All Time... Best Crowd

All Time Greatest, Worst, Sickest, Weirdest, Funniest...you get the idea.
yourcrapsweak

All Time... Best Crowd

Post by yourcrapsweak » Aug 29th, '12, 07:17

Not crowd reaction, but the best crowd. Could be from a promotion in general, to a specific show, to even a match with a special atomosphere.

I am nominating the IWA-MS crowd.
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

Bob-O

Re: All Time... Best Crowd

Post by Bob-O » Aug 29th, '12, 07:29

Philly.

Whether it was ECW, ROH, or whatever in between, those crowds always made everything seem 20x larger.

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Aug 29th, '12, 07:40

Bob-O wrote:Philly.

Whether it was ECW, ROH, or whatever in between, those crowds always made everything seem 20x larger.
The only reason I would put an IWA-MS crowd above a Philly crowd is because the Philly crowd is just SO harsh and unforgiving. I can't even count how many guys had a tryout for CZW and were booed out of the building, even though they had a decent match, and never ever came back.
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 29th, '12, 10:23

Definitely NOT Philly. For ROH and CHIKARA they have been pretty good, and late ECW was good (I can't speak much on CZW), but from what I have seen of early ECW and 3PW, that crowd is a bunch of spot-marks who chant boring at anything that isn't a dive a weapon shot.

I would have said New York until some of the recent ROH shows
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 29th, '12, 10:46

Japan...so respectful

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 29th, '12, 14:15

cero2k wrote:Japan...so respectful
I don't like the Japanese crowds. The never feel anywhere near as hot for the matches.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 29th, '12, 14:19

Big Red Machine wrote:
I don't like the Japanese crowds. The never feel anywhere near as hot for the matches.
depends on the match, some japanase crowds are as hot and in to the match as anyone else in america, they just don't start smarky chants.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 29th, '12, 14:50

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
depends on the match, some japanase crowds are as hot and in to the match as anyone else in america, they just don't start smarky chants.
My issue is that they rarely start marky chants either (other than occasionally chanting the name of an ultra-major star... and I mean ultra-major. I don't think I have ever even heard them chant for Marufuji). I love my "Let's go Cena!'s and my "F him up Dragon, F him up!"s and "F you, Raven!"s and all the chants like that.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 29th, '12, 15:35

Big Red Machine wrote:
A bit irrelevant but Man,your grammar has really started to slip lately...I have never seen you make so many typos and leave words and letters out...Its almost every single post now...I know the jobless life is rough but have you been drinkin or somethin? :p
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Aug 29th, '12, 16:03

Big Red Machine wrote:

Definitely NOT Philly. For ROH and CHIKARA they have been pretty good, and late ECW was good (I can't speak much on CZW), but from what I have seen of early ECW and 3PW, that crowd is a bunch of spot-marks who chant boring at anything that isn't a dive a weapon shot.
You gotta take the good with the bad. I don't want a crowd that simply cheers when they're supposed to and boos when they're supposed to. You can't deny that the Philly crowds are all on the same page and quite vocal about their opinion of the show. Just like in anything, it's an opinion just on a larger scale. I might not agree with it, but I'll respect anything somebody puts that much passion into. It's the passion that makes them my All Time Best, not necessarily what they're being passionate about.

Anybody that paid to get into early ECW and 3PW shows obviously paid to see a bloodbath. I'm not going to hold it against them for crapping on things they thought were crap, it's all part of what I think makes them so great - even when they were booing things I was enjoying. At least they were into it!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 29th, '12, 16:49

a little twist, aside from the best crowd, which is the most in innovative crowd, for it seems most consider the best crowd as an innovative one.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 29th, '12, 19:00

KILLdozer wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
A bit irrelevant but Man,your grammar has really started to slip lately...I have never seen you make so many typos and leave words and letters out...Its almost every single post now...I know the jobless life is rough but have you been drinkin or somethin? :p
LOL. Thanks. I promise you I'll get myself back up to where I was before.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Aug 29th, '12, 21:47

Big Red Machine wrote:
To you they don't seem to be hot, but that's because it's a different culture in Japan. They treat it as a legitimate sport, and they treat it with respect by staying silent and clapping for good moves. They only cheer really when someone is an ultrastar and they're facing a big heel.
-Kevin Steen

Verdun

Post by Verdun » Aug 29th, '12, 23:00

yourcrapsweak wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
To you they don't seem to be hot, but that's because it's a different culture in Japan. They treat it as a legitimate sport, and they treat it with respect by staying silent and clapping for good moves. They only cheer really when someone is an ultrastar and they're facing a big heel.
I understand the mindset and the sentiment, but I'm with BRM on this one. For me reaction from the crowd adds so much depth and really helps suck you into the experience. I had the same problem when watching Japanese wrestling; the people are just so polite.
Lady Luck is smiling...

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Aug 30th, '12, 19:10

Verdun wrote:I understand the mindset and the sentiment, but I'm with BRM on this one. For me reaction from the crowd adds so much depth and really helps suck you into the experience. I had the same problem when watching Japanese wrestling; the people are just so polite.
Again, that's only because you're so used to the North American culture.
-Kevin Steen

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 30th, '12, 21:31

Verdun wrote:I understand the mindset and the sentiment, but I'm with BRM on this one. For me reaction from the crowd adds so much depth and really helps suck you into the experience. I had the same problem when watching Japanese wrestling; the people are just so polite.
I enjoy this too, i love a hot crowd that just jumps at every move and cheers at every pin kick out. What i don't like that much anymore, is the chanting for chanting sake, people will chant "let's go cena" "cena sucks" just because, same with the YES, the What!?, the "this is awesome". A lot of ROH shows will have duel chants just to be smarky and support the heels, regardless if they're good or not. that is what i got tired off. that's why i like japanese (and Mexican for that matter) crowds, they're pops and chants feel more sincere.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 30th, '12, 21:36

cero2k wrote:
I enjoy this too, i love a hot crowd that just jumps at every move and cheers at every pin kick out. What i don't like that much anymore, is the chanting for chanting sake, people will chant "let's go cena" "cena sucks" just because, same with the YES, the What!?, the "this is awesome". A lot of ROH shows will have duel chants just to be smarky and support the heels, regardless if they're good or not. that is what i got tired off. that's why i like japanese (and Mexican for that matter) crowds, they're pops and chants feel more sincere.
I agree with you about the chants at ROH shows, but the "LET'S GO CENA!" chants don't bother me. I don't think that is chanting just for the sake of chanting.

IMO, the best crowds are the CHIKARA crowds. They chant the right things, they are respectful, and they don't chant just for the sake of chanting.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Aug 30th, '12, 21:47

Haha... maybe I'm just a jerk, but I miss the crowds from the 80's that used to throw garbage at the heels. So bought into kayfabe. I specifically remember the Main Event from Wrestlemania 1, Hulk and Mr T vs Piper and Orndorf. There was a point when things went to the outside and I couldn't believe all the trash at ringside! I think at one point Orndorf had a wrapper stuck to his back...

Maybe not a sign of "Best Crowd", but this was acceptable back then.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 30th, '12, 21:50

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote: I enjoy this too, i love a hot crowd that just jumps at every move and cheers at every pin kick out. What i don't like that much anymore, is the chanting for chanting sake, people will chant "let's go cena" "cena sucks" just because, same with the YES, the What!?, the "this is awesome". A lot of ROH shows will have duel chants just to be smarky and support the heels, regardless if they're good or not. that is what i got tired off. that's why i like japanese (and Mexican for that matter) crowds, they're pops and chants feel more sincere.
I agree with you about the chants at ROH shows, but the "LET'S GO CENA!" chants don't bother me. I don't think that is chanting just for the sake of chanting.

IMO, the best crowds are the CHIKARA crowds. They chant the right things, they are respectful, and they don't chant just for the sake of chanting.
they don't necessarily bother me, they just have a big protocol feel to them, like the have this big signs that say "let's go cena chant" and they turn it on when it's required.

you're right about the chikara fans, they're amazing. But I wonder how they would be if Chikara officials wouldn't tell them beforehand to not say bad things.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 30th, '12, 21:51

Bob-O wrote:Haha... maybe I'm just a jerk, but I miss the crowds from the 80's that used to throw garbage at the heels. So bought into kayfabe. I specifically remember the Main Event from Wrestlemania 1, Hulk and Mr T vs Piper and Orndorf. There was a point when things went to the outside and I couldn't believe all the trash at ringside! I think at one point Orndorf had a wrapper stuck to his back...

Maybe not a sign of "Best Crowd", but this was acceptable back then.
aww dude, just check out some mexican shows out there, depending on the arenas, heels may still get piss thrown at them.