Sting's New Gimmick!!! Yay or Nay???

Tell it to the world!!
SONICdopeFRESH

Re: Sting's New Gimmick!!! Yay or Nay???

Post by SONICdopeFRESH » Jul 18th, '11, 09:07

Big Red Machine wrote:Yes, but the difference was that back then, he could actually take a bump, and put up a fiery babyface fight! Now, he can't take a damn bump, and looks like he doesn't even care.
Seems you're saying that maybe off age, because I see a Sting that can take a bump, and deliver a fight. Just not the same fight that had a lot of aerial variety & suplex variation in it. Strike based & ground based works.
Booker T: "HIP BONE CONNECTED TO THE LEG BONE!!!" ...... Cole: "WHAAAAT?"

SONICdopeFRESH

Post by SONICdopeFRESH » Jul 18th, '11, 09:15

Rabid619 wrote:Sting doesnt need to be a 10 time TNA Champion. Right now thats like saying you're the smartest idiot. I had another analogy to use but im trying to make a point, not trying to put people down. Sting is a 4 time champion. To be a 10 time champion he would need to be around probably another 5 or 6 years at least unless they play hot potato with that belt. Sting has accomplished so much, he's won the belt everywhere he's been. Enough is enough, i'd rather see Mr Anderson as the champion then Sting especially with this rip off Joker gimmick. I see it as an insult to someone who played Joker perfectly and Sting is trying to ruin it. All Sting has are Clotheslines, Stinger Splash, Scorpion Death Drop & Scorpion Death Lock. He hasn't been in a good main event type match in years. 52 YEARS OLD Enough of this old fart TNA, bring on the young ins before they say f*ck this i'll go somewhere i'll be appreciated.
That OBVIOUSLY was an exaggeration due to me being a giant Sting fan. WHY, or HOW could he even become a 10 time TNA champion, when he will hold onto this reign for about the next year or so, thus becoming the greatest champion ever, and then lose the belt, & go on like 1 more final run that surpasses this year reign, thus making him the greatest champion ever... Come on now.

And you're STILL watching TNA then, right? So, Sting being champion is working. Obviously. Because the people that do NOT like the situation, could make a bigger difference if they tune out during his matches. If they see say 500,000 people tune off during his title segments, then MAYBE they'd put it on a new guy. BUT, instead, the people that don't like it, only satisfy the Stingers like myself, and watch to complain. See, TNA doesn't see this. They just see +1 on the viewer board. Now, if you tune off for him, they'' see that, rather than tuning in to drop 2 cents... My point being, the whole Sting being 52 has NOTHING to do with it, because he's put as many viewers on TNA as did someone half his age... And even more. Even despite those that think somehow miraculously Dixie Carter will stumble upon & take to heart their comments.

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » Jul 18th, '11, 09:18

SONICdopeFRESH wrote: And you're STILL watching TNA then, right? So, Sting being champion is working. Obviously.
Not really, i've only watched Impact once in the past month. I watched Destination X because Sting wasnt on the card. If he wants to make his sporadic appearances, fine but he doesnt deserve yet another title reign.

SONICdopeFRESH

Post by SONICdopeFRESH » Jul 18th, '11, 09:24

Big Red Machine wrote: Sting doesn't wrestle every week.

And when Taker wrestles... it is always GOOD. With Sting... rarely. I would rather see Sting in one great match a year than in the 50 mediocre or bad matches he puts on. Just because the Honkytonk Man or the Iron Sheik or whoever wrestles on indy shows every week doesn't mean that they aren't a shell of their former selves in the ring. Same with Sting. When Taker wrestles, he still looks like Taker.
Whether he only goes for 5 minutes, or 15, he is out there weekly in that ring. Taker doesn't look like Taker. He looks like a man with bad hips that needs to sit. Can't perform half of his moves properly that made him a legend. In fact, the ONLY reason why people still remotely like Taker is because he still can dive over the ropes... barely. And guarantee if he were to wrestle consistently, he wouldn't be able to. Oh, "Mr. let me sit at home, nursing my wounds, eating milk & cookies." Instead of getting his butt out there, and duking it out. Like Sting. Retire then. If taker CAN'T go, retire. Simple. Not fair to the guys who nip & tuck everyday, do be outshined at WM, because some old man who had his share of manias can't call it quits. Why did Del Rio & Edge take the backdoor to taker v. HHH? because it included 2 old men who can't go year round, so they won't step out of the spotlight. yet, rather throw themselves in it to delay pumping up the new star, just to hog the spotlight one more time... No. They get there butt out there, and go full force, until they retire. Hell, look at Edge. Earned my infinite respect, because he went full force until he had to retire due to injury. Pretty sure if he would've played the Taker approach, & wrestled onced a year from say 05-09, he'd still be able to do that today. But no, he went, and did his thing. And now, has stayed away completely. Even HBK. He has stayed away because he can't do it without suffer anymore. He ain't hogging anyone's spotlight. Have Taker lose the dumb streak, and get it done with. Taker's career needs to R.I.P.

SONICdopeFRESH

Post by SONICdopeFRESH » Jul 18th, '11, 09:25

Rabid619 wrote:
SONICdopeFRESH wrote: And you're STILL watching TNA then, right? So, Sting being champion is working. Obviously.
Not really, i've only watched Impact once in the past month. I watched Destination X because Sting wasnt on the card. If he wants to make his sporadic appearances, fine but he doesnt deserve yet another title reign.
Well then how do you know all of this? You gotta tune in to know. You must be watching something. Because you can't speak of something you don't see when it comes to wrestling. Unless, you're speaking of maybe pre say the last 4-5 months worth of Sting?

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jul 18th, '11, 09:43

Rabid619 wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:And when Taker wrestles... it is always GOOD. With Sting... rarely. I would rather see Sting in one great match a year than in the 50 mediocre or bad matches he puts on. Just because the Honkytonk Man or the Iron Sheik or whoever wrestles on indy shows every week doesn't mean that they aren't a shell of their former selves in the ring. Same with Sting. When Taker wrestles, he still looks like Taker.
Takers match @ WM 27 wasn't that good though. The whole thing took so long because they had to catch their breaths so often. There wasn't as much psychology as much as just being slow. Taker saves his body for one match a year now it seems and this time it wasnt so great.
Yeah; HHH v. Taker was the most agonizing match I've ever had to watch. At almost every point in it, there's NOTHING going on. There wasn't a two minute stretch where action was continuous. The match was simply overhyped, overdone, and overrated is EVERY way. Taker could have done better in there against someone else. I feel like HHH just made that match so that HE could be at WM.

As far as Sting goes, his matches ARE rarely any good nowadays, but at least he competes more than a handful of times a year. His new gimmick is stupid as hell, tho. With that being said, now that he has the title back, shouldn't he return to normal?

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jul 18th, '11, 09:51

SONICdopeFRESH wrote:
Rabid619 wrote:
Well then how do you know all of this? You gotta tune in to know. You must be watching something. Because you can't speak of something you don't see when it comes to wrestling. Unless, you're speaking of maybe pre say the last 4-5 months worth of Sting?
good question. Plus, Sting has competed just as frequently as every other TNA talent since he returned this year. He's been at every PPV (except Destination X) and competed at least twice on the impacts between the ppv's. They only guys who compete more than him are the guys who NEED to (AJ, Gunner, Crimson, Roode, Storm, Ray, Abyss, etc). Sting's at least appeared on every episode of the show, so sporadic def does not apply. His new gimmick does suck, but it's only been a month. Before he lost the title, Sting was doing a pretty good job holding down the top spot....

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jul 18th, '11, 09:54

Bob-O wrote:Sting's in GREAT shape!

....for a 52 year old man. Comparatively, The Undertaker, Mick Foley and Steve Austin are 46. One Man Gang is 51. Kevin Nash is 52. Brett Hart is 54. Hulk Hogan, Ted DiBiase and Roddy Piper are 57. Rick Steamboat is 58. Ric Flair is 62.

All things considered, Stinger's not doing so bad for his age - but it doesn't change a thing. I think it's more than obvious in his matches that he can't physically keep up, and that's FINE - HE'S 52 YEARS OLD. Now is NOT the time to revamp his character. NOW is not the time to "freshen up" his image.

If they thought a change was ABSOLUTELY necessary, they should have taken the nostalgia route that WWE likes to go. They painstakingly dressed Anderson up in the oldshcool Stinger get-up, why not let the man himself go back to that for old time's sake. The actual gimmick itself isn't that far off of the Joker one they've got him in now!
WOW! I thought Taker was the same age as Sting!

SONICdopeFRESH

Post by SONICdopeFRESH » Jul 18th, '11, 09:57

badnewzxl wrote: good question. Plus, Sting has competed just as frequently as every other TNA talent since he returned this year. He's been at every PPV (except Destination X) and competed at least twice on the impacts between the ppv's. They only guys who compete more than him are the guys who NEED to (AJ, Gunner, Crimson, Roode, Storm, Ray, Abyss, etc). Sting's at least appeared on every episode of the show, so sporadic def does not apply. His new gimmick does suck, but it's only been a month. Before he lost the title, Sting was doing a pretty good job holding down the top spot....
Basedgod!!!! I gotta ^:)^ ^:)^ you. I agree. And as far as the gimmick, I'm pretty sure it wasn't his idea. Heck, without Hall pitching the crow, & who,ever pitching the joker, Sting would prob still be surfing. He's doing a damn good job though.

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jul 18th, '11, 10:04

SONICdopeFRESH wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: Sting doesn't wrestle every week.

And when Taker wrestles... it is always GOOD. With Sting... rarely. I would rather see Sting in one great match a year than in the 50 mediocre or bad matches he puts on. Just because the Honkytonk Man or the Iron Sheik or whoever wrestles on indy shows every week doesn't mean that they aren't a shell of their former selves in the ring. Same with Sting. When Taker wrestles, he still looks like Taker.
Whether he only goes for 5 minutes, or 15, he is out there weekly in that ring. Taker doesn't look like Taker. He looks like a man with bad hips that needs to sit. Can't perform half of his moves properly that made him a legend. In fact, the ONLY reason why people still remotely like Taker is because he still can dive over the ropes... barely. And guarantee if he were to wrestle consistently, he wouldn't be able to. Oh, "Mr. let me sit at home, nursing my wounds, eating milk & cookies." Instead of getting his butt out there, and duking it out. Like Sting. Retire then. If taker CAN'T go, retire. Simple. Not fair to the guys who nip & tuck everyday, do be outshined at WM, because some old man who had his share of manias can't call it quits. Why did Del Rio & Edge take the backdoor to taker v. HHH? because it included 2 old men who can't go year round, so they won't step out of the spotlight. yet, rather throw themselves in it to delay pumping up the new star, just to hog the spotlight one more time... No. They get there butt out there, and go full force, until they retire. Hell, look at Edge. Earned my infinite respect, because he went full force until he had to retire due to injury. Pretty sure if he would've played the Taker approach, & wrestled onced a year from say 05-09, he'd still be able to do that today. But no, he went, and did his thing. And now, has stayed away completely. Even HBK. He has stayed away because he can't do it without suffer anymore. He ain't hogging anyone's spotlight. Have Taker lose the dumb streak, and get it done with. Taker's career needs to R.I.P.
I agree about Taker & HHH match at Mania. Esp since both guys are supposedly so involved in developing new talent now, you'd think they would have pushed to put the two legends against two up and comers at mania; foster the guys who're gonna be there. Instead, they had a Hogan-esque moment of egotism where they felt their match was the only one that could sell WM.

I gotta disagree about Edge bc he didn't realize the extent of his injuries all those years ago. As soon as he got the news, he retired. Not saying he isn't great, but the fact he went full throttle all the way to the end is just a coincidence. I'm sure if they would have told him in 05 that he'd need to retire by this year, he would have taken it easier in order to prolong his career/life as a healthy human being. Not implying that he's a chump or anything; but c'mon, who wouldn't try to look after themselves when they know they're at risk?

kiel297

Post by kiel297 » Jul 18th, '11, 10:42

I think that with HHH vs Taker it wasn't that they needed their egos stroking as much as it was Triple H wanted his final moment. Let's face it, we'll be lucky if we see Triple H in the ring again now, because he's a backstage guy now. Personally, I think Triple H is one of the guys that deserved a final big moment, and I'm glad he got it.

There are a few guys who I think deserve one more big moment.
The Undertaker (although he needs to make his soon),
Kane deserves one more than most. That man's done nothing but work his ass off for WWE since he debuted. Even now, he's in pain when he works, you can see that it hurts for him to deliver a simple chokeslam, but he goes out there week after week and he gives it his all. The day Kane retires, he had better get a fucking good send-off.

Sting, he needs to just bow out quietly now. He's gone past the point of having a big moment. His presence in a wrestling ring just pisses most people off now because he doesn't need it, and because he can't go at the same level as he used because of his age. If there's one thing I hate it's a wrestler who doesn't know when his time is up (I'm looking at you Flair, Hogan, AND Sting).

SONICdopeFRESH

Post by SONICdopeFRESH » Jul 18th, '11, 11:11

badnewzxl wrote: I gotta disagree about Edge bc he didn't realize the extent of his injuries all those years ago. As soon as he got the news, he retired. Not saying he isn't great, but the fact he went full throttle all the way to the end is just a coincidence. I'm sure if they would have told him in 05 that he'd need to retire by this year, he would have taken it easier in order to prolong his career/life as a healthy human being. Not implying that he's a chump or anything; but c'mon, who wouldn't try to look after themselves when they know they're at risk?
I think Edge knew before the announcement that his neck & injuries would catch up. I mean I think it was moreso them saying "Alright one more botch and you could be paralyzed, or death." is what may have stopped him. I think he may have just been able to work through it if it nagged, but knowing your life is at stake makes the diff. He never let it slow him down one bit. Can't replace that.

SONICdopeFRESH

Post by SONICdopeFRESH » Jul 18th, '11, 11:22

kiel297 wrote:I think that with HHH vs Taker it wasn't that they needed their egos stroking as much as it was Triple H wanted his final moment. Let's face it, we'll be lucky if we see Triple H in the ring again now, because he's a backstage guy now. Personally, I think Triple H is one of the guys that deserved a final big moment, and I'm glad he got it.

There are a few guys who I think deserve one more big moment.
The Undertaker (although he needs to make his soon),
Kane deserves one more than most. That man's done nothing but work his a** off for WWE since he debuted. Even now, he's in pain when he works, you can see that it hurts for him to deliver a simple chokeslam, but he goes out there week after week and he gives it his all. The day Kane retires, he had better get a f***ing good send-off.

Sting, he needs to just bow out quietly now. He's gone past the point of having a big moment. His presence in a wrestling ring just pisses most people off now because he doesn't need it, and because he can't go at the same level as he used because of his age. If there's one thing I hate it's a wrestler who doesn't know when his time is up (I'm looking at you Flair, Hogan, AND Sting).
I'll agree with you for HHH, as he did deserve a big moment before... Not just leaving and not getting the final roar. And I will agree 100% about Kane...

BUT, I can't agree for Sting. People simply look at his age. They say ah he's 52 he needs to retire he can't go like he USED to... Sting was (rip me a new 1 for this, I don't care) the BEST American wrestler ever in his prime (late 80's to late 90's)... OF COURSE he won't be able to jump from 1 ring to another (yes, he did that). Of course he won't be able to hold Vader in the air for 3-4 seconds anymore. BUT, the man can put on a good match still & uses his ability still left in a good manner. Does Kane put on like he used to? No. So why shouldn't he hang it up too? Does big Show? No. People are stuck on 52, and not actually watching him. His last 4-5 months, he's been solid. Not to mention, he's in good shape for 52 (anybody that argues, probably doesn't have a developed chest nor definition left in their flabby arms). Talkin about he wears a shirt because he's fat (and I don't mean you Kiel)... Yet the ppl that say it are scrawny teens or 300lbs whales... Looks lean to me. The ONLY thing ppl have is "he doesn't bring it like he could 20 years ago... Or he's 52." He can still wrestle though. I say keep on.

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » Jul 18th, '11, 11:49

SONICdopeFRESH wrote: Does Kane put on like he used to? No. So why shouldn't he hang it up too? Does big Show? No. People are stuck on 52, and not actually watching him. His last 4-5 months, he's been solid. Not to mention, he's in good shape for 52 (anybody that argues, probably doesn't have a developed chest nor definition left in their flabby arms). Talkin about he wears a shirt because he's fat (and I don't mean you Kiel)... Yet the ppl that say it are scrawny teens or 300lbs whales... Looks lean to me. The ONLY thing ppl have is "he doesn't bring it like he could 20 years ago... Or he's 52." He can still wrestle though. I say keep on.
Big Show & more so Kane work every week without being in the main event or holding the title. Show hasnt had a world title in almost 5 years now while Kane had a title reign last year. Kane puts over the younger guys weekly and doesnt hog the spotlight either.

kiel297

Post by kiel297 » Jul 18th, '11, 12:22

Rabid619 wrote:
SONICdopeFRESH wrote: Does Kane put on like he used to? No. So why shouldn't he hang it up too? Does big Show? No. People are stuck on 52, and not actually watching him. His last 4-5 months, he's been solid. Not to mention, he's in good shape for 52 (anybody that argues, probably doesn't have a developed chest nor definition left in their flabby arms). Talkin about he wears a shirt because he's fat (and I don't mean you Kiel)... Yet the ppl that say it are scrawny teens or 300lbs whales... Looks lean to me. The ONLY thing ppl have is "he doesn't bring it like he could 20 years ago... Or he's 52." He can still wrestle though. I say keep on.
Big Show & more so Kane work every week without being in the main event or holding the title. Show hasnt had a world title in almost 5 years now while Kane had a title reign last year. Kane puts over the younger guys weekly and doesnt hog the spotlight either.
This. Big Show at this point knows that his place in WWE is to have minor fueds and Kane (other than the OCCIASIONAL main event run) has taken his place putting over the younger stars. Sting is hogging the main event picture and putting over nobody but himself and those who don't need it.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 18th, '11, 12:27

kiel297 wrote:
This. Big Show at this point knows that his place in WWE is to have minor fueds and Kane (other than the OCCIASIONAL main event run) has taken his place putting over the younger stars.
tell that to the straightedge society

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 18th, '11, 12:34

cero2k wrote:
kiel297 wrote:
This. Big Show at this point knows that his place in WWE is to have minor fueds and Kane (other than the OCCIASIONAL main event run) has taken his place putting over the younger stars.
this again? haha and cody rhodes,,and someone else whose usually brought up when we talk about this but i cant remember,,,I wanna say McIntyre but not sure..Why would you hve booked him like that? its the exact opposite of what shouldve been,,,Big monster face against the new rising group,,,so have the group look like a tough collective unit,,,not totally ruined
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 18th, '11, 12:42

SONICdopeFRESH wrote: And as far as the gimmick, I'm pretty sure it wasn't his idea.
100% irrelevant. We all know that Sting can veto any gimmick he wants to.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 18th, '11, 13:08

SONICdopeFRESH wrote:

BUT, I can't agree for Sting. People simply look at his age. They say ah he's 52 he needs to retire he can't go like he USED to... Sting was (rip me a new 1 for this, I don't care) the BEST American wrestler ever in his prime (late 80's to late 90's)... OF COURSE he won't be able to jump from 1 ring to another (yes, he did that). Of course he won't be able to hold Vader in the air for 3-4 seconds anymore. BUT, the man can put on a good match still & uses his ability still left in a good manner. Does Kane put on like he used to? No. So why shouldn't he hang it up too? Does big Show? No. People are stuck on 52, and not actually watching him. His last 4-5 months, he's been solid. Not to mention, he's in good shape for 52 (anybody that argues, probably doesn't have a developed chest nor definition left in their flabby arms). Talkin about he wears a shirt because he's fat (and I don't mean you Kiel)... Yet the ppl that say it are scrawny teens or 300lbs whales... Looks lean to me. The ONLY thing ppl have is "he doesn't bring it like he could 20 years ago... Or he's 52." He can still wrestle though. I say keep on.
If you are the champion of a company (especially one that claims to be all about wrestling), you damned well better be out there having great matches. Whether or not Sting is at the level he was 20 years ago is irrelevant. Whether he is in "good condition for a 52 year old" is irrelevant. What matters is that he can't put on the level of match required for a World Champion.
If you think Sting's last 5 months have been "solid," I have a bridge to sell you.

Does Kane go like he used to? No. But the drop off isn't that big, and also has a lot to do with the change in his character over the years. Age is not the relevant factor. Look at guys like Dave Taylor, or the only slightly younger Robbie Brookside and Jerry Lynn. They manage to go out there and have much better matches than Sting.

Can Sting be an asset to TNA? Definitely! But not by wrestling every week and certainly not as champion.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 18th, '11, 13:10

cero2k wrote:
kiel297 wrote:
He was saying that Kane puts people over, not Show. And this is more due to booking than anything else (as various stories involving DDP and CM Punk have demonstrated Show's desire to help others get over)

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation