Videos and Audio Related to Wrestling
cero2k
Site Admin

A Dosis of Feels - 1998 WWE Legends Spot

Post by cero2k » Jun 20th, '14, 15:03

phpBB [video]
From this interview with former promo director David Sahadi
BBNY: What’s your favorite spot?
DS: Personally, it would have to be the “Legends” spot. It featured some WWF legends such as Freddie Blassie, Gorilla Monsoon, Killer Kowalski, Pat Patterson, and Ernie Ladd. It was right at the turning point for the WWE, where the era of “Attitude” was taking off. The premise of the commercial was to represent the passing of the torch from the older generation to the newer one.

The legends were sitting in seats at an empty arena. The copy was as follows: “I can still hear the echoes cheering my name; but today, I cheer for the younger guys.”

I remember playing the spot for Vince, and halfway through the spot he was saying, “Damn.” I had no idea whether he liked it or not. Vince actually left the room. I had asked Shane [McMahon] whether Vince liked it or not, and Shane said, “you got him.” I went outside to see tears in Vince’s eyes and he hugged and thanked me. Vince always had a soft spot in his heart for his dad and the legends. The spot meant so much to him that even a while later he was still visibly shaken by it.