AEW Dynamite and NXT on USA viewership continues its week to week decline

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Post Reply
User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 23965
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

AEW Dynamite and NXT on USA viewership continues its week to week decline

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 20th, '19, 15:32

Source: www.PWTorch.com


By Wade Keller, PWTorch editor

October 17, 2019

Last night’s (10/16) AEW Dynamite drew 1.014 million viewers, down from the 1.140 million viewers last week. NXT on USA drew 712,000 viewers, which was down from 790,000 last week.

AEW Week One: 1.409 million viewers

AEW Week Two: 1.140 million viewers (1.018 million viewers on TNT + 122,000 on Tru)


Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
NWK2000
Posts: 1148
Joined: Feb 26th, '14, 00:52
Favorite Wrestler: Great Sasuke

Re: AEW Dynamite and NXT on USA viewership continues its week to week decline

Post by NWK2000 » Oct 20th, '19, 20:32

Wrestling fans don't actually like wrestling lol.
Up next on NWK Reviews
Jushin Liger TV Special
NJPW Wrestle Kingdom V
WWE Survivor Series 2014
WWF St.Valentine's Day Masssacre

User avatar
XIV
Posts: 1141
Joined: Aug 19th, '13, 11:38
Favorite Wrestler: Mick Foley

Re: AEW Dynamite and NXT on USA viewership continues its week to week decline

Post by XIV » Oct 22nd, '19, 05:53

Let me tell you what's diappointing about AEW/NXT

They (along with alot of the indy show bullshit) has desensitised wrestling fans. Because in a show where it's all superkicks and it's all about constant near falls, nobody looks good. If every match is set up to be a 20 minutes classic, no match becomes a classic, if high impact moves are being kicked out of, they no longer exist as high impact moves. AEW & NXT are both guilty of these. The art of creating a match and compelling story during the match is nearing extinction and rarely seen.
Now the two guys (or four for a tag team) must get together and go "you get all your shit in on me, I'll get all my shit in on you and one of us goes over". It doesn't make for compelling storylines, it makes for a predictable and stale contest. Because you always know what coming, when it's coming and that one of the two are going to win. You don't need to hit your signature moves every, fucking, time. Sometimes it's makes for a great story because wrestler X can always cut wrestler Y out from hitting the big move.
Have A Nice Day!

User avatar
Thelone
Posts: 80
Joined: Jul 9th, '19, 16:22
Favorite Wrestler: MJF

Re: AEW Dynamite and NXT on USA viewership continues its week to week decline

Post by Thelone » Oct 22nd, '19, 09:33

It's more that a wrestling-heavy wrestling show isn't going to attract much more than the hardcore fans. The in-ring (as in the MOVEZ) really isn't an issue in today's pro wrestling, but storytelling/character building very much are major ones. AEW is acting like non-wrestling segments are the plague (except when they involve an EVP of course), but you need puff pieces/interviews/promos to introduce and build characters. Like why should I care about Britt Baker or Riho or Adam Page or ANYONE on that damn show? They can do nice packages for Cody and Brandi, so do them for your underneath guys/girls as well, so we might give a shit about the chase/what they're going through.

NXT used to be great at having both, then it became more and more a super-indy (when Owens/Itami/Balor came in) and lost it.

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 23965
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: AEW Dynamite and NXT on USA viewership continues its week to week decline

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 22nd, '19, 17:44

XIV wrote:
Oct 22nd, '19, 05:53
Let me tell you what's diappointing about AEW/NXT

They (along with alot of the indy show bullshit) has desensitised wrestling fans. Because in a show where it's all superkicks and it's all about constant near falls, nobody looks good. If every match is set up to be a 20 minutes classic, no match becomes a classic, if high impact moves are being kicked out of, they no longer exist as high impact moves. AEW & NXT are both guilty of these. The art of creating a match and compelling story during the match is nearing extinction and rarely seen.
Now the two guys (or four for a tag team) must get together and go "you get all your shit in on me, I'll get all my shit in on you and one of us goes over". It doesn't make for compelling storylines, it makes for a predictable and stale contest. Because you always know what coming, when it's coming and that one of the two are going to win. You don't need to hit your signature moves every, fucking, time. Sometimes it's makes for a great story because wrestler X can always cut wrestler Y out from hitting the big move.

Can I interest you in some wXw? Or CHIKARA? Or EVOLVE?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
Bob-O
Posts: 3402
Joined: Dec 17th, '10, 06:06
Favorite Wrestler: Marty Scurll
Location: Erie, Pa
Contact:

Re: AEW Dynamite and NXT on USA viewership continues its week to week decline

Post by Bob-O » Oct 22nd, '19, 19:55

Thelone wrote:
Oct 22nd, '19, 09:33
The in-ring (as in the MOVEZ) really isn't an issue in today's pro wrestling, but storytelling/character building very much are major ones. AEW is acting like non-wrestling segments are the plague (except when they involve an EVP of course), but you need puff pieces/interviews/promos to introduce and build characters. Like why should I care about Britt Baker or Riho or Adam Page or ANYONE on that damn show?
I'll start by saying that I'm not an AEW>WWE guy. At all.

But AEW set out from the beginning to have a more sports-related product, and if that's their goal, then non-wrestling segments ARE the plague! You care, or don't care, about Britt Baker or Riho or Adam Page because you like their matches, want to see them win (or lose), and move closer to a title shot. Nobody is getting a title shot there for donning a silly mask and winning one match, and I think that's pretty cool.

They've also created a pretty interesting (to me, anyway) concept of putting plenty of non-wrestling stuff on social media/YouTube if you really want it, and you can watch at your leisure instead of being held captive to it on live tv. Don't care to look it up? I think they've done a pretty good job at making it non-essential to enjoying Dynamite without making the efforts put forth by these guys in their own development seem pointless.

After so many years (speaking for myself here) of the Raw/Smackdown/TNA/Imapct/MLW/ROH model, I've been finding AEW's take on 'a night at the matches' kind of refreshing. It actually feels like a liveNot saying they don't have stuff to work on (100% agree with Lynas on the matches), but they set out to be different, and for the modern fan I think it works. It feels like they're broadcasting a sporting event instead of an entertainment show.
Image

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 23965
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: AEW Dynamite and NXT on USA viewership continues its week to week decline

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 22nd, '19, 20:07

Bob-O wrote:
Oct 22nd, '19, 19:55
Thelone wrote:
Oct 22nd, '19, 09:33
The in-ring (as in the MOVEZ) really isn't an issue in today's pro wrestling, but storytelling/character building very much are major ones. AEW is acting like non-wrestling segments are the plague (except when they involve an EVP of course), but you need puff pieces/interviews/promos to introduce and build characters. Like why should I care about Britt Baker or Riho or Adam Page or ANYONE on that damn show?
I'll start by saying that I'm not an AEW>WWE guy. At all.

But AEW set out from the beginning to have a more sports-related product, and if that's their goal, then non-wrestling segments ARE the plague! You care, or don't care, about Britt Baker or Riho or Adam Page because you like their matches, want to see them win (or lose), and move closer to a title shot. Nobody is getting a title shot there for donning a silly mask and winning one match, and I think that's pretty cool.

They've also created a pretty interesting (to me, anyway) concept of putting plenty of non-wrestling stuff on social media/YouTube if you really want it, and you can watch at your leisure instead of being held captive to it on live tv. Don't care to look it up? I think they've done a pretty good job at making it non-essential to enjoying Dynamite without making the efforts put forth by these guys in their own development seem pointless.

After so many years (speaking for myself here) of the Raw/Smackdown/TNA/Imapct/MLW/ROH model, I've been finding AEW's take on 'a night at the matches' kind of refreshing. It actually feels like a liveNot saying they don't have stuff to work on (100% agree with Lynas on the matches), but they set out to be different, and for the modern fan I think it works. It feels like they're broadcasting a sporting event instead of an entertainment show.
There is a way to do non-wrestling segments while still having a sports-like feel. AEW seems like they're forgoing them almost entirely.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
Bob-O
Posts: 3402
Joined: Dec 17th, '10, 06:06
Favorite Wrestler: Marty Scurll
Location: Erie, Pa
Contact:

Re: AEW Dynamite and NXT on USA viewership continues its week to week decline

Post by Bob-O » Oct 22nd, '19, 22:24

Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 22nd, '19, 20:07
There is a way to do non-wrestling segments while still having a sports-like feel. AEW seems like they're forgoing them almost entirely.
Of course there is, and it's been done. There's nothing wrong with that, but there's nothing wrong with what AEW is doing on their TV either. Maybe they are blatantly avoiding non-wrestling segments, I don't think it's a problem, I think it's kinda nice. I'm far more interested in who the better man is than wondering why Mox has a chip on his shoulder or if Cody can trust MJF in a promotion where wins and losses are what matter.

You can't look at this through the eyes of somebody that knows what's going on, trying to think you know what's best for somebody that doesn't. I'm sorry, but the storyline driven stuff isn't working on a national level anymore. EVERYBODY'S ratings have shit the bed, nobody cares about it anymore. Any kind of buzz wrestling gets these days is from new fans getting passionate about the athletics of it all, and it's intriguing to me how AEW's approach is going to pan out. It's not like they DON'T do the non-wrestling stuff, they just don't do it on their wrestling show... they do it on their non-wrestling platforms. It's still there and easy to find for people that want to see it - but it's not required viewing to enjoy their program. It's a genius approach to getting the modern casual fan imo.

Most of the bitching about wrestling today is about the storylines and character development. Everyone would do it different, everyone could do it better... great matches are what most people can agree on, or at least discuss civilly without all the bitching. Is it really so stupid that the new upstart company focuses heavily on the thing everyone seems to agree on? Putting the thing that NOBODY can agree on in the back seat, keeping it as simple as possible?

Even when it comes to the devil itself, WWE, everyone shits all over everything they do - all 5 hours a week, but everyone can almost always agree that the ppv's usually deliver... why might that be?
Image

User avatar
XIV
Posts: 1141
Joined: Aug 19th, '13, 11:38
Favorite Wrestler: Mick Foley

Re: AEW Dynamite and NXT on USA viewership continues its week to week decline

Post by XIV » Oct 23rd, '19, 01:45

Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 22nd, '19, 17:44
XIV wrote:
Oct 22nd, '19, 05:53
Let me tell you what's diappointing about AEW/NXT

They (along with alot of the indy show bullshit) has desensitised wrestling fans. Because in a show where it's all superkicks and it's all about constant near falls, nobody looks good. If every match is set up to be a 20 minutes classic, no match becomes a classic, if high impact moves are being kicked out of, they no longer exist as high impact moves. AEW & NXT are both guilty of these. The art of creating a match and compelling story during the match is nearing extinction and rarely seen.
Now the two guys (or four for a tag team) must get together and go "you get all your shit in on me, I'll get all my shit in on you and one of us goes over". It doesn't make for compelling storylines, it makes for a predictable and stale contest. Because you always know what coming, when it's coming and that one of the two are going to win. You don't need to hit your signature moves every, fucking, time. Sometimes it's makes for a great story because wrestler X can always cut wrestler Y out from hitting the big move.

Can I interest you in some wXw? Or CHIKARA? Or EVOLVE?
Generally no.. and I'll tell you why.

None of those shows are presented in any way close to the level that NWA has already come in at and some of those are often implicitly involved in invisible men and bullshit spots like blow up dolls. I have no interest in any company that allows an invisible man to do anything and I've never really been drawn to any of these companies despite trying in the past.
Have A Nice Day!

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 18971
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: AEW Dynamite and NXT on USA viewership continues its week to week decline

Post by cero2k » Oct 23rd, '19, 09:17

XIV wrote:
Oct 23rd, '19, 01:45

Generally no.. and I'll tell you why.

None of those shows are presented in any way close to the level that NWA has already come in at and some of those are often implicitly involved in invisible men and bullshit spots like blow up dolls. I have no interest in any company that allows an invisible man to do anything and I've never really been drawn to any of these companies despite trying in the past.
I don't think you really know EVOLVE or wXw then, it's as straight up wrestling as you can get in the indies. You're generalizing wrestling down to Joey Janela's Spring Breaks and DDT.

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 23965
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: AEW Dynamite and NXT on USA viewership continues its week to week decline

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 23rd, '19, 11:32

cero2k wrote:
Oct 23rd, '19, 09:17
XIV wrote:
Oct 23rd, '19, 01:45

Generally no.. and I'll tell you why.

None of those shows are presented in any way close to the level that NWA has already come in at and some of those are often implicitly involved in invisible men and bullshit spots like blow up dolls. I have no interest in any company that allows an invisible man to do anything and I've never really been drawn to any of these companies despite trying in the past.
I don't think you really know EVOLVE or wXw then, it's as straight up wrestling as you can get in the indies. You're generalizing wrestling down to Joey Janela's Spring Breaks and DDT.
I mean... wXw does make use of the WWE "pretend the cameras aren't there" style of backstage presentation, which I can understand why it bothers some people. But the wrestling is almost always deadly serious aside from the rare occasion that a guest act comes in like the Anti-Fun Police and do their own sh*t.

Evolve is a iut as pure wrestling as you can get, though.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 23965
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: AEW Dynamite and NXT on USA viewership continues its week to week decline

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 23rd, '19, 11:35

I've thought a bit about yis and come tone conclusion that the "do 90% of your promos on social media" approach can work, but where AEW (and EVOLVE as well) have failed us in not showing the fans the videos/Twets/posts/whatever on the TV show and presenting them as the "news" that they are.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
XIV
Posts: 1141
Joined: Aug 19th, '13, 11:38
Favorite Wrestler: Mick Foley

Re: AEW Dynamite and NXT on USA viewership continues its week to week decline

Post by XIV » Oct 24th, '19, 11:58

Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 23rd, '19, 11:32
cero2k wrote:
Oct 23rd, '19, 09:17
XIV wrote:
Oct 23rd, '19, 01:45

Generally no.. and I'll tell you why.

None of those shows are presented in any way close to the level that NWA has already come in at and some of those are often implicitly involved in invisible men and bullshit spots like blow up dolls. I have no interest in any company that allows an invisible man to do anything and I've never really been drawn to any of these companies despite trying in the past.
I don't think you really know EVOLVE or wXw then, it's as straight up wrestling as you can get in the indies. You're generalizing wrestling down to Joey Janela's Spring Breaks and DDT.
I mean... wXw does make use of the WWE "pretend the cameras aren't there" style of backstage presentation, which I can understand why it bothers some people. But the wrestling is almost always deadly serious aside from the rare occasion that a guest act comes in like the Anti-Fun Police and do their own sh*t.

Evolve is a iut as pure wrestling as you can get, though.
Okay, I was guilt of throwing everyone under an umbrella, and EVOLVE is probably the better of the examples here.

The studio approach has me hooked at the moment and I'm already waiting for the next episode.

There's so much WWE or NXT TV on each week that you don't get a chance to miss it or look forward to something, because it's everywhere and theres hours of it available.

AEW does not have my attention. Cody, Dustin, MJF (who is a fucking megastar) & Jericho aside, I don't hold alot of enjoyment for anything that show puts on. I dislike Omega greatly and I haven't enjoyed a Bucks match in 10+ years.

This NWA resurgence following on from the whole Ten Pounds of Gold thing is just that alternative I want to watch each week. I don't get a lot of hours to dedicate to wrestling these days, so a 50 minute show that leaves me wanting more is the perfect way of grabbing me. When NWA is on, I''m not on my phone, I'm not taking my eyes off it. NWA will not do more business that AEW or NXT at this time, but its got potential. (nearly 500,00 views on Youtube alone per episode isn't exactly a bad number though). There's no commercial breaks which makes it even better... (those jokey commercials are just hilarious). It's grown men wrestling and making everything feel prestigious, it genuinely feels that things can come out of nowhere again, it's unpredictable and most of all it's enjoyable. I go back to my original point on NWA.... I'll take my wrestling from the studio from now on.
Have A Nice Day!

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 23965
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: AEW Dynamite and NXT on USA viewership continues its week to week decline

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 24th, '19, 13:08

Bob-O wrote:
Oct 22nd, '19, 22:24
Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 22nd, '19, 20:07
There is a way to do non-wrestling segments while still having a sports-like feel. AEW seems like they're forgoing them almost entirely.
Of course there is, and it's been done. There's nothing wrong with that, but there's nothing wrong with what AEW is doing on their TV either. Maybe they are blatantly avoiding non-wrestling segments, I don't think it's a problem, I think it's kinda nice. I'm far more interested in who the better man is than wondering why Mox has a chip on his shoulder or if Cody can trust MJF in a promotion where wins and losses are what matter.

You can't look at this through the eyes of somebody that knows what's going on, trying to think you know what's best for somebody that doesn't. I'm sorry, but the storyline driven stuff isn't working on a national level anymore. EVERYBODY'S ratings have shit the bed, nobody cares about it anymore. Any kind of buzz wrestling gets these days is from new fans getting passionate about the athletics of it all, and it's intriguing to me how AEW's approach is going to pan out. It's not like they DON'T do the non-wrestling stuff, they just don't do it on their wrestling show... they do it on their non-wrestling platforms. It's still there and easy to find for people that want to see it - but it's not required viewing to enjoy their program. It's a genius approach to getting the modern casual fan imo.

Most of the bitching about wrestling today is about the storylines and character development. Everyone would do it different, everyone could do it better... great matches are what most people can agree on, or at least discuss civilly without all the bitching. Is it really so stupid that the new upstart company focuses heavily on the thing everyone seems to agree on? Putting the thing that NOBODY can agree on in the back seat, keeping it as simple as possible?

Even when it comes to the devil itself, WWE, everyone shits all over everything they do - all 5 hours a week, but everyone can almost always agree that the ppv's usually deliver... why might that be?
Storylines aren't working because no one on a national scale is doing a good job with them. You're right that people crap on WWE's, but look at the WWE product that gets the most praise: NXT. It's no coincidence that it's also the one with the best storylines. 205 Libe has more great matches on a weekly and yearly basis than NXT, and with the same theoretical distribution. If great matches were all that mattered, 205 Live would be the top of the game.

And the idea that WWE ppvs always deliver is far from universal, or even a majority opinion.
It's probably personalities that push business more than anything else over the past few years (Elite, Becky, Sasha, Naito, WALTER, and on a smaller scale Bobby Gunns, David Starr, El Phantasmo, Dalton Castle, Ilja Dragunov, Tessa, Aldis). And by not telling us why Mox has a chip on his shoulder AEW is missing out on the chance to make him one or those personalities. Storylines help coax personalities out of people and put those personalities in a position to shine.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
Thelone
Posts: 80
Joined: Jul 9th, '19, 16:22
Favorite Wrestler: MJF

Re: AEW Dynamite and NXT on USA viewership continues its week to week decline

Post by Thelone » Oct 25th, '19, 09:11

Bob-O wrote:
Oct 22nd, '19, 19:55
But AEW set out from the beginning to have a more sports-related product, and if that's their goal, then non-wrestling segments ARE the plague! You care, or don't care, about Britt Baker or Riho or Adam Page because you like their matches, want to see them win (or lose), and move closer to a title shot. Nobody is getting a title shot there for donning a silly mask and winning one match, and I think that's pretty cool.
You can be more sport-centered and still do promos/vignettes/video packages/whatever, they just need to be about competition or something close to it, not cuckolding or potted plants or whatever else.

I don't care about Baker or Riho or Page not because they have crappy matches, but because they're bland as hell. Like, do something with Baker that would make "being a dentist" relevant in any capacity. She could be an inspirational figure or a condescending bitch, JUST PICK ONE AND ROLL WITH IT.
They've also created a pretty interesting (to me, anyway) concept of putting plenty of non-wrestling stuff on social media/YouTube if you really want it, and you can watch at your leisure instead of being held captive to it on live tv. Don't care to look it up? I think they've done a pretty good job at making it non-essential to enjoying Dynamite without making the efforts put forth by these guys in their own development seem pointless.
I get why they don't want to do a lot of backstage stuff/video packages because they don't want to have the crowd watch the tron for a ridiculous amount of time and get their money's worth, but I don't think it would hurt to have short packages/interviews, even if it's just "here's a quick look at wrestler X" or "let's hear what wrestler Y has to say after his/her win/loss earlier tonight"
After so many years (speaking for myself here) of the Raw/Smackdown/TNA/Imapct/MLW/ROH model, I've been finding AEW's take on 'a night at the matches' kind of refreshing. It actually feels like a liveNot saying they don't have stuff to work on (100% agree with Lynas on the matches), but they set out to be different, and for the modern fan I think it works. It feels like they're broadcasting a sporting event instead of an entertainment show.
It's what PPVs are really and even then, you get a video package before the more important matches to summarize why those guys are fighting. I don't think anyone is clamoring for boring 20-minute promos and ridiculousness, just something to sink their teeth into that isn't "we're having great matches", because it really doesn't set you apart anymore and might get repetitive after what I've read so far (especially the tag division, which is mostly "guys doing movez with no rhyme or reason until the finish").

User avatar
Bob-O
Posts: 3402
Joined: Dec 17th, '10, 06:06
Favorite Wrestler: Marty Scurll
Location: Erie, Pa
Contact:

Re: AEW Dynamite and NXT on USA viewership continues its week to week decline

Post by Bob-O » Oct 27th, '19, 09:55

Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 24th, '19, 13:08
Storylines help coax personalities out of people and put those personalities in a position to shine.
You're right, and I think they're getting to that. Dark Order got a video package this week.

What I think they're doing, what...? 4 shows in now? I think they're keeping things as simple as possible so that they can get an idea of what people want and make good decisions in moving forward. The little commitments they've made being enough to firmly establish guys like Cody, Jericho/Inner Circle... but focusing on matches/star power for the rest right now while they figure out directions to take with these guys based off of the responses they get week to week.

I think this is what the tag tournament was designed to do, and I think it's working. I think that time given to Dark Order video packages and Jericho/Cody will shift to establish others, but I'm not at all opposed to the amount of time non-wrestling is given on the show.
Thelone wrote:
Oct 25th, '19, 09:11
I get why they don't want to do a lot of backstage stuff/video packages because they don't want to have the crowd watch the tron for a ridiculous amount of time and get their money's worth,

Absolutely! Dark Order's video package on Wednesday ran during SCU's entrance. They have ways around it, but right now I think it's a mix of not giving the live crowd a chance to cool off and not really knowing what direction they're taking with much of the roster.

I will say that of all the established guys they have, they need to get Moxley a microphone asap. Even if it's just to ramble about whatever, I'll admit the lack of direction/establishment is hurting him. The rest of the guys acts are designed for the indies, there is no depth, just enough to know everything you need to know out the gate. I'd want to kind of gauge reception before moving forward too...
Image

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 23965
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: AEW Dynamite and NXT on USA viewership continues its week to week decline

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 27th, '19, 13:11

Bob-O wrote:
Oct 27th, '19, 09:55
Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 24th, '19, 13:08
Storylines help coax personalities out of people and put those personalities in a position to shine.
You're right, and I think they're getting to that. Dark Order got a video package this week.
A video package that told us NOTHING about them. It's been MONTHS and we still don't know why they targeted Best Friends, or any understanding of their characters.

What I think they're doing, what...? 4 shows in now? I think they're keeping things as simple as possible so that they can get an idea of what people want and make good decisions in moving forward. The little commitments they've made being enough to firmly establish guys like Cody, Jericho/Inner Circle... but focusing on matches/star power for the rest right now while they figure out directions to take with these guys based off of the responses they get week to week.

I think this is what the tag tournament was designed to do, and I think it's working. I think that time given to Dark Order video packages and Jericho/Cody will shift to establish others, but I'm not at all opposed to the amount of time non-wrestling is given on the show.[/quote]
This ignores much evidence to the contrary, including doing counter-intuitive things like making the Lucha Bros. clear heels.
But if this is what they're doing it's still a mistake, as this criticism has not been limited to their TV. The biggest knock on AEW storytelling over the past six months has been "who is Adam Page/Riho and why am I supposed to care about him/her?" To have completely failed to address this in your first month on TV while still pushing Page/Riho so hard is ridiculous.

And there are some people- and Moxley and Omega are chief among them- that will be SOOOO critical to AEW's success that not doing everything you can to make the audience care about them right away is borderline suicidal.

Bob-O wrote:
Oct 27th, '19, 09:55
I will say that of all the established guys they have, they need to get Moxley a microphone asap. Even if it's just to ramble about whatever, I'll admit the lack of direction/establishment is hurting him. The rest of the guys acts are designed for the indies, there is no depth, just enough to know everything you need to know out the gate. I'd want to kind of gauge reception before moving forward too...
But there IS depth to Kenny Omega and PAC and Daniels, and there can be depth to Nyla Rose or Adam Page or Riho or the Lucha Bros. The problem is that AEW has taken almost no steps to provide that depth. And it's not even like it's that hard. Jericho got his character over in one promo.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
Bob-O
Posts: 3402
Joined: Dec 17th, '10, 06:06
Favorite Wrestler: Marty Scurll
Location: Erie, Pa
Contact:

Re: AEW Dynamite and NXT on USA viewership continues its week to week decline

Post by Bob-O » Oct 28th, '19, 04:42

Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests