WOTW: Kayfabe breach

All Time Greatest, Worst, Sickest, Weirdest, Funniest...you get the idea.
cero2k
Site Admin

WOTW: Kayfabe breach

Post by cero2k » May 27th, '11, 13:27

what has been or who has done the worst of the worst kayfabe breaches in wrestling history??

badnewzxl

Re: WOTW: Kayfabe breach

Post by badnewzxl » May 27th, '11, 13:38

cero2k wrote:what has been or who has done the worst of the worst kayfabe breaches in wrestling history??
Vince Russo: the living embodiment of Kayfabe Breaching...

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 27th, '11, 13:46

any time in general someone says segment or promo
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » May 27th, '11, 14:08

KILLdozer wrote:any time in general someone says segment or promo
Dixie Carter coming out saying she's not out to cut a promo yet she does just that. =))

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 27th, '11, 14:21

never been a fan of folks callin hogan terry either

Lynas
Future Endeavored

Post by Lynas » May 27th, '11, 14:27

TNA in General..

Worst Kayfabe breach in last 12 months... goes to Hulk Hogan... sitting with Mr. Anderson..

"C'mon Anderson, you've gotta pick a side everybody is out to get you, the heels, the babyfaces, everybody..."

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 27th, '11, 14:31

yea that came to mind too,so did dixies little bit about the promo

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » May 27th, '11, 14:52

Lynas wrote:Worst Kayfabe breach in last 12 months... goes to Hulk Hogan... sitting with Mr. Anderson..

"C'mon Anderson, you've gotta pick a side everybody is out to get you, the heels, the babyfaces, everybody..."
I forgot about that one....Terry is a douche. :p

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 27th, '11, 15:21

KILLdozer wrote:any time in general someone says segment or promo
I disagree. These are words that have meanings that make sense in a kayfabe setting as well. A TV show is still a TV show. Wrestling has runsheets (even Jim Cornette will use that word on the air), which tell you how much time each segment is allotted.

The term promo comes from the fact that you are promoting a match in an attempt to get people to pay to see it, which is just as much a kayfabe endeavor as a non-kayfabe one.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 27th, '11, 15:22

I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet: The Nash & Goldberg promos.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » May 27th, '11, 20:49

Big Red Machine wrote:I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet: The Nash & Goldberg promos.
I fold that in with the whole Vince Russo thing....

kirbs2002

Post by kirbs2002 » May 27th, '11, 21:16

The MSG Curtain Call
Reality TV is faker than "fake" wrestling!

"The views that I'm about to express are not necessarily those of anyone else but myself, but they ought to be and, in fact, they probably are"

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » May 27th, '11, 21:37

the montreal screwjob

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 28th, '11, 00:04

badnewzxl wrote:the montreal screwjob
This is an interesting one. The Screwjob now IS kayfabe. It wasn't breaking kayfabe when it happened because that is what happened. There was a dirty finish. Vince wanted the belt off of Bret, so he had Hebner screw him. All of these are kayfabe facts, and were kayfabe facts at the time.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 28th, '11, 00:05

kirbs2002 wrote:The MSG Curtain Call
Bad? Yes. But that was at a house show, and didn't expose the business in the same way that saying things like heel and babyface and talking about turning from one to the other does.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » May 28th, '11, 00:56

Big Red Machine wrote:
This is an interesting one. The Screwjob now IS kayfabe. It wasn't breaking kayfabe when it happened because that is what happened. There was a dirty finish. Vince wanted the belt off of Bret, so he had Hebner screw him. All of these are kayfabe facts, and were kayfabe facts at the time.
I always thought that doing a work was part of following kayfabe; so shooting would be a breach of said kayfabe. what am I missing here?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 28th, '11, 02:08

badnewzxl wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
I always thought that doing a work was part of following kayfabe; so shooting would be a breach of said kayfabe. what am I missing here?
It depends how you view/define kayfabe. The Screwjob itself (the physical actions that took place and motivations behind them) did not expose the business in any way. Vince had the Screwjob happen so that Bret wouldn't take the WWF Title with him to WCW. This is statement is kayfabe correct.

IMO, if something happens on the air, it becomes part of kayfabe as a continuity, whether it was a work or not, it still happened. By your definition, a rushed finish is a breach of kayfabe.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » May 28th, '11, 11:21

Big Red Machine wrote:
IMO, if something happens on the air, it becomes part of kayfabe as a continuity, whether it was a work or not, it still happened. By your definition, a rushed finish is a breach of kayfabe.
If that's the case, then Kayfabe means nothing. If EVERYTHING that happens on air becomes kayfabe, then a breach would never exist; everything we mentioned was done on a show, so then (according to your definition) isn't a breach of kayfabe. the Nash/Goldberg interviews, the Hogan Anderson thing, etc. were all done on tv, as a part of the show.

If said rushed finish involved changing the outcome of the match from what was previously planned (not like Austin&Owen when Austin got hurt; like the Road Warriors when they'd change the finish of their matches and win when they weren't supposed to), I'd call it a shoot for sure. But I always figured you're breaking kayfabe when you shoot. I see what you're saying now tho (I think): Kayfabe is all about staying in character and maintaining the illusion that what's going on is real; but then all these previous posts are justified under your own definition what is/becomes kayfabe....

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 28th, '11, 21:09

badnewzxl wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
If that's the case, then Kayfabe means nothing. If EVERYTHING that happens on air becomes kayfabe, then a breach would never exist; everything we mentioned was done on a show, so then (according to your definition) isn't a breach of kayfabe. the Nash/Goldberg interviews, the Hogan Anderson thing, etc. were all done on tv, as a part of the show.

If said rushed finish involved changing the outcome of the match from what was previously planned (not like Austin&Owen when Austin got hurt; like the Road Warriors when they'd change the finish of their matches and win when they weren't supposed to), I'd call it a shoot for sure. But I always figured you're breaking kayfabe when you shoot. I see what you're saying now tho (I think): Kayfabe is all about staying in character and maintaining the illusion that what's going on is real; but then all these previous posts are justified under your own definition what is/becomes kayfabe....
But we don't know that they are shooting. The difference between the Nash-Goldberg promos and other Russo-esque stuff and the Screwjob is that the Screwjob itself makes sense within kayfabe (in this case meaning that wrestling is scripted, rather than 100% real). Having Goldberg and Nash and Hogan talk about being a heel, and being told that they were turning heel, but not wanting to doesn't make any sense within the world of kayfabe.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » May 30th, '11, 12:51

Big Red Machine wrote:
badnewzxl wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:

I see what you're saying now; it'd be like if the guy in the Mickey Mouse costume at Disney World took his head off and smoked a cig infront of the patrons; not just a deviation from the script. Gotcha.

But we don't know that they are shooting. The difference between the Nash-Goldberg promos and other Russo-esque stuff and the Screwjob is that the Screwjob itself makes sense within kayfabe (in this case meaning that wrestling is scripted, rather than 100% real). Having Goldberg and Nash and Hogan talk about being a heel, and being told that they were turning heel, but not wanting to doesn't make any sense within the world of kayfabe.