2 Cents: Triple H as COO

Get your opinions out
Forum rules
All Topics must start with "2 cents:" continued by the wrestler, event, segment, match being talked about.

example:
2 cents: John Cena
cero2k
Site Admin

2 Cents: Triple H as COO

Post by cero2k » Aug 5th, '11, 14:07

give out your opinion on Triple H being the COO of WWE. is it good? bad? meh?

Serujuunin

Re: 2 Cents: Triple H as COO

Post by Serujuunin » Aug 5th, '11, 15:06

Well, his first RAW as COO I rather enjoyed, and then Smackdown just seemed to continue on in that same pattern, but with this past RAW and Punk's total degradation of Hunter, it totally killed whatever intimidation factor he may have had, in my opinion. Also, as much as I like Triple H, I am SO not keen on seeing him THREE TIMES IN ONE EPISODE. -___-

It started off nicely, then went downhill fast, as is often the theme with the WWE.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 5th, '11, 15:12

hate it,its bull,Ive always hated HHH,,no matter what allignment hes playing,,hated him as heel V cena in 2005 or 6,,,hated him as Ho ho hahaha dx face with HBK,,hated him as the face against Orton and Legacy a few years ago,,,Ive just never liked him,,now the mans in charge....GOD HELP US!
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 5th, '11, 15:17

KILLdozer wrote:hate it,its bull,Ive always hated HHH,,no matter what allignment hes playing,,hated him as heel V cena in 2005 or 6,,,hated him as Ho ho hahaha dx face with HBK,,hated him as the face against Orton and Legacy a few years ago,,,Ive just never liked him,,now the mans in charge....GOD HELP US!
aside from your hate, do you think he's doing the part ok??

Shogun Rua

Post by Shogun Rua » Aug 5th, '11, 15:22

He plays the role well, but I find he takes up too much T.V. time. If he's going to say something, he should say it in one promo, not many throughout the night. And it shouldn't be more than 10, maybe 15 minutes depending on who he is talking to.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 5th, '11, 15:26

cero2k wrote:
KILLdozer wrote:hate it,its bull,Ive always hated HHH,,no matter what allignment hes playing,,hated him as heel V cena in 2005 or 6,,,hated him as Ho ho hahaha dx face with HBK,,hated him as the face against Orton and Legacy a few years ago,,,Ive just never liked him,,now the mans in charge....GOD HELP US!
aside from your hate, do you think he's doing the part ok??
Well Idk,,hes trying to handle all the problems going on during his first few weeks,,which isnt bad..Its good sense,,,your put in a new position of power and theres several problems going on,,like the world title stuff on SD(Which i cant see why Everyone says Orton was "Screwed" and "Robbed" but thats later discussion) your first priority should be to handle everything going on...One thing I didnt like was him saying to Christian,or maybe it was to the crowd,,,that Vince was Patient...WHAT?!? Vince Mcmahon patient? When? Where? the guy has been nothin but a quick tempered short fused hot head since Ive seen him...Not sure about "Dont you call me Hunter" what did that do? Establish that hes not going to be on friendly first name basis type level with talent?o ok..But I didnt feel it was needed,,Its like he was acting as a heel disrespected by a face...I was instantly reminded of someone calling Vince,"Vince" just to be funny,,("Thats Mr McMahon to you damnit!" )

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Aug 5th, '11, 19:07

I like him.
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

Styles

Post by Styles » Aug 6th, '11, 06:32

i like it, its good. but its only just begun, il see what i say over the coming months of this.

i dont mind his talking time, but he has a job now to put guys over and not put them down like he attempted with punk (badly), hes a good talker and if hes going to be a permanent fixture id like it tbf

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 6th, '11, 19:38

Shogun Rua wrote:He plays the role well, but I find he takes up too much T.V. time. If he's going to say something, he should say it in one promo, not many throughout the night. And it shouldn't be more than 10, maybe 15 minutes depending on who he is talking to.
Generally, I would agree with you, but in this case, Triple H becoming the COO is a major angle in and off itself, and thus should get the TV time.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK

Post by NWK » Aug 7th, '11, 23:27

I see the "Triple H: COO" angle as the biggest angle WWE has had. The only reason why I say this is because this is the only time WWE has EVER successfully replaced (and topped) Vinnie Mac. And I don't mind seeing HHH 3 times in one episode, it's just clear that HHH likes to (kayfabe) publically micro-manage his product, perfect boss-esque behavior.
The Andy Rooney of WR, NWK

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Aug 9th, '11, 12:18

I only have 1 problem with the whole thing.

Chief Operating Officer: "Triple H" - surely this can't be attracting new stockholders...

I get that it's an angle, but it'd be more believable if Hunter was reintruduced as COO Jean Paul Levesque, or even rewinding back to Hunter Hearst Helmsley would be acceptable. They're breaking kayfabe left and right through the whole angle, why not drop the silly name and go to one that I might believe was actually the COO of a huge company. Calling him by his real name would also make me question the actual status of Vince McMahon...

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 9th, '11, 12:28

Bob-O wrote:I only have 1 problem with the whole thing.

Chief Operating Officer: "Triple H" - surely this can't be attracting new stockholders...

I get that it's an angle, but it'd be more believable if Hunter was reintruduced as COO Jean Paul Levesque, or even rewinding back to Hunter Hearst Helmsley would be acceptable. They're breaking kayfabe left and right through the whole angle, why not drop the silly name and go to one that I might believe was actually the COO of a huge company. Calling him by his real name would also make me question the actual status of Vince McMahon...
i had been thinking the same thing. This should be Chief Operating Officer Hunter Hearst Helmsley. he should change his intro music.

However, i do believe that since this started, he's not accustomed to this, he's still learning how to behave, work around, stuff like that. that's why i'm loving Stooge Laurenitis.

Styles

Post by Styles » Aug 10th, '11, 00:52

cero2k wrote:

i had been thinking the same thing. This should be Chief Operating Officer Hunter Hearst Helmsley. he should change his intro music.

However, i do believe that since this started, he's not accustomed to this, he's still learning how to behave, work around, stuff like that. that's why i'm loving Stooge Laurenitis.
im with you, if Triple H came out and cut a promo explaining his real name or whatever (hundreds have done it), and went to being Paul "Triple H" Levesque even, it'd make it more believable.... in kayfabe terms does he counter-sign new talent contracts with a scrawled "TripleH"???

I think either Hunter Hearst Helmsley (as thats what he used in a similar storyline of control early in 2000/2001 i forget now) or Paul Levesque seeing as this new direction is aimed at the IWC and we know his name.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 10th, '11, 11:08

Styles wrote:
cero2k wrote:

im with you, if Triple H came out and cut a promo explaining his real name or whatever (hundreds have done it), and went to being Paul "Triple H" Levesque even, it'd make it more believable.... in kayfabe terms does he counter-sign new talent contracts with a scrawled "TripleH"???

I think either Hunter Hearst Helmsley (as thats what he used in a similar storyline of control early in 2000/2001 i forget now) or Paul Levesque seeing as this new direction is aimed at the IWC and we know his name.
As the board's token guy who absolutely loves kayfabe, I have to weigh in on this. He damned well better keep using Hunter Hearst Helmsley. To do otherwise would hurt kayfabe. There is no reason why IWC fans can't enjoy the angle just as much if he is using that name. I would, however, like to see people (at least backstage people, and younger wrestlers) referring to him as "Mr. Helmsley" rather than Triple H.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Aug 10th, '11, 21:40

Big Red Machine wrote:As the board's token guy who absolutely loves kayfabe, I have to weigh in on this. He damned well better keep using Hunter Hearst Helmsley. To do otherwise would hurt kayfabe. There is no reason why IWC fans can't enjoy the angle just as much if he is using that name. I would, however, like to see people (at least backstage people, and younger wrestlers) referring to him as "Mr. Helmsley" rather than Triple H.
But the whole angle is based on breaching kayfabe! It's Punk's new character in a nutshell. Vince called him Phil! Punk called DH Smith "Harry"! He talked about people who had JUST been fired, as well as claiming to be a "Paul Heyman Guy" along with Brock Lesnar. Hulk Hogan and TNA references have been increasing on air. What's ONE more breach just to put all the ducks in a row? BRM, I know that just because it happened doesn't mean you have to like it, but hear me out.

Let's face it, I don't believe for one second that Triple H is the COO of WWE at the moment. It's kayfabe. BUT, even for storyline purposes, it'd be far more believable if Jean Paul Levesque was announced as WWE's COO. Not Hunter Hearst Helmsley, he was the guy from Connecticut that acted like he was English Royalty.

The whole magic and success of the Mr. McMahon character was that he REALLY did own the company, he REALLY was (is) the COO. Kayfabe or not, this REALLY is his empire that he built, and it took some REAL digestion (for me anyway) when I found this out. To me at the time, kayfabe was reality, and I just found out that the geeky over-the-top announcer with tacky sports coats that took all the crap from Jesse Ventura built the WWF... HE was the owner!? That, LITERALLY, is like today's fan being told that WWE is owned and operated by Michael Cole, or that TNA is run by that stupid blonde lady that shows up on Impact once in a while.

WWE NEEDS to give us a bit more "reality" in terms of Hunter taking over the company or nobody's going to buy it. I don't need to digest anything right now. It feels like a storyline. Triple H feels like nothing more than a GM right now except he shows up on Smackdown too. Calling him "Hunter" or even "Helmsley" keeps us at that GM level. They need something to make this bigger than that. We are to believe that he is the NEW VINCE MCMAHON! Coming out with Laurinitis isn't gonna do it. Referencing his wife isn't gonna do it...
Styles wrote:if Triple H came out and cut a promo explaining his real name or whatever (hundreds have done it), and went to being Paul "Triple H" Levesque even, it'd make it more believable....
THIS! This would be a great start.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 10th, '11, 23:08

Bob-O wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:As the board's token guy who absolutely loves kayfabe, I have to weigh in on this. He damned well better keep using Hunter Hearst Helmsley. To do otherwise would hurt kayfabe. There is no reason why IWC fans can't enjoy the angle just as much if he is using that name. I would, however, like to see people (at least backstage people, and younger wrestlers) referring to him as "Mr. Helmsley" rather than Triple H.
But the whole angle is based on breaching kayfabe! It's Punk's new character in a nutshell. Vince called him Phil! Punk called DH Smith "Harry"! He talked about people who had JUST been fired, as well as claiming to be a "Paul Heyman Guy" along with Brock Lesnar. Hulk Hogan and TNA references have been increasing on air. What's ONE more breach just to put all the ducks in a row? BRM, I know that just because it happened doesn't mean you have to like it, but hear me out.

Let's face it, I don't believe for one second that Triple H is the COO of WWE at the moment. It's kayfabe. BUT, even for storyline purposes, it'd be far more believable if Jean Paul Levesque was announced as WWE's COO. Not Hunter Hearst Helmsley, he was the guy from Connecticut that acted like he was English Royalty.

The whole magic and success of the Mr. McMahon character was that he REALLY did own the company, he REALLY was (is) the COO. Kayfabe or not, this REALLY is his empire that he built, and it took some REAL digestion (for me anyway) when I found this out. To me at the time, kayfabe was reality, and I just found out that the geeky over-the-top announcer with tacky sports coats that took all the crap from Jesse Ventura built the WWF... HE was the owner!? That, LITERALLY, is like today's fan being told that WWE is owned and operated by Michael Cole, or that TNA is run by that stupid blonde lady that shows up on Impact once in a while.

WWE NEEDS to give us a bit more "reality" in terms of Hunter taking over the company or nobody's going to buy it. I don't need to digest anything right now. It feels like a storyline. Triple H feels like nothing more than a GM right now except he shows up on Smackdown too. Calling him "Hunter" or even "Helmsley" keeps us at that GM level. They need something to make this bigger than that. We are to believe that he is the NEW VINCE MCMAHON! Coming out with Laurinitis isn't gonna do it. Referencing his wife isn't gonna do it...
I think that you are looking at the angle all wrong. This angle isn't about breaking kayfabe. The breeches have been small and have just been little things thrown in, rather than major plot points. I don't see how any of the things you mention (calling Punk by his real name, or having Punk be a Paul Heyman guy) are major breaches of kayfabe at all. Surely we aren't meant to think that the man's birth certificate says "CM Punk" on it. As for Punk... he debuted on ECW when Paul E. was in charge of it. Therefore, he is, kayfabe, a Paul Heyman bring-in. Naming ROH and NJPW, and referring to TNA are not breaches of kayfabe. It is just something that isn't usually done. The biggest kayfabe problem so far is Punk outing DH Smith's real name, which was of no real consequence at all.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Styles

Post by Styles » Aug 11th, '11, 01:33

Big Red Machine wrote:
Bob-O wrote:

I think that you are looking at the angle all wrong. This angle isn't about breaking kayfabe. The breeches have been small and have just been little things thrown in, rather than major plot points. I don't see how any of the things you mention (calling Punk by his real name, or having Punk be a Paul Heyman guy) are major breaches of kayfabe at all. Surely we aren't meant to think that the man's birth certificate says "CM Punk" on it. As for Punk... he debuted on ECW when Paul E. was in charge of it. Therefore, he is, kayfabe, a Paul Heyman bring-in. Naming ROH and NJPW, and referring to TNA are not breaches of kayfabe. It is just something that isn't usually done. The biggest kayfabe problem so far is Punk outing DH Smith's real name, which was of no real consequence at all.
Okay i'll agree that Triple H's real name has always been protected in Kayfabe, I've never heard anyone call him Paul or anything like that.

But it wouldn't hurt him too heavily to be Levesque, but in hindsight, I think he should stick to Helmsley, simply because its better, sounds better and works better, he can still have his nickname "Triple H", but have the ring announcer call him down as "The COO of the WWE, Mr. Helmsley" and anytime talent (who isn't a friend or a long term guy) calls him Triple H have him make a point to them "I'm not your friend, I'm not that guy, my wrestling days are done. You'll call me Mr. Helmsley and like it, or I'll tear your damn contract up right here" or something to that effect, it'd get over his name change and persona change from wrestler to boss. He needs to put across he is the boss, and as much as its just a name, its the name that stops me believing any part of the story. and i do like to get lost in kayfabe.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 11th, '11, 12:22

theres no difference in being called Triple H,or HHH,and Hunter Hearst Helmsly..they both mean the same thing,,one is short for the other,,everyone knows what hhh stands for So i dont really see the dilema everyone sees in it...ppl know the mans name is not just three h's..it stands for something...just like JBL,everyone knew that wasnt on his certificate..So technically..he is being called Hunter Hearst Helmsly

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 11th, '11, 21:20

KILLdozer wrote:theres no difference in being called Triple H,or HHH,and Hunter Hearst Helmsly..they both mean the same thing,,one is short for the other,,everyone knows what hhh stands for So i dont really see the dilema everyone sees in it...ppl know the mans name is not just three h's..it stands for something...just like JBL,everyone knew that wasnt on his certificate..So technically..he is being called Hunter Hearst Helmsly
Triple H is like a nickname that you call your friend. You call your boss "Mr. Helmsley."

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 11th, '11, 21:24

Big Red Machine wrote:
KILLdozer wrote:theres no difference in being called Triple H,or HHH,and Hunter Hearst Helmsly..they both mean the same thing,,one is short for the other,,everyone knows what hhh stands for So i dont really see the dilema everyone sees in it...ppl know the mans name is not just three h's..it stands for something...just like JBL,everyone knew that wasnt on his certificate..So technically..he is being called Hunter Hearst Helmsly
Triple H is like a nickname that you call your friend. You call your boss "Mr. Helmsley."
Id say Triple H is more like a habitual shortening than a nickname,but,Ok then,Mr Helmsley is really more of a variation to me,its just calling HHH by his last name