2 Cents: RAW 1000 Episode

Get your opinions out
Forum rules
All Topics must start with "2 cents:" continued by the wrestler, event, segment, match being talked about.

example:
2 cents: John Cena
cero2k
Site Admin

2 Cents: RAW 1000 Episode

Post by cero2k » Jul 23rd, '12, 21:17

It...is....done. Just minutes ago, WWE closed out their 1000th episode of Monday Night RAW. We saw a lot of guest appearances, we saw some matches, some title matches, and many many more stuff.

what is your overall opinion on the show?? what was left out ?? what was unnecessary??

yourcrapsweak

Re: 2 Cents: RAW 1000 Episode

Post by yourcrapsweak » Jul 23rd, '12, 21:21

There was no energy for any return and it really made the show fall flat for me, looking back in retrospect. Like every guy that made their return, it was just like "oh here they are," and we're all like "oh, hi."
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 23rd, '12, 21:34

yourcrapsweak wrote:There was no energy for any return and it really made the show fall flat for me, looking back in retrospect. Like every guy that made their return, it was just like "oh here they are," and we're all like "oh, hi."
I 100% agree. The only return that I really cared about was Taker, and that was more because I was expecting it and wanted to pop for it.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jul 25th, '12, 10:02

My favorite part of the show was Video Package they aired at the beginning. The rest just wasn't for me. Don't get me wrong, it was a good show, I was locked in for the entire 3 hours, but as Punk pandered back up the ramp to the back to close the show I had this empty feeling. Like when all you get for Christmas is clothes.

I think it's absurd that they continue to bury the relevance and credibility of Brett Hart and Mick Foley, among others. I'm inclined to think that they didn't WANT Austin there, because just like Wrestlemania, they wanted this to be about The Rock and there's not enough room in the building for both of them. If they wanted Austin there, they would have made it happen. Period.

I was also expecting to see a tribute made to the deceased that were there in spirit. Sure they gave a nod to Eddie, but what about the others? Not Beniot, of course, but I was kind of looking forward to a little diddy featuring guys like Eddie, Owen, Pillman, and Macho Man.

Was also looking forward to Dean Ambrose debuting... were't we promised debuts? He's the only seasoned FCW guy from recent memory that's been left off of NXT, I figured that was a sign.

I was hoping to see Lesnar destroy Triple H. I was hoping to see Bryan and AJ become a Power Couple. I was hoping for a clean win from Punk and a Cena melt down. I was hoping to see Ambrose and Austin, and Jim Ross in the booth all night. I was hoping to see Hall and Nash break up the DX Reunion. All I got was clothes.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 25th, '12, 10:24

Bob-O wrote:My favorite part of the show was Video Package they aired at the beginning. The rest just wasn't for me. Don't get me wrong, it was a good show, I was locked in for the entire 3 hours, but as Punk pandered back up the ramp to the back to close the show I had this empty feeling. Like when all you get for Christmas is clothes.

I think it's absurd that they continue to bury the relevance and credibility of Brett Hart and Mick Foley, among others. I'm inclined to think that they didn't WANT Austin there, because just like Wrestlemania, they wanted this to be about The Rock and there's not enough room in the building for both of them. If they wanted Austin there, they would have made it happen. Period.

I was also expecting to see a tribute made to the deceased that were there in spirit. Sure they gave a nod to Eddie, but what about the others? Not Beniot, of course, but I was kind of looking forward to a little diddy featuring guys like Eddie, Owen, Pillman, and Macho Man.

Was also looking forward to Dean Ambrose debuting... were't we promised debuts? He's the only seasoned FCW guy from recent memory that's been left off of NXT, I figured that was a sign.

I was hoping to see Lesnar destroy Triple H. I was hoping to see Bryan and AJ become a Power Couple. I was hoping for a clean win from Punk and a Cena melt down. I was hoping to see Ambrose and Austin, and Jim Ross in the booth all night. I was hoping to see Hall and Nash break up the DX Reunion. All I got was clothes.
I don't know if we were ever actually promised debuts, but this would have been an awesome time to debut a new character whom they were 100% committed to pushing. It would have been a great use of both of them if they did something with the Ambrose-Foley thing they setting up through Twitter earlier in the year.

I agree about the deceased wrestlers (although I'm pretty sure they couldn't show Owen because of Martha).

Austin declined to show up because he didn't want to be there on crutches.

With Foley and Bret, I think this problem extends to the way that all of the nostalgia acts aside from DX and Steph were used: They were just random cameos... Steph's wasn't because she was involved in an angle, and DX's wasn't because their schtick really doesn't work as a five second cameo. The only one that felt like it meant anything was Trish, and that is because the segment she was involved in was a throwback to another famous segment between her and Triple H (rather than having value on its own).

As for your last paragraph, I explained (either in the live results thread or in my review, don't remember which one) why I thought it was a lot better for Triple H to get the best of Brock here. Everything else you said, though... that would have bee F*CKING AWESOME (although I would have put Ambrose with Foley instead).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

RedSon

Post by RedSon » Jul 25th, '12, 11:14

here it comes. I mostly agree with everything bob-O just said.

- on one side, this show was an homage to every fan that has stayed with raw over the years. all the little references made it a joy. the pee pee choppy choppy, the return of the hand, the trish segment, all those were gifts to the fans who know about raw and i really appreciate them.

now on to the other side. this was wwe nostalgia show 101, they did the same thing they always do. they had the same guys they always do, duggan, piper, mae young, etc etc, raw was built on the attitude era, they should have brought those guys, i was really hoping to see guys like steve blackman, hardcore holly, val venis, godfather, gangrel, matt hardy, goldust. at this point i'm really tired of piper and duggan, i don't wanna see them in my tv anymore. furthermore, you would expect wwe to pull off all the strings for this show, this was bigger than wrestlemania! i understand austin being hurt, but why not do a pre-taped thing via satellite!? where was edge? where was batista? where was randy orton in freaking st louis!!?

on the same note, i think that likewise wrestlemania, this show needed to push on certain thing. they needed to make all the title holders present at least at some point. there were no tag team sightings, aj and layla were the only divas featured and they didn't even fight, it was a comedy segment to make the hand joke. i don't count lita as a diva match because she was there as a legend and not a diva, and trish only had a 3 minute segment. but i think that a lot of time was wasted on segments that could have give us some matches to include those guys that people may want to see.

the triple h/lesnar thing was ok, i don't think that lesnar needed to go over again, but neither did triple h. now i know that triple can handle lesnar, i don't care about the summerslam match anymore. they needed to have a stalemate here, have half of the locker room that wasn't used by the way, and separate them both like with cena and lesnar.

this brings me to the dx reunion. it was ok, good to see the old guys too and not just hbk and triple h, but why did it have to last half an hour??

the wedding was bad imo, but then again, that's nothing new. aj as a gm will be fun for two or three weeks, beyond that it's gonna get boring

the whole punk thing i was somewhat disappointed in, i'm sure that with punk involved, it will turn out great, but i was expecting the big summer angle to kick off here, and if this was it, meh, not interested yet. plus rock getting a title shot for free?? fuck off, i rather have ziggler fight for the title at the rumble again. btw, history was supposed to be made on raw when cena failed to cash in the mitb....no one mentioned it...no one.

overall the show was ok, but for a 1000 episode milestone, it was bad. like i said, this was bigger than wm, and it turned out as a 3 hr long segment of segments.

kuddos to heath slater for selling that clothesline from hell like a boss
The Man That Gravity Forgot!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 25th, '12, 11:28

RedSon wrote:here it comes. I mostly agree with everything bob-O just said.

- on one side, this show was an homage to every fan that has stayed with raw over the years. all the little references made it a joy. the pee pee choppy choppy, the return of the hand, the trish segment, all those were gifts to the fans who know about raw and i really appreciate them.

now on to the other side. this was wwe nostalgia show 101, they did the same thing they always do. they had the same guys they always do, duggan, piper, mae young, etc etc, raw was built on the attitude era, they should have brought those guys, i was really hoping to see guys like steve blackman, hardcore holly, val venis, godfather, gangrel, matt hardy, goldust. at this point i'm really tired of piper and duggan, i don't wanna see them in my tv anymore. furthermore, you would expect wwe to pull off all the strings for this show, this was bigger than wrestlemania! i understand austin being hurt, but why not do a pre-taped thing via satellite!? where was edge? where was batista? where was randy orton in freaking st louis!!?

on the same note, i think that likewise wrestlemania, this show needed to push on certain thing. they needed to make all the title holders present at least at some point. there were no tag team sightings, aj and layla were the only divas featured and they didn't even fight, it was a comedy segment to make the hand joke. i don't count lita as a diva match because she was there as a legend and not a diva, and trish only had a 3 minute segment. but i think that a lot of time was wasted on segments that could have give us some matches to include those guys that people may want to see.

the triple h/lesnar thing was ok, i don't think that lesnar needed to go over again, but neither did triple h. now i know that triple can handle lesnar, i don't care about the summerslam match anymore. they needed to have a stalemate here, have half of the locker room that wasn't used by the way, and separate them both like with cena and lesnar.

this brings me to the dx reunion. it was ok, good to see the old guys too and not just hbk and triple h, but why did it have to last half an hour??

the wedding was bad imo, but then again, that's nothing new. aj as a gm will be fun for two or three weeks, beyond that it's gonna get boring

the whole punk thing i was somewhat disappointed in, i'm sure that with punk involved, it will turn out great, but i was expecting the big summer angle to kick off here, and if this was it, meh, not interested yet. plus rock getting a title shot for free?? f**k off, i rather have ziggler fight for the title at the rumble again. btw, history was supposed to be made on raw when cena failed to cash in the mitb....no one mentioned it...no one.

overall the show was ok, but for a 1000 episode milestone, it was bad. like i said, this was bigger than wm, and it turned out as a 3 hr long segment of segments.

kuddos to heath slater for selling that clothesline from hell like a boss
Austin's whole thing as that he didn't want to be seen hurt, so doing one from a hospital bed probably wasn't something he wanted, either. Orton is still suspended. Good points about Edge and Batista, though. I don't think anyone would have minded if the Regis pre-tape was replaced by someone actually wrestling-related.

Totally agree with you about the wedding, too.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation