THIS WILL BE AWESOME!

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

THIS WILL BE AWESOME!

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 20th, '11, 08:31

From www.ROHWrestling.com

As I sit down at the ZERO1 office in Tokyo, a week away from the most important fight of my life, I can't stop thinking about what got me to this point. The decisions I have made, the people I have hurt, and the lives I have affected.

There is no denying that the Kevin Steen that you see, and will see at Final Battle, is a product of my manipulations. I brought the Monster out in him two years ago, for reasons that were selfish. I was mad at the world. I hated myself but I put the blame on people that didn't deserve it. Namely the ROH fans and El Generico. I take full responsibility and I am sorry.

People ask me all the time, why Kevin Steen? Kevin wasn't just some random guy I chose to create a Monster with. I first met Kevin Steen in 2004 at a show in Quebec. He was so young, but oh so talented. It took me close to 25 minutes to beat him, but the victory wasn't the thing I remember the most on that first meeting. It was that I got a sense that he was angry inside. A Monster was dormant inside him. His eyes told his story. I never forgot that.

It took me six years to realize that the Evil in my heart is because of the things I did. Not anyone else. The bitterness inside was because of me. I was a Monster. I am Evil.
2011 has been a difficult year for me and I appreciate the leeway fans have given me. Your support and cheers mean a lot to me. It took a long time to convince the fans and the locker room that I am a changed man, but the Monster still lives in me. There is still Evil in my heart. But I think I can control it. Everyday is a struggle.

10 years ago, almost to the day, I walked into the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City, a young 27 year old warrior ready to face the future. Confident, defiant, and focused. I was the ECW heavyweight champion of the World. But now, a decade later, I walk into that famous arena as a man fighting for not only MY future, but the future of Ring Of Honor.

ROH fans may cheer Kevin Steen, but your cheers are only justifying what this man is doing. By letting him back into ROH, it will start a chain of events that can only lead to the destruction of Ring Of Honor. If I lose and the Monster comes back to ROH, no one will be able to stop him. Not even Davey Richards.

Kevin will tell you that I pander to Jim Cornette, but he's wrong. Few people know that it was Jim Cornette that helped me out when I was just a youngster in pro-wrestling. He paved the way for WWF tryouts, stays in the old USWA in Memphis and WWC in Puerto Rico, and was a man I could look to for advice. I owe this to him. I owe this to the ROH lockeroom. And, even if you don't believe me, I owe this to you fans. Kevin Steen MUST be gone from ROH forever.

On December 23, I am going to do what I have to do to defeat Kevin. Jimmy Jacobs is there to be a referee, not for my sake, but so Kevin can not bully the ROH referees like he did at Final Battle 2010. I don't need anyone's help in this fight. This is my fight.

When I wake up on December 24 I will know what the future of Steve Corino holds. If I win, it will be a Rebirth of my career. One last chance at glory. And to do so, I know that I have to be Evil just one more time. I am prepared.

If I lose, the Destruction of not only Steve Corino, but ROH, begins. I can't let that happen.

Steve Corino vs. Kevin Steen...Rebirth Or Destruction...HELL HAS NO HONOR.

My name is Steve Corino and for one last night on December 23rd, I am EVIL.

Steve Corino
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Re: THIS WILL BE AWESOME!

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 20th, '11, 08:32

I am actually biting my nails, and by the time I finished reading this, I actually shouted, "NO STEVE, don't give it all up!"

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Dec 20th, '11, 10:34

I'm not into this angle anymore. It all seems too forced and sometimes even corny, like this. ROH is going downhill. Their TV show isn't anything special and even their roster is getting thinner and thinner.
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 20th, '11, 13:01

yourcrapsweak wrote:I'm not into this angle anymore. It all seems too forced and sometimes even corny, like this. ROH is going downhill. Their TV show isn't anything special and even their roster is getting thinner and thinner.
A lot of people are saying this. I don't know that they company is getting any worse, but I think that the feeling is missing. I really wasn't excited at all for any of the last few shows aside from Survival Of The Fittest, and that was only to see who would win the tournament because it was almost certain that they were going to elevate someone new. They pretty much threw Glory By Honor X... the tenth installment of what was originally intended to be their signature event, and definite is one of their big five... under the bus for Final Battle 200... and I'm not even particularly excited for that. I'm sure the show will be awesome (I had the same feeling about Death Before Dishonor IX), but I'm just not that excited for it.

A couple of the new name son the roster are just not cutting it. Bennett has to go. The only heat he gets is legit heat because no one wants to see him. Lethal has been okay, but not great. Coleman and Alexander have been eh. I haven't been disappointed with Haas & Benjamin as a team, but others who have seen more recent shows have been. We knew the Young Bucks would rock, and Future Shock and the Bravados have been great. Ciampa and TJP have been pretty good, and Elgin has been awesome, but it hasn't been enough to cover up the loses of Hero, Claudio, Cabana, and Daniels (especially when you factor in the losses Aries and Stevens late last year to "budget cuts"). Add in the major disappointment that Homicide was (people are actually thankful that he isn't wasting space on the card anymore), and you have what seems like a major downswing for ROH. They have a lot of talent, but only one angle that is really drawing (Steen).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Dec 20th, '11, 13:59

And not only have they been losing names, but they have been losing a lot of talent as well. ROH lately has had some really crappy wrestling.
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Dec 20th, '11, 15:50

Big Red Machine wrote:
yourcrapsweak wrote:I'm not into this angle anymore. It all seems too forced and sometimes even corny, like this. ROH is going downhill. Their TV show isn't anything special and even their roster is getting thinner and thinner.
A lot of people are saying this. I don't know that they company is getting any worse, but I think that the feeling is missing. I really wasn't excited at all for any of the last few shows aside from Survival Of The Fittest, and that was only to see who would win the tournament because it was almost certain that they were going to elevate someone new. They pretty much threw Glory By Honor X... the tenth installment of what was originally intended to be their signature event, and definite is one of their big five... under the bus for Final Battle 200... and I'm not even particularly excited for that. I'm sure the show will be awesome (I had the same feeling about Death Before Dishonor IX), but I'm just not that excited for it.

A couple of the new name son the roster are just not cutting it. Bennett has to go. The only heat he gets is legit heat because no one wants to see him. Lethal has been okay, but not great. Coleman and Alexander have been eh. I haven't been disappointed with Haas & Benjamin as a team, but others who have seen more recent shows have been. We knew the Young Bucks would rock, and Future Shock and the Bravados have been great. Ciampa and TJP have been pretty good, and Elgin has been awesome, but it hasn't been enough to cover up the loses of Hero, Claudio, Cabana, and Daniels (especially when you factor in the losses Aries and Stevens late last year to "budget cuts"). Add in the major disappointment that Homicide was (people are actually thankful that he isn't wasting space on the card anymore), and you have what seems like a major downswing for ROH. They have a lot of talent, but only one angle that is really drawing (Steen).
I think Eddie v. Davey is drawing pretty well also, and the Briscoes journey towards recapturing the tag belts is keeping me interested; but you're dead on about everything else. Bennet SUX and Coleman and Alexander aren't very good imo (bring in DCFC or Cheech and Cloudy instead; at least they still got Bucks, Bravados, ANX, and Future Shock). The new show comes off as TOO old school; it's like a show from the 80's with less wacky/intriguing characters. I hope the build the Embassy back up (add more guys to the faction), put Delirious back in the ring (very popular character they haven't done much with), and Bring Hero back (Bonifide main eventer and GREAT candidate to be champ some time next year).

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Dec 20th, '11, 16:09

badnewzxl wrote: the Briscoes journey towards recapturing the tag belts is keeping me interested; but you're dead on about everything else.
this is one of the things that have been most annoying to me since DBD. if the plan was for the Briscoes to go for the titles at Final Battle, they should have made Ladder War III for the contendership AT Final Battle, considering that GBH this year was crapped (for some time there, i thought they had cancelled it this year). But then they gave ANX the title shot, then briscoes, then it was cancelled, then again they got it...it's been an annoying amount of title shots.

Davey vs Eddie has been good, but it's already been three matches since summer. Davey needs a new contender that is not Eddie or Roddy. Hopefully Hero and Steen may step up to the challenge.

For the rest, i agree with you guys, i've lost a lot of interest in some guys. My main draw this last weeks has been Bucks/Shock/Bravados involvement. I'm hoping that the crown jewel vs crown jewel thing will last for a while, that i can get behind off.

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Dec 20th, '11, 17:02

cero2k wrote:
badnewzxl wrote: the Briscoes journey towards recapturing the tag belts is keeping me interested; but you're dead on about everything else.
this is one of the things that have been most annoying to me since DBD. if the plan was for the Briscoes to go for the titles at Final Battle, they should have made Ladder War III for the contendership AT Final Battle, considering that GBH this year was crapped (for some time there, i thought they had cancelled it this year). But then they gave ANX the title shot, then briscoes, then it was cancelled, then again they got it...it's been an annoying amount of title shots.

Davey vs Eddie has been good, but it's already been three matches since summer. Davey needs a new contender that is not Eddie or Roddy. Hopefully Hero and Steen may step up to the challenge.

For the rest, i agree with you guys, i've lost a lot of interest in some guys. My main draw this last weeks has been Bucks/Shock/Bravados involvement. I'm hoping that the crown jewel vs crown jewel thing will last for a while, that i can get behind off.
GBH was GREAT, I heard: ANX v. WGTT, Briscoes v. Bucks, Edwards v. O'reilly, Davey v. Generico (with an appearance from Steen), Roddy v. Lethal; I'm actually gonna buy this asap.

Davey and Eddie haven't faced one another one on one since Best in the World have they? I do hope Steen and Hero become contenders; Generico should be in the hunt full fledged from here on out.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Dec 20th, '11, 17:28

badnewzxl wrote:
GBH was GREAT, I heard: ANX v. WGTT, Briscoes v. Bucks, Edwards v. O'reilly, Davey v. Generico (with an appearance from Steen), Roddy v. Lethal; I'm actually gonna buy this asap.

Davey and Eddie haven't faced one another one on one since Best in the World have they? I do hope Steen and Hero become contenders; Generico should be in the hunt full fledged from here on out.
I'm not saying it was bad, i'm just saying that ROH didn't really go out there to promote the show, their site has been counting down to Final Battle since DBD.

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Dec 20th, '11, 18:31

cero2k wrote:
badnewzxl wrote:

I'm not saying it was bad, i'm just saying that ROH didn't really go out there to promote the show, their site has been counting down to Final Battle since DBD.
I think that's just bc Final Battle and DBD were iPPV's and GBH wasn't this year.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 20th, '11, 21:42

cero2k wrote:
Davey vs Eddie has been good, but it's already been three matches since summer.
What are you talking about? They haven't faced off since BITW, and the only other match they have had was the TV Title Tournament finals almost two years ago.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 20th, '11, 21:48

badnewzxl wrote:
cero2k wrote:
badnewzxl wrote:

I think that's just bc Final Battle and DBD were iPPV's and GBH wasn't this year.
That's no reason to just throw the show away, and they have never done it before. They never threw Supercard Of Honor away, and they didn't throw the 8th Anniversary Show or Manhattan Mayhem IV away.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Dec 20th, '11, 23:19

How'd they throw it away? As I said, I heard it was a VERY good show; just wasn't a ppv this year. SCOH and MM4 weren't either, so how was GBH "thrown away?" That's the part that I'm not getting cuz tha card looks GREAT and I've only read good things about it....

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Dec 20th, '11, 23:25

If you're talking about the promotion of the show, then I guess I see what you're saying. DBD took the usually spot for GBH this year; they should have just not had a GBH this year or named the Center Stage shows GBH or DBD, since those are two trademark ROH shows.

If they plan to have five or six ippv's per year, they should be the Anniversary show, SCOH, DBD, GBH, and FB. I'd like to see Survival of the Fittest on iPPV too.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Dec 20th, '11, 23:29

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote:
What are you talking about? They haven't faced off since BITW, and the only other match they have had was the TV Title Tournament finals almost two years ago.
really?? it was my understanding that this was Eddie vs Davey III, my bad then...

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Dec 20th, '11, 23:33

badnewzxl wrote:If you're talking about the promotion of the show, then I guess I see what you're saying. DBD took the usually spot for GBH this year; they should have just not had a GBH this year or named the Center Stage shows GBH or DBD, since those are two trademark ROH shows.

If they plan to have five or six ippv's per year, they should be the Anniversary show, SCOH, DBD, GBH, and FB. I'd like to see Survival of the Fittest on iPPV too.
yeah, i was saying that GBH this year had no more attention than any other non-PPV show. even less than MM4, and considering it was the tenth anniversary of the (IMO) ROH Wrestlemania, I would have imagine something big.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 21st, '11, 00:39

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote:
really?? it was my understanding that this was Eddie vs Davey III, my bad then...
It is Davey-Eddie III. The first match was the TV Title Tournament Finals. The second match was at Best In The World 2011, and then there is this match coming up.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 21st, '11, 00:43

badnewzxl wrote:If you're talking about the promotion of the show, then I guess I see what you're saying. DBD took the usually spot for GBH this year; they should have just not had a GBH this year or named the Center Stage shows GBH or DBD, since those are two trademark ROH shows.

Back when he was booking, Gabe said that the reason that he chose not to make the ROH trademark shows into PPVs was because those shows were already important, and thus, were going to sell DVDs anyway (especially if they were good). By having the PPVs be new shows, it created a second series of very important shows that would also sell DVDs. The same logic sort of applies here.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Dec 21st, '11, 00:49

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote: really?? it was my understanding that this was Eddie vs Davey III, my bad then...
It is Davey-Eddie III. The first match was the TV Title Tournament Finals. The second match was at Best In The World 2011, and then there is this match coming up.
I just thought there had already been a rematch from BITW

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 21st, '11, 09:43

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote: really?? it was my understanding that this was Eddie vs Davey III, my bad then...
I just thought there had already been a rematch from BITW
Nope. Davey has barely been around, and there haven't been that many shows. I believe that this will only be Davey's third defense in an ROH ring.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation