2 cents: Michael Cole

Get your opinions out
Forum rules
All Topics must start with "2 cents:" continued by the wrestler, event, segment, match being talked about.

example:
2 cents: John Cena
badnewzxl

Re: 2 cents: Michael Cole

Post by badnewzxl » Sep 8th, '11, 17:21

kiel297 wrote:Can I just point out that Michael Cole says exactly what Vince McMahon wants him to say? Every time he takes a shot at King or JR, Vince told him to do it. Every time he has an orgasm over The Miz, vince tells him to do it.

As far as his job of being a WWE broadcast announcer goes, he is f***ing brilliant at what he does. Jim Ross has stated this. His former partner JBL has stated this. According to JBL, is so good at his job that he would have no notes, nothing, and he would be able to get through the entire show perfectly, literally just playing off of whatever Michael Cole said and did. He takes notes on absolutely everything he needs to, and he says and does everything he's told to say and do.

That is what his job is, and it's a f***ing hard one at that. His job IS NOT to be the next JR or the second coming of Bobby Heenan. His job is to provide commentary on a sports entertainment show. He's not THE BEST play by play guy around, but when it comes to him doing his job, he is one of the best that money can buy.

To immediately label Michael Cole as the worst commentator ever just because he's not as good as Jim Ross is unfair. But hey, this is the IWC where it's popular to s**t on absolutely everything because it's not the best television you've seen in your life.
from a fans standpoint, Cole does NOTHING to enhance the show he's calling. That's why I say he's a lame ass announcer. He never gives me any info that makes me enjoy the matches; in fact, his commentary makes me wanna change the channel at times. That is NOT being good at your job. I don't care what VKM, JR, or JBL think about how he's doing his job; that's their opinion. Mine is that he's not any good bc he ruins the show for me. NOBODY'S job on ANY show is to get ppl to not wanna watch. I don't think he's the worst ever (that distinction is reserved Billy Graham, Mark Madden, Tony Schiovanne, Mike Hogwood, and Larry Zybsko imo) but the idea that he's brilliant for basically giving up on trying to be a good play by play neutral and becoming a heel favoring color guy is just ridiculous.

Shogun Rua

Post by Shogun Rua » Sep 8th, '11, 17:41

Rabid619 wrote:He's toned down his heel love outside of Miz since OTL. When Del Rio attacked Mysterio & Cena in back to back weeks, Cole didn't praise Del Rio or make an excuse for it. He acted like an unbiased announcer, not a full on heel
I haven't noticed him toning it down. The Miz came on screen on the last RAW, and right before commercial: "THERE HE IS! IT'S THE AWESOME ONE! THE MIZ IS COMING OUT TO THE RING!!!" If he's toned it down, he's toned it down one notch.

Cole may not have praised ADR like Miz, but he definately was behind ADR more than Mysterio. Not Cena, because I don't think he's allowed to say anything bad about him.

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » Sep 8th, '11, 17:44

Shogun Rua wrote:
I haven't noticed him toning it down. The Miz came on screen on the last RAW, and right before commercial: "THERE HE IS! IT'S THE AWESOME ONE! THE MIZ IS COMING OUT TO THE RING!!!" If he's toned it down, he's toned it down one notch.

Cole may not have praised ADR like Miz, but he definately was behind ADR more than Mysterio. Not Cena, because I don't think he's allowed to say anything bad about him.
My point was outside of his Miz love, Cole's obnoxiousness has been toned down. He's still a heel though but he's not as blind as before again with the exception of Miz.

kiel297

Post by kiel297 » Sep 8th, '11, 17:48

badnewzxl wrote:
kiel297 wrote:Can I just point out that Michael Cole says exactly what Vince McMahon wants him to say? Every time he takes a shot at King or JR, Vince told him to do it. Every time he has an orgasm over The Miz, vince tells him to do it.

As far as his job of being a WWE broadcast announcer goes, he is f***ing brilliant at what he does. Jim Ross has stated this. His former partner JBL has stated this. According to JBL, is so good at his job that he would have no notes, nothing, and he would be able to get through the entire show perfectly, literally just playing off of whatever Michael Cole said and did. He takes notes on absolutely everything he needs to, and he says and does everything he's told to say and do.

That is what his job is, and it's a f***ing hard one at that. His job IS NOT to be the next JR or the second coming of Bobby Heenan. His job is to provide commentary on a sports entertainment show. He's not THE BEST play by play guy around, but when it comes to him doing his job, he is one of the best that money can buy.

To immediately label Michael Cole as the worst commentator ever just because he's not as good as Jim Ross is unfair. But hey, this is the IWC where it's popular to s**t on absolutely everything because it's not the best television you've seen in your life.
from a fans standpoint, Cole does NOTHING to enhance the show he's calling. That's why I say he's a lame a** announcer. He never gives me any info that makes me enjoy the matches; in fact, his commentary makes me wanna change the channel at times. That is NOT being good at your job. I don't care what VKM, JR, or JBL think about how he's doing his job; that's their opinion. Mine is that he's not any good bc he ruins the show for me. NOBODY'S job on ANY show is to get ppl to not wanna watch. I don't think he's the worst ever (that distinction is reserved Billy Graham, Mark Madden, Tony Schiovanne, Mike Hogwood, and Larry Zybsko imo) but the idea that he's brilliant for basically giving up on trying to be a good play by play neutral and becoming a heel favoring color guy is just ridiculous.
Fair enough, that's your opinion.

You act as if it's gospel though.

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Sep 8th, '11, 17:56

kiel297 wrote:
badnewzxl wrote:

from a fans standpoint, Cole does NOTHING to enhance the show he's calling. That's why I say he's a lame a** announcer. He never gives me any info that makes me enjoy the matches; in fact, his commentary makes me wanna change the channel at times. That is NOT being good at your job. I don't care what VKM, JR, or JBL think about how he's doing his job; that's their opinion. Mine is that he's not any good bc he ruins the show for me. NOBODY'S job on ANY show is to get ppl to not wanna watch. I don't think he's the worst ever (that distinction is reserved Billy Graham, Mark Madden, Tony Schiovanne, Mike Hogwood, and Larry Zybsko imo) but the idea that he's brilliant for basically giving up on trying to be a good play by play neutral and becoming a heel favoring color guy is just ridiculous.
Fair enough, that's your opinion.

You act as if it's gospel though.
I'm just letting folks know that my hatred for Cole isn't based on him NOT being JR or anyone else; it's bc of who HE is

Shogun Rua

Post by Shogun Rua » Sep 8th, '11, 18:03

kiel297 wrote:That is what his job is, and it's a f***ing hard one at that
I know I'm going to get a "You're not in the business so you can't say that" kind of response from someone, but honestly, announcing for wrestling isn't that hard. Call the moves, give a little bit of info on the guys as they're coming out, bring the fans up to speed about what they've been doing for the last little while, put them over. Cole doesn't have the hardest job in the world.

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » Sep 8th, '11, 18:09

Shogun Rua wrote:I know I'm going to get a "You're not in the business so you can't say that" kind of response from someone, but honestly, announcing for wrestling isn't that hard. Call the moves, give a little bit of info on the guys as they're coming out, bring the fans up to speed about what they've been doing for the last little while, put them over. Cole doesn't have the hardest job in the world.
You can't just say it like it's nothing. You gotta put something into it, cant draw the heat or love from the fans if you are emotionless like Tenay is currently 99.5% of the time.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 8th, '11, 19:48

badnewzxl wrote:
1. People have always pooped on Cole because he isn't JR. The things everyone used to complain about (i.e. "vintage") are things that other announcers do to. Hell, there are clips of both JR and Punk saying vintage from way before it became a thing with Cole.

2. No someone becomes a tweener by being booked as a tweener. Badnews Brown was a great example. He wasn't a babyface, but he wasn't a heel either. He was just a guy there to do to his job. He wouldn't run out and make the save for a babyface, but he wouldn't do a heel beatdown either. He was a tweener. A heel who gets cheers (KoW are great examples of this) are not tweeners. Punk is a tweener now, but not because of the cheers he is getting, but because of what they are doing with him. Punk was a heel until after Money in the Bank. He became a tweener by getting screwed by heels (Nash, Del Rio). By your definition, Cena would be a tweener, as he gets a mixed crowd reaction. Cena is clearly a face.
1. No; ppl have always crapped on Cole bc he sucks at his job. Ppl hated him before he was calling everything vintage; we just don't like him. Now, ppl are talking about how good he is just to spite those of us who've hated him forever. Plain and simple.

2) Bad News Brown was a heel; he was a loner heel, but a heel none the less. this whole idea of a tweener just feeds into that stupid idea that faces get along with faces and heels get along with heels; which is bogus.Basically, you're saying the only thing that makes someone a tweener is the fact that they have no allegiences. Punk's a tweener bc of Nash & Del Rio? Was he not doing the same exact things before Summerslam and after MITB as he did after SS? Yes; he was. So what's the difference?
2. It is about what motivates you and who you are going against. Punk was a heel before Summer Slam. His motivations were mostly selfish. He started showing some signs on tweenerdom when he started to speak for the fans, and he was cemented as one when he was screwed over by heels. Not all babyfaces get along and not all heels get along, but that doesn't mean that a tweener can't exist. Look at the American Wolves for a good chunk of last year. They still did heelish things like taunt the crowd, but they also showed respect to others who had earned their respect. They only turned babyface when Davey refused Hagadorn's help (and Eddie was still a heel for a few months after that, until he, too kiced Hagadorn to the curve by not listening to him and putting the TV Title on the line).

Tweeners are rare and hard to come by. Anderson was a tweener during the Spring of 2011, because he wasn't getting what he did technically deserve, but was willing to do anything (including cheat or jump people from behind) to get it.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 8th, '11, 19:51

Shogun Rua wrote:
kiel297 wrote:That is what his job is, and it's a f***ing hard one at that
I know I'm going to get a "You're not in the business so you can't say that" kind of response from someone, but honestly, announcing for wrestling isn't that hard. Call the moves, give a little bit of info on the guys as they're coming out, bring the fans up to speed about what they've been doing for the last little while, put them over. Cole doesn't have the hardest job in the world.
This.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Sep 8th, '11, 21:54

Big Red Machine wrote:
badnewzxl wrote:
1. People have always pooped on Cole because he isn't JR. The things everyone used to complain about (i.e. "vintage") are things that other announcers do to. Hell, there are clips of both JR and Punk saying vintage from way before it became a thing with Cole.

2. No someone becomes a tweener by being booked as a tweener. Badnews Brown was a great example. He wasn't a babyface, but he wasn't a heel either. He was just a guy there to do to his job. He wouldn't run out and make the save for a babyface, but he wouldn't do a heel beatdown either. He was a tweener. A heel who gets cheers (KoW are great examples of this) are not tweeners. Punk is a tweener now, but not because of the cheers he is getting, but because of what they are doing with him. Punk was a heel until after Money in the Bank. He became a tweener by getting screwed by heels (Nash, Del Rio). By your definition, Cena would be a tweener, as he gets a mixed crowd reaction. Cena is clearly a face.
1. No; ppl have always crapped on Cole bc he sucks at his job. Ppl hated him before he was calling everything vintage; we just don't like him. Now, ppl are talking about how good he is just to spite those of us who've hated him forever. Plain and simple.

2) Bad News Brown was a heel; he was a loner heel, but a heel none the less. this whole idea of a tweener just feeds into that stupid idea that faces get along with faces and heels get along with heels; which is bogus.Basically, you're saying the only thing that makes someone a tweener is the fact that they have no allegiences. Punk's a tweener bc of Nash & Del Rio? Was he not doing the same exact things before Summerslam and after MITB as he did after SS? Yes; he was. So what's the difference?
2. It is about what motivates you and who you are going against. Punk was a heel before Summer Slam. His motivations were mostly selfish. He started showing some signs on tweenerdom when he started to speak for the fans, and he was cemented as one when he was screwed over by heels. Not all babyfaces get along and not all heels get along, but that doesn't mean that a tweener can't exist. Look at the American Wolves for a good chunk of last year. They still did heelish things like taunt the crowd, but they also showed respect to others who had earned their respect. They only turned babyface when Davey refused Hagadorn's help (and Eddie was still a heel for a few months after that, until he, too kiced Hagadorn to the curve by not listening to him and putting the TV Title on the line).

Tweeners are rare and hard to come by. Anderson was a tweener during the Spring of 2011, because he wasn't getting what he did technically deserve, but was willing to do anything (including cheat or jump people from behind) to get it.
he was speaking for the fans before MITB; that "shoot" promo he did on RAW pretty much spoke for the fans, did it not? It spoke for me. Ppl were already cheering his comments and therefore supporting them; is that not speaking for the fans?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 8th, '11, 23:13

badnewzxl wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
badnewzxl wrote: 1. No; ppl have always crapped on Cole bc he sucks at his job. Ppl hated him before he was calling everything vintage; we just don't like him. Now, ppl are talking about how good he is just to spite those of us who've hated him forever. Plain and simple.

he was speaking for the fans before MITB; that "shoot" promo he did on RAW pretty much spoke for the fans, did it not? It spoke for me. Ppl were already cheering his comments and therefore supporting them; is that not speaking for the fans?
But not in kayfabe. In kayfabe, he only started to claim to speak for the fans after Summer Slam

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation