2 Cents: How will John Cena use his MITB Contract?

Get your opinions out
Forum rules
All Topics must start with "2 cents:" continued by the wrestler, event, segment, match being talked about.

example:
2 cents: John Cena
cero2k
Site Admin

2 Cents: How will John Cena use his MITB Contract?

Post by cero2k » Jul 16th, '12, 12:43

there's really no more point in arguing whether Cena should have won the briefcase or not. He did.

But let's start to consider how could Cena cash in his briefcase. Let's face it, it's Cena, he won't simply come out and take advantage of a fallen guy, and let's face it, he could come out and cash it in and actually win without a problem. So what will happen??

will he cash it on the 1000th RAW?
will he cash it on Summerslam?
will he wait til WM to challenge The Rock?
will he cash it on Punk and turn heel?

Verdun

Re: 2 Cents: How will John Cena use his MITB Contract?

Post by Verdun » Jul 16th, '12, 13:35

Going off the logic that they can't ever turn Cena heel, my guess is that he'll use it the way Rob Van Dam did it. To pick the setting and have a straight face-to-face match.
Lady Luck is smiling...

RedSon

Post by RedSon » Jul 18th, '12, 18:29

too late to answer, cena couldn't keep it in his pants
The Man That Gravity Forgot!

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Jul 18th, '12, 21:17

I'm gonna go ahead and say that Cena loses this one. Whether it's clean or with interference or something weird I dunno, but I'd put money on Cena losing.

First of all, Cena doesn't need to win. They've been pushing a bunch of things pretty hard, one of them being that everyone who has cashed it in has won. This could be a subtle hint to say hey the next person won't win and it's gonna be a big deal. And think about it, if anyone is gonna lose, it's Cena. If Ziggler lost when he cashed it in, then it would destroy Ziggler because he would need that push. Cena? It doesn't matter if he loses, because he's gonna be as over as ever no matter what.

Also, they've been mentioning that Punk has been champ for a certain amount of days and they're piling up. I think they're trying to get over that Punk has been champ for so long because they want Punk to keep the title for a lot longer, just so they can say "hey Punk's been the champ for a year now" or whatever because it's been a common criticism that people don't hold titles for very long anymore and they've lost their prestige.

I'm just taking some subtle hints, here.
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 18th, '12, 21:51

yourcrapsweak wrote:I'm gonna go ahead and say that Cena loses this one. Whether it's clean or with interference or something weird I dunno, but I'd put money on Cena losing.

First of all, Cena doesn't need to win. They've been pushing a bunch of things pretty hard, one of them being that everyone who has cashed it in has won. This could be a subtle hint to say hey the next person won't win and it's gonna be a big deal. And think about it, if anyone is gonna lose, it's Cena. If Ziggler lost when he cashed it in, then it would destroy Ziggler because he would need that push. Cena? It doesn't matter if he loses, because he's gonna be as over as ever no matter what.

Also, they've been mentioning that Punk has been champ for a certain amount of days and they're piling up. I think they're trying to get over that Punk has been champ for so long because they want Punk to keep the title for a lot longer, just so they can say "hey Punk's been the champ for a year now" or whatever because it's been a common criticism that people don't hold titles for very long anymore and they've lost their prestige.

I totally agree with the logic here, and I'm certain that Cena won't win the belt, but he might win the match by DQ due to an attack by Big Show
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 18th, '12, 22:39

Big Red Machine wrote:
yourcrapsweak wrote:I'm gonna go ahead and say that Cena loses this one. Whether it's clean or with interference or something weird I dunno, but I'd put money on Cena losing.

I totally agree with the logic here, and I'm certain that Cena won't win the belt, but he might win the match by DQ due to an attack by Big Show
i would completely agree any other day of the year, but it's the 1000th episode. It can only end two ways

(1) the face of wwe changing in something soo big that will shadow any other thing happening in wrestling.
(2) Cena (poster boy of pro wrestling and wwe for the last ~400 episodes) holding up the title up high. it's easier for punk to lose the title because of interference than Cena.

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Jul 19th, '12, 11:32

cero2k wrote:i would completely agree any other day of the year, but it's the 1000th episode. It can only end two ways

(1) the face of wwe changing in something soo big that will shadow any other thing happening in wrestling.
(2) Cena (poster boy of pro wrestling and wwe for the last ~400 episodes) holding up the title up high. it's easier for punk to lose the title because of interference than Cena.
You're assuming that this will be the angle to end the show. I see something with Rock ending the show, perhaps with Cena too.
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 19th, '12, 12:03

yourcrapsweak wrote:
cero2k wrote:i would completely agree any other day of the year, but it's the 1000th episode. It can only end two ways

You're assuming that this will be the angle to end the show. I see something with Rock ending the show, perhaps with Cena too.
Rock's only business will be to talk about the title, if that were to end the show it will involve Cena as a champ. If an angle ends the show, it won't be about the title, it will be bigger than that. The only way i see Punk retaining will be is Austin returns and confronts him, otherwise it's pretty much set in stone

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 19th, '12, 13:00

cero2k wrote:
yourcrapsweak wrote:

Rock's only business will be to talk about the title, if that were to end the show it will involve Cena as a champ. If an angle ends the show, it won't be about the title, it will be bigger than that. The only way i see Punk retaining will be is Austin returns and confronts him, otherwise it's pretty much set in stone
Why are we assuming it is Rock vs. Cena? They already did that. Why can't they start building to Rock vs. Punk?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 19th, '12, 13:11

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote: Rock's only business will be to talk about the title, if that were to end the show it will involve Cena as a champ. If an angle ends the show, it won't be about the title, it will be bigger than that. The only way i see Punk retaining will be is Austin returns and confronts him, otherwise it's pretty much set in stone
Why are we assuming it is Rock vs. Cena? They already did that. Why can't they start building to Rock vs. Punk?
not blockbuster enough. I can only see Rock face either Cena in a (Twice in a lifetime match) or Lesnar. Plus Rock vs Punk doesn't mean Punk needs to retain on monday in order to happen

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 19th, '12, 13:50

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote: Rock's only business will be to talk about the title, if that were to end the show it will involve Cena as a champ. If an angle ends the show, it won't be about the title, it will be bigger than that. The only way i see Punk retaining will be is Austin returns and confronts him, otherwise it's pretty much set in stone
not blockbuster enough.
Not blockbuster enough? Punk is ridiculously over, and Rock is Rock. Give it months of build and there you go.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Jul 19th, '12, 18:23

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote: not blockbuster enough.
Not blockbuster enough? Punk is ridiculously over, and Rock is Rock. Give it months of build and there you go.
No you can't just give months of build and there you go. It's reputation. Everybody knows Cena, he's the face of wrestling. He's this generation's Hulk Hogan. Rock is Rock. Punk is champ and he's over, but he's not a mega-star like Cena is. He's not a mega-star like Rock. It takes years of pushing and being the face of a company to be at that level. It's not something you can build for months and invest into, it's something that's based on reputation.
-Kevin Steen

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jul 19th, '12, 19:15

yourcrapsweak wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote: not blockbuster enough.
No you can't just give months of build and there you go. It's reputation. Everybody knows Cena, he's the face of wrestling. He's this generation's Hulk Hogan. Rock is Rock. Punk is champ and he's over, but he's not a mega-star like Cena is. He's not a mega-star like Rock. It takes years of pushing and being the face of a company to be at that level. It's not something you can build for months and invest into, it's something that's based on reputation.
what about Brock at WM 19 then? He had been there only a year and his match with Angle was still big. Rock v. Punk would def be over; just as much as Rock v. Cena 2 (which ppl wouldn't care much about considering how much of a wind-sucking competition it was this past Mania. It only needs to be "blockbuster" when the guys involved can't consistently carry the angle in the ring. Cena, Rock, Hogan, HHH; guys like that are best at building a feud by talking sh*t, while Punk can keep it moving in the ring. Just have Punk view everyone in the same light as the Rock (i.e. reveal any similarities between whomever he's fighting and the Rock) and he can carry that feud. Those other guys have to get on the mic, remind us of things we already know, and put the match over. Punk's the type of guy who can GET the match over by actually DOING something and not just talking. Rock v. Punk would work bc you've got one guy talking and the other guy PROVING.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 19th, '12, 23:15

badnewzxl wrote:
yourcrapsweak wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: Not blockbuster enough? Punk is ridiculously over, and Rock is Rock. Give it months of build and there you go.
what about Brock at WM 19 then? He had been there only a year and his match with Angle was still big. Rock v. Punk would def be over; just as much as Rock v. Cena 2 (which ppl wouldn't care much about considering how much of a wind-sucking competition it was this past Mania. It only needs to be "blockbuster" when the guys involved can't consistently carry the angle in the ring. Cena, Rock, Hogan, HHH; guys like that are best at building a feud by talking sh*t, while Punk can keep it moving in the ring. Just have Punk view everyone in the same light as the Rock (i.e. reveal any similarities between whomever he's fighting and the Rock) and he can carry that feud. Those other guys have to get on the mic, remind us of things we already know, and put the match over. Punk's the type of guy who can GET the match over by actually DOING something and not just talking. Rock v. Punk would work bc you've got one guy talking and the other guy PROVING.
EXACTLY!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Jul 19th, '12, 23:26

badnewzxl wrote:
yourcrapsweak wrote: No you can't just give months of build and there you go. It's reputation. Everybody knows Cena, he's the face of <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#"><a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">wrestling</a></a>. He's this generation's Hulk Hogan. Rock is Rock. Punk is champ and he's over, but he's not a mega-star like Cena is. He's not a mega-star like Rock. It takes years of pushing and being the face of a company to be at that level. It's not something you can build for months and <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#"><a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">invest</a></a> into, it's something that's based on reputation.
what about Brock at WM 19 then? He had been there only a year and his match with Angle was still big. Rock v. Punk would def be over; just as much as Rock v. Cena 2 (which ppl wouldn't care much about considering how much of a wind-sucking competition it was this past Mania. It only needs to be "blockbuster" when the guys involved can't consistently carry the angle in the ring. Cena, Rock, Hogan, HHH; guys like that are best at building a feud by talking sh*t, while Punk can keep it <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#"><a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">moving</a></a> in the ring. Just have Punk view everyone in the same light as the Rock (i.e. reveal any similarities between whomever he's fighting and the Rock) and he can carry that feud. Those other guys have to get on the mic, remind us of things we already know, and put the match over. Punk's the type of guy who can GET the match over by actually DOING something and not just talking. Rock v. Punk would <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#"><a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">work</a></a> bc you've got one guy talking and the other guy PROVING.
Brock vs. Angle is a bad example, it was not supposed to be blockbuster. If any match from XIX was blockbuster, it was Rock vs. Austin. They'd built Brock and Angle for a while and it headlined because it was the title match (which was because the idea back then was that the title match had to go on last, i.e. Jericho vs. Hunter going after Rock vs. Hogan at X8). I think you're missing the point of a "blockbuster" match. The whole idea behind a "blockbuster" match is drawing basically on names and reputations alone. Punk is not at the level of Hunter, Rock, Cena, Brock, etc. Yeah he is arguably the best in the world, but does his name have that mega-star power as much as Rock does? Hell no. Everyone knows Rock, everyone knows Cena, and now because of Brock's reputation, everyone knows him too (UFC really helped). Punk COULD carry a feud with Rock, but it would not draw from a mainstream audience like Cena vs. Rock would. It's NOT a blockbuster match, no matter how much you built it week to week on TV, and no matter how good the build was. A lot of us are stuck in this fantasy world where we think just because a worker can do anything and do it well, he's the best and he can get away with anything. Well the reality of it is just that Punk isn't as big a star as Cena and wouldn't draw with the Rock as well as Cena did. That's my whole point. It wouldn't be worth the investment, and WWE knows that.
-Kevin Steen

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 19th, '12, 23:49

yourcrapsweak wrote:
badnewzxl wrote:
yourcrapsweak wrote: No you can't just give months of build and there you go. It's reputation. Everybody knows Cena, he's the face of <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#"><a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">wrestling</a></a>. He's this generation's Hulk Hogan. Rock is Rock. Punk is champ and he's over, but he's not a mega-star like Cena is. He's not a mega-star like Rock. It takes years of pushing and being the face of a company to be at that level. It's not something you can build for months and <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#"><a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">invest</a></a> into, it's something that's based on reputation.
what about Brock at WM 19 then? He had been there only a year and his match with Angle was still big. Rock v. Punk would def be over; just as much as Rock v. Cena 2 (which ppl wouldn't care much about considering how much of a wind-sucking competition it was this past Mania. It only needs to be "blockbuster" when the guys involved can't consistently carry the angle in the ring. Cena, Rock, Hogan, HHH; guys like that are best at building a feud by talking sh*t, while Punk can keep it <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#"><a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">moving</a></a> in the ring. Just have Punk view everyone in the same light as the Rock (i.e. reveal any similarities between whomever he's fighting and the Rock) and he can carry that feud. Those other guys have to get on the mic, remind us of things we already know, and put the match over. Punk's the type of guy who can GET the match over by actually DOING something and not just talking. Rock v. Punk would <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#"><a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">work</a></a> bc you've got one guy talking and the other guy PROVING.
Brock vs. Angle is a bad example, it was not supposed to be blockbuster. If any match from XIX was blockbuster, it was Rock vs. Austin. They'd built Brock and Angle for a while and it headlined because it was the title match (which was because the idea back then was that the title match had to go on last, i.e. Jericho vs. Hunter going after Rock vs. Hogan at X8). I think you're missing the point of a "blockbuster" match. The whole idea behind a "blockbuster" match is drawing basically on names and reputations alone. Punk is not at the level of Hunter, Rock, Cena, Brock, etc. Yeah he is arguably the best in the world, but does his name have that mega-star power as much as Rock does? Hell no. Everyone knows Rock, everyone knows Cena, and now because of Brock's reputation, everyone knows him too (UFC really helped). Punk COULD carry a feud with Rock, but it would not draw from a mainstream audience like Cena vs. Rock would. It's NOT a blockbuster match, no matter how much you built it week to week on TV, and no matter how good the build was. A lot of us are stuck in this fantasy world where we think just because a worker can do anything and do it well, he's the best and he can get away with anything. Well the reality of it is just that Punk isn't as big a star as Cena and wouldn't draw with the Rock as well as Cena did. That's my whole point. It wouldn't be worth the investment, and WWE knows that.
Maybe Punk isn't at that level, but the way you get him there is by putting him in a program with a guy like Rock. Of course doing so would be worth the investment to WWE! It would raise the stock of a guy who is already on his way to becoming a mega-star.

And, for the record (according to Jericho's book), both Hunter and Jericho lobbied hard to go on BEFORE Rock and Hogan.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Jul 20th, '12, 00:01

Big Red Machine wrote: Maybe Punk isn't at that level, but the way you get him there is by putting him in a program with a guy like Rock. Of course doing so would be worth the investment to WWE! It would raise the stock of a guy who is already on his way to becoming a mega-star.

And, for the record (according to Jericho's book), both Hunter and Jericho lobbied hard to go on BEFORE Rock and Hogan.
I don't think it would work that way. You can't just do one program with Rock and be a mega-star for the rest of your life, it takes years of building. Would it help him? Yeah it would, but it wouldn't automatically shoot him up there. And right now, they're not focusing on making Punk that mega-big yet, they want the biggest draw possible for 'Mania (assuming Rock is even coming back for 'Mania).

For these blockbuster matches, you also have to think that they are few and far in between. Think if Punk did this, what would he do afterward? Cena worked with Brock after 'Mania, and now is back to normal I guess you could say, but Cena is, again, on another level than Punk. What would Punk do after his program with Rock is over? Work with Cena again? If that happens, then what after that? Big Show? It doesn't help as much as you think. Several years later, saying "oh he worked with Rock" won't mean a damn thing if he spent the rest of the time doing what he did before. And they're not replacing Cena with Punk, so Punk won't be at that level while he's still there.

And yeah I know, that was my point. Back then, the title had to go on last in Vince's eyes. Now-a-days, it's opening the damn show.
-Kevin Steen

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 20th, '12, 00:17

yourcrapsweak wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: Maybe Punk isn't at that level, but the way you get him there is by putting him in a program with a guy like Rock. Of course doing so would be worth the investment to WWE! It would raise the stock of a guy who is already on his way to becoming a mega-star.

I don't think it would work that way. You can't just do one program with Rock and be a mega-star for the rest of your life, it takes years of building. Would it help him? Yeah it would, but it wouldn't automatically shoot him up there. And right now, they're not focusing on making Punk that mega-big yet, they want the biggest draw possible for 'Mania (assuming Rock is even coming back for 'Mania).

For these blockbuster matches, you also have to think that they are few and far in between. Think if Punk did this, what would he do afterward? Cena worked with Brock after 'Mania, and now is back to normal I guess you could say, but Cena is, again, on another level than Punk. What would Punk do after his program with Rock is over? Work with Cena again? If that happens, then what after that? Big Show? It doesn't help as much as you think. Several years later, saying "oh he worked with Rock" won't mean a damn thing if he spent the rest of the time doing what he did before. And they're not replacing Cena with Punk, so Punk won't be at that level while he's still there.

And yeah I know, that was my point. Back then, the title had to go on last in Vince's eyes. Now-a-days, it's opening the damn show.
He would work with Rock, then stay at the top of the card, working with the likes of Cena, Orton, Dragon, etc. (and hopefully, eventually, guys like Ziggler and Del Rio, too).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jul 20th, '12, 01:04

yourcrapsweak wrote:
badnewzxl wrote:
just bc it wasn't spose to be, doesn't mean that it wasn't. I think that's the problem with WWE these days; they have no idea what's over. Lesnar & Angle was mega over back then bc of the credentials of the guys involved; just like Bryan v. Punk has been over this year.

And I agree with BRM here; putting Punk in a feud with someone like the Rock or Brock Lesnar will be his test to see if he can get over on their level. Right now, WWE needs to test those grounds so they can elevate their talent. I'm not saying he shouldn't face HHH at all; he should just fight some other guys along the way....

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 20th, '12, 12:55

Big Red Machine wrote:
yourcrapsweak wrote: I don't think it would work that way. You can't just do one program with Rock and be a mega-star for the rest of your life, it takes years of building. Would it help him? Yeah it would, but it wouldn't automatically shoot him up there. And right now, they're not focusing on making Punk that mega-big yet, they want the biggest draw possible for 'Mania (assuming Rock is even coming back for 'Mania).

He would work with Rock, then stay at the top of the card, working with the likes of Cena, Orton, Dragon, etc. (and hopefully, eventually, guys like Ziggler and Del Rio, too).
it doesn't simply work that way, there's is just soo much space in the main event scene. Look how low guys like Miz went down after main eventing against the Rock and feuding with Triple H because the top card is soo f'n clustered. it would be easily achieved if the lower titles meant anything, then you could have feuds for the IC title or the Tag titles and not lose all momentum, but it's not like that. Right now if Dragon doesn't continue feuding for a title, it's gonna be considered a de-push.