Full Rundown from Cody's Full Gear Media Call

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Post Reply
User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 18843
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Full Rundown from Cody's Full Gear Media Call

Post by cero2k » Nov 8th, '19, 11:46

Source: reddit.com
Regarding his recent promo, he says that in this case it's a blessing that he's just being himself. "I'm not hiding from who I am, I'm not hiding from my position here." "Wrestling is best when it's real, so I don't know if you can even call it a promo. It was just a real statement from me, and I'm glad it resonated with fans - I really am."

Confirms that he will not challenge for the AEW championship ever again if he loses at Full Gear. Says that despite what he's heard from fans, it's "very authentic" and there's "no plot, logic device or hole in that statement."

Contrasts the style of production between WWE's Kevin Dunn and what AEW's Keith Mitchell does. Says there's "an element of danger, spontaneity, and grit" to the way their television is produced. Talks about the importance of building a "family" between the production crew and the wrestlers, and names Darby Allin as someone who's been ahead of the curve in that regard.

Regarding a midcard title or prize, he says that he gets frustrated by the term "midcard." "I think it's very possible within the next month or so, there will be a prize of some sort for the guys rising through the ranks." Talks about the importance of making the current titles respected: "It's not willy-nilly, handing these belts out, handing these prizes out. They matter, and the next one will matter just as much."

The official AEW top-five rankings should be released this evening. Will include rankings for men, women, and tag teams. The plan is to update them every Friday.

Says he debriefs every show, sending an e-mail to every department detailing things they can improve on. Says he likes receiving constructive criticism from fans, and they monitor social media for that.

On the topic of wrestler's entrance themes, he says they plan on increasing the audio levels for the songs, but doesn't want to pipe it into the TV feed, like WWE does, because he doesn't want to drown out their live crowd. "There's a lot of fire in that audience, and we want to hear them. At the cost sometimes of not hearing the music, we would rather hear the fans as loud as they are, because they've been so generous and we're so grateful for them."

They want to have more women's representation on Dynamite, especially outside of just matches (interviews, vignettes, etc). Says you can expect an up-tick in that regard "immediately after Full Gear." Cites work visas for their foreign talent as a challenge for presenting their international women's division.

On TV ratings, he says that many critics are stuck in the past in regards to the metrics involved. "We're not only looking at our Nielsens, we're looking at our social Nielsens, we're looking at our ITV representation, we're looking at our Fite usage, we're looking at an amazing amount of data." Says he's happy with where they're at, but there's definite room to grow. "Six weeks in a row we've gone head-to-head with WWE - the biggest wrestling company in the world - and six weeks in a row, they've been on the losing end." Says that speaks to the "revolution" of AEW.

Confirms judges will be "championship caliber" and that you'll be excited to see them. Non-committal on whether or not judges return for future championship bouts.

Talks about the interest of doing additional "special events," outside of Dynamite and their big four PPVs (along the lines of Fyter Fest and Fight for the Fallen).



User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 23834
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: Full Rundown from Cody's Full Gear Media Call

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 8th, '19, 12:53

cero2k wrote: and there's "no plot, logic device or hole in that statement."
I see he hasn't read my review yet, because there us a pretty big one.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 23834
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: Full Rundown from Cody's Full Gear Media Call

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 8th, '19, 12:54

Will deal with the rest of this later. His comments in the midcard are very interesting.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 18843
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: Full Rundown from Cody's Full Gear Media Call

Post by cero2k » Nov 8th, '19, 13:28

Big Red Machine wrote:
Nov 8th, '19, 12:53
cero2k wrote: and there's "no plot, logic device or hole in that statement."
I see he hasn't read my review yet, because there us a pretty big one.
gonna save us a lot of time and work

[Insert pages and pages of discussion about how the logic is there and you're nitpicking because you hate Cody Rhodes]

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 23834
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: Full Rundown from Cody's Full Gear Media Call

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 8th, '19, 14:24

cero2k wrote:
Nov 8th, '19, 13:28
Big Red Machine wrote:
Nov 8th, '19, 12:53
cero2k wrote: and there's "no plot, logic device or hole in that statement."
I see he hasn't read my review yet, because there us a pretty big one.
gonna save us a lot of time and work

[Insert pages and pages of discussion about how the logic is there and you're nitpicking because you hate Cody Rhodes]
I see yo haven't read my review, either. Even you have to admit that there is a gaping hole here. The guy says he doesn't want there to be accusations that he has abused his power to win titles so he won't ever challenge for the title again if he loses this match? What about if he wins? There is still the same potential for those accusations to pop up (for example, he could duck challengers, or pick tomato cans, or schedule title matches to his advantage. Or what if he wins the title and then loses it? Will he make the same speech again? The fact that neither he nor the announcers seem to have considered this is clearly a logic hole.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 23834
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: Full Rundown from Cody's Full Gear Media Call

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 8th, '19, 14:33

I think he's right to try to discourage use of the term midcard. Stratospheres exist, but I think the best way to book a promotion is to see most people as potential main eventers and to have people who aren't your tippy-top guys essentially go through cycles. You build someone up for a main event program and they stay on top until they lose a program, at which point you start to cycle them back down while using them as a stepping stone for someone you are building up., until you are ready to start building that first person back up again.

That being said, I think that adding a midcard belt so soon would come off as exactly the sort of "willy-nilly handing out belts" that he is speaking out against. They've crowned three new champions recently. Make those belts mean something before you add in another one.
Also, I think that AEW doesn't really need another championship, as the records serve something of a similar function. If they do add another singles title, they should take a page out of Gabe's book and give it some sort of rule-set to differentiate it, whether that is Pure Rules or hardcore or European rounds or MMA rules or whatever.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 18843
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: Full Rundown from Cody's Full Gear Media Call

Post by cero2k » Nov 8th, '19, 15:48

Big Red Machine wrote:
Nov 8th, '19, 14:24
I see yo haven't read my review, either. Even you have to admit that there is a gaping hole here. The guy says he doesn't want there to be accusations that he has abused his power to win titles so he won't ever challenge for the title again if he loses this match? What about if he wins? There is still the same potential for those accusations to pop up (for example, he could duck challengers, or pick tomato cans, or schedule title matches to his advantage. Or what if he wins the title and then loses it? Will he make the same speech again? The fact that neither he nor the announcers seem to have considered this is clearly a logic hole.
if he wins the title and he defends it and he does it with clean victories all the time, as a babyface, he just happens to be the best wrestler in the company. that issue wouldn't come up unless there is someone who isn't getting a title shot they deserve, but as a babyface, Cody should be taking in on all comers. I see what you're saying, but we would need to see Cody dodge a defense first to make the claim

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 18843
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: Full Rundown from Cody's Full Gear Media Call

Post by cero2k » Nov 8th, '19, 15:51

Big Red Machine wrote:
Nov 8th, '19, 14:33
I think he's right to try to discourage use of the term midcard. Stratospheres exist, but I think the best way to book a promotion is to see most people as potential main eventers and to have people who aren't your tippy-top guys essentially go through cycles. You build someone up for a main event program and they stay on top until they lose a program, at which point you start to cycle them back down while using them as a stepping stone for someone you are building up., until you are ready to start building that first person back up again.

That being said, I think that adding a midcard belt so soon would come off as exactly the sort of "willy-nilly handing out belts" that he is speaking out against. They've crowned three new champions recently. Make those belts mean something before you add in another one.
Also, I think that AEW doesn't really need another championship, as the records serve something of a similar function. If they do add another singles title, they should take a page out of Gabe's book and give it some sort of rule-set to differentiate it, whether that is Pure Rules or hardcore or European rounds or MMA rules or whatever.
that's the impression i got from the interview, a title with a certain reason for it. I got more of a Gift of the Gods/Top Contenders Trophy feel from this comment than a specific style championship, which ends ups also encapsulating certain wrestlers.

User avatar
Bob-O
Posts: 3319
Joined: Dec 17th, '10, 06:06
Favorite Wrestler: Marty Scurll
Location: Erie, Pa
Contact:

Re: Full Rundown from Cody's Full Gear Media Call

Post by Bob-O » Nov 8th, '19, 20:42

Big Red Machine wrote:
Nov 8th, '19, 14:33
If they do add another singles title, they should take a page out of Gabe's book and give it some sort of rule-set to differentiate it, whether that is Pure Rules or hardcore or European rounds or MMA rules or whatever.
Oooh! Since they're so big on it, they should make an UNSANCTIONED Title! It'd be brilliant! A title that can ONLY be won in Unsanctioned matches! The beauty of this is that it could be defended ANYWHERE! At ANY TIME! The challenger would just need to show up with a referee to count the fall... FINALLY a reason to watch Being The Elite!

...alright alright, I'll see myself out...
Image

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 23834
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: Full Rundown from Cody's Full Gear Media Call

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 9th, '19, 16:58

cero2k wrote:
Nov 8th, '19, 15:48
Big Red Machine wrote:
Nov 8th, '19, 14:24
I see yo haven't read my review, either. Even you have to admit that there is a gaping hole here. The guy says he doesn't want there to be accusations that he has abused his power to win titles so he won't ever challenge for the title again if he loses this match? What about if he wins? There is still the same potential for those accusations to pop up (for example, he could duck challengers, or pick tomato cans, or schedule title matches to his advantage. Or what if he wins the title and then loses it? Will he make the same speech again? The fact that neither he nor the announcers seem to have considered this is clearly a logic hole.
if he wins the title and he defends it and he does it with clean victories all the time, as a babyface, he just happens to be the best wrestler in the company. that issue wouldn't come up unless there is someone who isn't getting a title shot they deserve, but as a babyface, Cody should be taking in on all comers. I see what you're saying, but we would need to see Cody dodge a defense first to make the claim
But that still wouldn't deflect the criticism that he might be doing so. And while I agree with you that one should wait for evidence of Cody actually doing that sort of thing before taking any sort of action, Cody himself clearly thinks just the possibility o the criticism is a problem, or else he wouldn't have felt the need to make this announcement at all.
Find me someone in AEW with a record more deserving of this title shot at the time this match was booked (hell, or even right now) than Cody. When this match was booked Cody was 3-0-1 in singles match and 3-1-1 overall and he didn't even take the fall in his loss. Pac was 2-0, but that is less impressive than 3-0-1, and that's not even factoring in that Pac cheated to beat Adam Page. Cody was the most qualified person to challenge for the title, and the records prove it.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
Bob-O
Posts: 3319
Joined: Dec 17th, '10, 06:06
Favorite Wrestler: Marty Scurll
Location: Erie, Pa
Contact:

Re: Full Rundown from Cody's Full Gear Media Call

Post by Bob-O » Nov 10th, '19, 10:31

Regarding the finish to Cody/Jericho last night
Hidden text.
In the heat of the moment, this aspect of it completely slipped my mind. Good lord, I'm not Cody fan, but I cannot wait for how good this angle is going to be. Piggy backing Cody to the top, he does him no good if the title is out of the picture. At that point he does him more good as an enemy than a friend, ugh... I hate him in the best kind of ways right now!
Bob-O wrote:
Nov 8th, '19, 20:42
Big Red Machine wrote:
Nov 8th, '19, 14:33
If they do add another singles title, they should take a page out of Gabe's book and give it some sort of rule-set to differentiate it, whether that is Pure Rules or hardcore or European rounds or MMA rules or whatever.
Oooh! Since they're so big on it, they should make an UNSANCTIONED Title! It'd be brilliant! A title that can ONLY be won in Unsanctioned matches! The beauty of this is that it could be defended ANYWHERE! At ANY TIME! The challenger would just need to show up with a referee to count the fall... FINALLY a reason to watch Being The Elite!

...alright alright, I'll see myself out...
Gonna see myself back in for a sec...

After some ~actual~ thought, since they're so big on everything having meaning/value, I'd be all in on a TV-type Title that holds the weight of a title shot. Something along the lines of the TV Champ getting a title shot every year at one of their annual PPV's regardless of win/loss record, but the title has to be defended on Dynamite at least once every 30 days. You get your MITB/Royal Rumble itch scratched, it gives an excuse for face vs face and heel vs heel stuff, and it's a TRUE "secondary" title at that point with value, instead of a "midcard" title/stamp.

After the PPV defense, they could do a tournament which would still keep the Win/Loss records out of it. It checks all of Cody's boxes.
cero2k wrote:
Nov 8th, '19, 11:46
there will be a prize of some sort for the guys rising through the ranks."
I don't like that term "prize"... ptsd from how awkward Seth Rollins looked carrying around that FCW 15 Medal...
Image
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests