BRM Reviews the 4/9/2021 ROH

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 4/9/2021 ROH

Post by Big Red Machine » May 2nd, '21, 19:44

Yeah, I just skipped last week’s show. The important thing that happened was Gresham announcing that he’ll defend the Pure Title against Jay Lethal on the 500th show (which is next week) due to a fan vote. Eli Isom got a win. Also, Bruan Johnston beat Danhausen. I don’t know if he cheated or not, but I don’t care, because anything that can be done to hurt Danhausen is justified.

DELIRIOUS VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- very good
Who is translating from Delirious speak to English to make the subtitles?

ROCKY ROMERO VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- good

PURE RULES MATCH: Rocky Romero vs. Delirious- 6.75/10
These are not guys who should be wrestling each other. These are guys who should be used to occasionally put other people over. Rocky won clean, getting the submission victory just in the nick of time.

BRISCOES VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- AWESOME!
They did a tremendous job of building up their match against each other next week as something they “have to do” in order to feel like themselves again. The only thing I would have done differently is that I would have noted that they have actually done his sort of thing before (at Fifth Year Festival: Finale) and it worked (they went on to win the tag titles back at the next show and have what was at that point the longest reign in the titles’ history).

WEIRD SEGMENT WITH MEXISQUAD- weird
Did they forget to put up a graphic telling us that this happened earlier today? I thought the match was already scheduled as Bandido and Flamita teaming up, but here we are told it’s Bandido and Rey Horus, but the office has just told Rey Horus he isn’t cleared. Flamita then showed up and offered to team with Bandido. Bandido was suspicious (as well he should have been, with how gung-ho Flamita was acting, even though he was the one who wanted to break the team up at the 19th Anniversary Show), but Rey Horus vouched for him. Rey Horus and Bandido left, at which point Rey Horus began smiling evilly. Not a good sign for Bandido.

JAY LETHAL & JONATHAN GRESHAM PROMO- fine
Gresham was going to talk but Lethal said “let me take this one.” Lethal was very intense and said that the Foundation had to get back on track. After he left, Gresham said “you have got to calm down.”

THE FOUNDATION (Jay Lethal & Jonathan Gresham) vs. MEXISQUAD (Bandido & Flamita)- 7/10
Bandido and Flamita were clearly not on the same page. The big blow-up happened when they went for a double-team move but Flamita dropped Bandido in a way that look pretty intentional to me. Flamita then punched him during the ensuing confrontation and they started brawling until Lethal attacked them to try to win the match. Flamita walked out at that point. He eventually came back from Bandido was trapped in the Figure-Four, but that was just to taunt him.

A good show from ROH.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3