this for forever! Haha. I freaked out when he did that!!!!! Who else do you know that could have done that and made it look so natural!

On another note, my PPV froze so I totally missed Booker T... That's pretty awesome that he was in it too. When Nash came out I legitimately screamed "WHAT?!" because I thought he was still talking with TNA and said that he didn't want to be in the WWE again because he felt like he'd be "owned". Liked that he finally dyed his hair though. :P

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » Jan 31st, '11, 06:41

Serujuunin wrote:No sh*t! I've been telling people this for forever! Haha. I freaked out when he did that!!!!! Who else do you know that could have done that and made it look so natural!
I was expecting Morrison to stay in there longer since they've been pushing him so much lately.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jan 31st, '11, 06:44

Rabid619 wrote:
Serujuunin wrote:No sh*t! I've been telling people this for forever! Haha. I freaked out when he did that!!!!! Who else do you know that could have done that and made it look so natural!
I was expecting Morrison to stay in there longer since they've been pushing him so much lately.
I knooow. I hate WWE Creative right now... I mean, they're pushing guys only to have them fall flat when clearly the fans are behind them... Ungh.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 31st, '11, 09:38

Aggro wrote:9.25 for the Rumble? Slightly excessive in my book, but It was a great Rumble. 8-8.5/10 for me.

I thought it was perfect until Cena came in and cleared The New Nexus entirely. After that it seemed to lose something. Plus I thought Booker T was eliminated too early.
I agree that it definitely died when the Hornswoggle crap started, but it managed to pick again when the bigger names came out.

As for Booker T, I thought they did something GENIUS with him (& Khali).
They started off with Nexus just killing people. First Tyler Reks, then good babyfaces like R-Truth, then a bigger guy like Kozlov. Then KHALI came out and eliminated Harris!... before Ryan came out and eliminated Khali (making him look like a monster). Then BOOKER T came out and did all of his stuff. He was kicking Nexus' asses... until the numbers game caught up to him and they eliminated him, too. THEN Cena came out and eliminated them all. It was like the "hope spot" in any match, where the babyface starts to make a comeback, only to get shut down by the heel... but the babyface in this situation was us, the fans, with Kozlov, R-Truth, Booker, Khali, and Cena all acting like "part ot us." I thought it was really cool. Punk's elimination was a bit disappointing, but I guess they want to keep him and Barrett separate.
Aggro wrote: My main gripe was with Cole though. I'm sorry, I know people say that he is succeeding as Heel commentator if he annoys you, but there is a difference in being an entertaining Heel commentator and just being an d***. Jessie Ventura, Bobby Heenan and Jerry Lawler (Pre Attitude era) were entertaining Heel commentators. Cole's continuous "Thanks for coming", "Nice seeing you" comments when someone was eliminated or close to elimination really riled me and not in an entertaining way. I felt they bordered on disrespectful when aimed at some of the lower card guys.
It makes me so annoyed that I just want to see someone pop Cole in the mouth, which is great heelwork (for me, anyway).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 31st, '11, 09:40

Serujuunin wrote:
Rabid619 wrote:
I knooow. I hate WWE Creative right now... I mean, they're pushing guys only to have them fall flat when clearly the fans are behind them... Ungh.
The way he was eliminated made him look strong, so I have no gripes about it.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Darkil

Post by Darkil » Jan 31st, '11, 09:43

Aggro wrote:
My main gripe was with Cole though. I'm sorry, I know people say that he is succedding as Heel commentator if he annoys you, but there is a difference in being an entertaining Heel commentator and just being an d***. Jessie Ventura, Bobby Heenan and Jerry Lawler(Pre Attitude era) were entertaining Heel commentators. Cole's continuous "Thanks for coming", "Nice seeing you" comments when someone was eliminated or close to elimination really riled me and not in an entertaining way. I felt they bordered on disrespectful when aimed at some of the lower card guys.
Cole's character is a good heel, don't get me wrong, but imo it's gone beyond being a great heel to just a generic dbag, plain and simple. If they wanted ANYONE[including Miz] to get a good face pop they would have them beat down Michael Cole or take him out with the Raw GM Computer. OF course before smashing the laptop over Cole's head the person would need to say "May I have your attention please?" followed by clobbering Cole. Just my 2 cents...

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jan 31st, '11, 10:00

Aggro wrote: My main gripe was with Cole though. I'm sorry, I know people say that he is succedding as Heel commentator if he annoys you, but there is a difference in being an entertaining Heel commentator and just being an d***. Jessie Ventura, Bobby Heenan and Jerry Lawler(Pre Attitude era) were entertaining Heel commentators. Cole's continuous "Thanks for coming", "Nice seeing you" comments when someone was eliminated or close to elimination really riled me and not in an entertaining way. I felt they bordered on disrespectful when aimed at some of the lower card guys.
Exactly; he overdoes it too much; dangling on Miz's nuts the way he does. And just constantly getting on the other commentators; that's not what great heel commentators do. I liked it when he was telling King that King would do the same thing the heels were doing (bc he def would), but when he constantly picks at Striker and King ALL THE DAMN TIME, it's just annoying. And annoying is NOT a talent! Anyone can be exactly as annoying as Cole; they just choose to actually be GOOD at commentary...

Aggro

Post by Aggro » Jan 31st, '11, 10:02

I also had a laugh when Orton and Cena first confronted each other, it recieved next to no crowd reaction! :))

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 31st, '11, 11:24

Big Red Machine wrote: DRAGON-GAIL-BELLAS SEGMENT- pretty good. Good promo by Dragon. Am I the only one who finds it funny that the Bellas are claiming to be hotter than Gail Kim, when they clearly aren’t?
that's you dude, i like me some bellas A LOT
Big Red Machine wrote: 7. Punk was eliminated WAY too early
i'm not gonna say it was that early, because he controlled half of the match, but i do think he should had been there by the time Barrett got there.
Big Red Machine wrote: 9. I was not a fan of Ziggler and Orton being in the Rumble. They already wrestled tonight. Give us Trent Barretta or someone like that so a guy like Swagger or McIntyre doesn’t have to go through this with no eliminations.
this, i would have rather seen Trent or DHSmith than either of them, but again, they needed someone strong for Del Rio to eliminate at the end in order to make it a surprise that Del Rio won. and considering that Cena needed to go with Miz, Orton worked.
Big Red Machine wrote: 13. On a personal note, I was extremely disappointed that Kane didn’t reclaim his record from HBK. Here’s to hoping for next year!
Kane hasn't lost any records, his record is most eliminations in a single rumble, the record HBK has is most eliminations altogether, which he took from Austin.

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » Jan 31st, '11, 13:22

cero2k wrote:Kane hasn't lost any records, his record is most eliminations in a single rumble, the record HBK has is most eliminations altogether, which he took from Austin.
I think Kane had the record for most eliminations altogether at some point.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 31st, '11, 13:33

Rabid619 wrote:
cero2k wrote:Kane hasn't lost any records, his record is most eliminations in a single rumble, the record HBK has is most eliminations altogether, which he took from Austin.
probably, but the last record holder i am sure was Austin.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 31st, '11, 15:23

cero2k wrote:
Rabid619 wrote:
probably, but the last record holder i am sure was Austin.
I was pretty sure Kane at least tied Austin's record, if not broke it.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Chris Everlast

Post by Chris Everlast » Jan 31st, '11, 23:40

SvR11 says Shawn Michaels has like, 41 eliminations all over.

Kane holds the records for eliminating 11 peeps in one Rumble.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 1st, '11, 13:19

Aggro wrote:I also had a laugh when Orton and Cena first confronted each other, it recieved next to no crowd reaction! :))
I got a kick out of this also.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 1st, '11, 13:22

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: 9. I was not a fan of Ziggler and Orton being in the Rumble. They already wrestled tonight. Give us Trent Barretta or someone like that so a guy like Swagger or McIntyre doesn’t have to go through this with no eliminations.
this, i would have rather seen Trent or DHSmith than either of them, but again, they needed someone strong for Del Rio to eliminate at the end in order to make it a surprise that Del Rio won. and considering that Cena needed to go with Miz, Orton worked.
That whole booking was screwed up. All you have to do is NOT have Miz eliminate Cena, and Cena works even better in that spot. Also, you could have had someone like Show or Kane or Rey stay in longer and be that guy.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Earth Child

Post by Earth Child » Feb 2nd, '11, 04:08

When Nash first came out, the first thing I said was "HE DYED HIS HAIR AND BEARD!"

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Feb 2nd, '11, 08:17

Earth Child wrote:When Nash first came out, the first thing I said was "HE DYED HIS HAIR AND BEARD!"
Lmao that was the first thing I said after I squeaked "WHAT?!"