BRM Reviews the 8/26/2013 Raw (one of the best ever!)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 8/26/2013 Raw (one of the best ever!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 26th, '13, 22:22

OPENING SEGMENT- FANTASTIC! Hunter is SUCH A F*CKING SH*THOLE! I CAN’T WAIT UNTIL DRAGON SNAPS HIS ARM IN THE YES LOCK! This segment was f*cking awesome! And we’ll get Dragon running The Shield gauntlet! THIS WILL BE AWESOME!
I was quite disappointed that Dragon didn’t bury Hunter for buying Orton a non-environmentally friendly car. I was also disappointed that his line that started “I’m not the prettiest, I’m not the strongest” didn’t lead to a Justin Credible joke.

CODY RHODES vs. FANDANGO (w/Summer Rae)- no rating. Great segment. Maddox was outstanding here, too. Imagine Teddy Long delivering the same lines. It would have sucked. That’s because Brad Maddox is entertaining.

CODY RHODES & THE MIZ (w/Rosa Mendes) vs. DAMIEN SANDOW & FANDANGO (w/Summer Rae)- 3.5/10
I really hate Fandango’s f*cking “run away from everyone” gimmick.

ORTON & CHRISTIAN BACKSTAGE- great

CM PUNK PROMO- great

HEYMAN & AXEL BACKSTAGE- awesome!

IF PUNK WINS , HE GETS TO FACE PAUL HEYMAN IN THE RING- Curtis Axel vs. CM Punk- 6.5/10
HEYMAN IS GOING TO DIE!

THE AFTERMATH- this is one of the best segments I have ever seen. Words cannot do it justice. The whole time that Heyman is slapping Punk, it just made me SO ANGRY. The hope spot they have Punk was BRILLIANT and the beatdown with the weapons was great! This was an utterly fantastic angle. I can’t wait for Punk to get his revenge. I don’t know where it will be or when it will be, but I know that I will go absolutely batsh*t crazy for it when it happens.

NATALYA (w/the Funkadactyls) vs. BRIE BELLA (w/Nikki Bella & Eva Marie)- 1.5/10
Didn’t we just get this match at Summer Slam? Why are we getting a rematch?
Much sh*ttier than their Summer Slam match. Then AJ came out and cut a FANTASTIC promo. Just plain f*cking awesome. If you didn’t think AJ could be a serious heel, you need to watch this promo right now. I particularly enjoyed the reaction when of the crowd when AJ claimed that the Bellas “suck *dramatic pause* up to the right people.” There was this fantastic sense of “WHOA! Did she really just go there?!”
I assume that this is intended to lead to AJ vs. Nattie at the PPV, but if that was the case, Nattie should have gone over in this match.

ALBERTO DEL RIO vs.ROB VAN DAM (w/Ricardo Rodriguez)- 6.5/10
Del Rio is losing WAY too much for a major champion. Why not give RVD a #1 contendership match against someone else rather than having him beat the champ?

JOSH MATTHEWS & RYBACK SEGMENT- Josh says that everyone has been saying that Ryback has been bullying people… which brings up a question: Why have none of the babyfaces called him out on this yet?

RENEE YOUNG INTERVIEWS HEYMAN & RYBACK- AWESOME!

RANDY ORTON vs. CHRISTIAN- 7.5/10

DRAGON SPRAY PAINTS ORTON’S NEW CAR- I was worried that they were going to have him just destroy the car, which would make him look like an Austin rip-off, but what they did here was good.

MADDOX BACKSTAGE WITH ORTON & HUNTER- I wasn’t happy about Hunter saying that the WWE Title was his property and Orton is just carrying it for him, but other than that, this was great. I love that Dragon spray-painting Orton’s car wasn’t just done for the sake of doing it. It led to them telling us that everyone in the locker room hates Orton and Triple H, that Maddox is a stooge, and to Hunter making tonight’s main event a show of force.

ZEB COULTER PROMO- yeah… I will bet you a million, zillion dollars that someone, somewhere will completely misinterpret Coulter saying “you are everything that is wrong with America” while pointing at the Prime Time Players as being a homophobic remark aimed at Darren Young.

TITUS O’NEIL (w/Darren Young) vs. JACK SWAGGER (w/Zeb Coulter & Antonio Cesaro)- 4/10
The show would have been better if they had just saved this for next week when they could give it a bit more time.

WYATT FAMILY PROMO- awesome

PUNK & MADDOX BACKSTAGE- great! We have a match for Night of Champions… and Punk is going to kill Heyman!

RENEE YOUNG INTERVIEWS DOLPH ZIGGLER, BIG SHOW, & MIZ- No one wants to speak out against Triple H. AWESOME!

GAUNTLET MATCH: Daniel Bryan vs. The Shield- No rating, awesome segment.
Dragon vs. Tyler was a solid 7.75. Everything after that was just an awesome segment.
Props to Cole for calling out The Shield’s seemingly out character behavior. Doing that assures us that there will be some sort of explanation coming, rather than The Shield just changing their opinions with no explanation.

Overall… this was one of the best Raws I have ever seen. Just about everything they did here was awesome!
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BRM Reviews the 8/26/2013 Raw (one of the best ever!)

Post by cero2k » Aug 27th, '13, 14:20

Big Red Machine wrote:OPENING SEGMENT- FANTASTIC! Hunter is SUCH A F*CKING SH*THOLE! I CAN’T WAIT UNTIL DRAGON SNAPS HIS ARM IN THE YES LOCK! This segment was f*cking awesome! And we’ll get Dragon running The Shield gauntlet! THIS WILL BE AWESOME!
I was quite disappointed that Dragon didn’t bury Hunter for buying Orton a non-environmentally friendly car. I was also disappointed that his line that started “I’m not the prettiest, I’m not the strongest” didn’t lead to a Justin Credible joke.
if he starts cracking jokes, he'll be everything why fans hate cena
Big Red Machine wrote: THE AFTERMATH- this is one of the best segments I have ever seen. Words cannot do it justice. The whole time that Heyman is slapping Punk, it just made me SO ANGRY. The hope spot they have Punk was BRILLIANT and the beatdown with the weapons was great! This was an utterly fantastic angle. I can’t wait for Punk to get his revenge. I don’t know where it will be or when it will be, but I know that I will go absolutely batsh*t crazy for it when it happens.
this was really similar, but not as good as the segment from the Eddie vs Angle/Heyman build for WMXX, handcuffs and all.
[youtube][/youtube]
Big Red Machine wrote: NATALYA (w/the Funkadactyls) vs. BRIE BELLA (w/Nikki Bella & Eva Marie)- 1.5/10
Much sh*ttier than their Summer Slam match. Then AJ came out and cut a FANTASTIC promo. Just plain f*cking awesome. If you didn’t think AJ could be a serious heel, you need to watch this promo right now. I particularly enjoyed the reaction when of the crowd when AJ claimed that the Bellas “suck *dramatic pause* up to the right people.” There was this fantastic sense of “WHOA! Did she really just go there?!”
can't remember the last time i heard such a good promo in the divas division, AJ pretty much said everything i feel about the division
Big Red Machine wrote: ZEB COULTER PROMO- yeah… I will bet you a million, zillion dollars that someone, somewhere will completely misinterpret Coulter saying “you are everything that is wrong with America” while pointing at the Prime Time Players as being a homophobic
remark aimed at Darren Young.
better that than a racial remark against black people :P
Big Red Machine wrote: GAUNTLET MATCH: Daniel Bryan vs. The Shield- No rating, awesome segment.
Dragon vs. Tyler was a solid 7.75. Everything after that was just an awesome segment.
Props to Cole for calling out The Shield’s seemingly out character behavior. Doing that assures us that there will be some sort of explanation coming, rather than The Shield just changing their opinions with no explanation.

I kept screaming to the monitor for Ziggler to run out and help Dragon, I was disappointed.

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Aug 28th, '13, 01:31

What I don't get is, doesn't Big Show have a "iron clad" contract? Can't he NOT be fired?

Shogun Rua

Post by Shogun Rua » Aug 28th, '13, 06:37

I wasn't a fan of the Heyman/Punk segment. I just don't see what could make Heyman hate Punk so much. Sure, Punk doesn't want Heyman to manage him anymore, but does it really make Paul Heyman angry enough to claim that he "martyred" himself?

Poor Randy, every new car of his gets painted on.

I absolutely loved the part where Renee tries to get an interview out of some of the superstars, only for them to remain silent out of fear. This is a nice change, if it were Vince in that spot, it wouldn't have been as believable. But Triple H has a whole different kind of presence. I like how Orton is nothing more than a lackey to him (shown by HHHs line of "Randy carries it for me")

And of course, the Shield. Gotta love the Shield.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 28th, '13, 07:09

badnewzxl wrote:What I don't get is, doesn't Big Show have a "iron clad" contract? Can't he NOT be fired?
Yeah... but I assume that it just kayfabe expired.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 28th, '13, 07:12

Shogun Rua wrote:I wasn't a fan of the Heyman/Punk segment. I just don't see what could make Heyman hate Punk so much. Sure, Punk doesn't want Heyman to manage him anymore, but does it really make Paul Heyman angry enough to claim that he "martyred" himself?
You clearly have not been watching. The "martyered myself" comment refers to Heyman's firing back in 2006. At December to Dismember, Paulie wanted to put the ECW Title on Punk, but Vince wanted to put it on Lashley. They clashed about it a lot because Heyman felt very strongly that Punk was the right choice. And, of course, Vince won.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Shogun Rua

Post by Shogun Rua » Aug 28th, '13, 07:35

I get that, but why even have them align in the first place if Heyman is still bitter (other than the obvious answer of Heyman is a scumbag looking to ride off the fame of Punk)?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 28th, '13, 07:50

Shogun Rua wrote:I get that, but why even have them align in the first place if Heyman is still bitter (other than the obvious answer of Heyman is a scumbag looking to ride off the fame of Punk)?
Because he wasn't bitter until Punk decided he didn't want Heyman to manage him anymore.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 28th, '13, 10:40

Shogun Rua wrote:
I absolutely loved the part where Renee tries to get an interview out of some of the superstars, only for them to remain silent out of fear. This is a nice change, if it were Vince in that spot, it wouldn't have been as believable. But Triple H has a whole different kind of presence. I like how Orton is nothing more than a lackey to him (shown by HHHs line of "Randy carries it for me")

i'm kinda in split on this one, on one way, i don't want to Trips to take the title, but on the other, I think it's best for business for Trips to take the title at one point.

Shogun Rua

Post by Shogun Rua » Aug 28th, '13, 11:20

When HHH was an active wrestler, I dreaded the thought of him holding the title again. Now that he is in this role, it just seems fresh, and I honestly wouldn't mind another title win for him at this point. It fits the character he is trying to portray (the controlling political asshat that we, the fans, believe he is backstage).

I guess the Punk/Heyman feud makes sense, just not my cuppa.

One thing I didn't mention, I'm also not liking how much ADR loses on TV. He should be out there squashing guys every week (maybe not squashing, but at least booked to be strong). The loss against RVD makes sense, as it was just a quick roll up that caught Del Rio by surprise. More of these, less losing to Christian off the Killswitch every week.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 28th, '13, 11:59

cero2k wrote:
Shogun Rua wrote:

i'm kinda in split on this one, on one way, i don't want to Trips to take the title, but on the other, I think it's best for business for Trips to take the title at one point.
I totally disagree. Dragon needs revenge on Hunter, but not taking the title from him. He can get revenge on Hunter in other ways.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 28th, '13, 13:02

Big Red Machine wrote: I totally disagree. Dragon needs revenge on Hunter, but not taking the title from him. He can get revenge on Hunter in other ways.
no, i didn't say Dragon will take the title from him, but doesn't mean Trips could take the title from Randy at one point. Maybe Dragon will take it from Randy and Trips will take it from Dragon

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Aug 28th, '13, 13:39

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: NATALYA (w/the Funkadactyls) vs. BRIE BELLA (w/Nikki Bella & Eva Marie)- 1.5/10
can't remember the last time i heard such a good promo in the divas division, AJ pretty much said everything i feel about the division
Absolutely. I actually thought it was a face turn until I realized that we're supposed to be all about this Total Diva thing. AJ has had her breakout moments before, but that promo is the sort of thing that makes legends.
Shogun Rua wrote:I absolutely loved the part where Renee tries to get an interview out of some of the superstars, only for them to remain silent out of fear. This is a nice change, if it were Vince in that spot, it wouldn't have been as believable. But Triple H has a whole different kind of presence. I like how Orton is nothing more than a lackey to him (shown by HHHs line of "Randy carries it for me")
I think you guys are taking Hunter's ownership the wrong way. I don't think he was referring to himself as a champion, but more-so he owns the belt like he owned the Escalade before giving it to Randy. He's viewing the title as his physical property, like the ring or the Titantron or all the kendo sticks they store under the ring. I think it was more of a way to establish the COMPANY as his property, as his 'COO' title has been brought up a lot more than usual and the whole "what's best for business" surrounding the whole angle. In no way did I get the impression that Hunter would be winning the championship any time soon. Not to say it couldn't go that direction, and hey - it'd be better than The Rock, but I think these things are being done to set up Hunter's feud with Vince.
Big Red Machine wrote:
badnewzxl wrote:What I don't get is, doesn't Big Show have a "iron clad" contract? Can't he NOT be fired?
I was hoping this would be the loophole to save DB from the Shield, but I suppose it's for the best. We haven't had a good hate-driven heel build in some time.

MY major issue with everything is that the group of Superstars standing on the stage not getting involved out of fear was made up of most of the guys that walked out on Triple H once already (The Walkout that left Big Johnny in charge). I know we're not supposed to remember that, but I DO... and it's bothering me...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 28th, '13, 13:53

Bob-O wrote: I think you guys are taking Hunter's ownership the wrong way. I don't think he was referring to himself as a champion, but more-so he owns the belt like he owned the Escalade before giving it to Randy. He's viewing the title as his physical property, like the ring or the Titantron or all the kendo sticks they store under the ring. I think it was more of a way to establish the COMPANY as his property, as his 'COO' title has been brought up a lot more than usual and the whole "what's best for business" surrounding the whole angle. In no way did I get the impression that Hunter would be winning the championship any time soon. Not to say it couldn't go that direction, and hey - it'd be better than The Rock, but I think these things are being done to set up Hunter's feud with Vince.
Good call here. I think you're right about this.
Bob-O wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
I was hoping this would be the loophole to save DB from the Shield, but I suppose it's for the best. We haven't had a good hate-driven heel build in some time.

MY major issue with everything is that the group of Superstars standing on the stage not getting involved out of fear was made up of most of the guys that walked out on Triple H once already (The Walkout that left Big Johnny in charge). I know we're not supposed to remember that, but I DO... and it's bothering me...
My impression of Johnny Ace's character is that he was a corporate suit who thought he was smarter than he really was, and as a result, these guys thought they would be able to manipulate or walk all over him. With Hunter (and Steph), that ain't happening.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Aug 28th, '13, 22:06

Hold on; sorry to interrupt but I gotta see: AJ LEE CUT THE BEST FEMALE WRESTLING PROMO OF ALL TIME....

ALL TIME!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 2nd, '13, 12:11

On the Big Show thing, I read somewhere that Booker T somehow got rid of the Ironclad contract during the Del Rio feud.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Sep 2nd, '13, 16:42

Big Red Machine wrote:On the Big Show thing, I read somewhere that Booker T somehow got rid of the Ironclad contract during the Del Rio feud.
Cole or JBL made mention of it during the Bryan beat down. Not the Booker T thing, but the fact that he had it. Something along the lines of "Show knows Triple H will tear up that iron clad contract.

Besides, Booker T couldn't have gotten rid of it, Show used it as his reason/excuse for taking the time off he just returned from!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 2nd, '13, 17:03

Bob-O wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:On the Big Show thing, I read somewhere that Booker T somehow got rid of the Ironclad contract during the Del Rio feud.
Cole or JBL made mention of it during the Bryan beat down. Not the Booker T thing, but the fact that he had it. Something along the lines of "Show knows Triple H will tear up that iron clad contract.

Besides, Booker T couldn't have gotten rid of it, Show used it as his reason/excuse for taking the time off he just returned from!
Oh. Guess my source was wrong.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation