Essential Indy Shows You Should Watch

PWG, MLW, AAW, WWN, etc
yourcrapsweak

Essential Indy Shows You Should Watch

Post by yourcrapsweak » Oct 3rd, '12, 21:41

Many wrestling fans don't watch indy wrestling; some barely know of its existence. I wanna create a list of, what you or I would call an "essentials" list of indy shows that all wrestling fans should watch at some point in their lives. Don't just name your favorite shows, but name significant shows, shows that exhibit excellent wrestling, etc. I'll compile the list in this first post.

Also, when throwing out suggestions, put a little summary as to why it is imperative people should watch the show. My goal is to actually get people to watch more indy wrestling, because good lord is it great.
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

Big Red Machine

Re: Essential Indy Shows You Should Watch

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 3rd, '12, 21:52

There will be more of these coming from me, but if you are new to indy wrestling, the first thing I would try to watch is ROH's first PPV, Respect Is Earned. Not only is it an awesome show, but Dave Prazak and Lenny Leonard do an absolutely amazing job at introducing the product to you, guiding you through the show, and bringing you up to speed on both the current angles, the title picture, and the core concepts of the product as a whole.

It is probably the best thing I can think of as far as an "introduction to indy wrestling" goes.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 21st, '12, 10:46

I think that ROH's Death Before Dishonor VIII and Glory By Honor V deserve a spot on this list just because of sheer quality. If you watch these show and don't like them, then you won't like indy wrestling.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

RedSon

Post by RedSon » Oct 23rd, '12, 17:53

i would say that some shows were the current big names made a big impact are worth watching. joe vs punk, punk's last chapter, etc
The Man That Gravity Forgot!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 23rd, '12, 19:45

RedSon wrote:i would say that some shows were the current big names made a big impact are worth watching. joe vs punk, punk's last chapter, etc
Punk: The Final Chapter was a great show, but I wouldn't recommend it for someone looking to get into indy wrestling because it requires a lot of background knowledge of ROH. In order to truly appreciate the Punk vs. Cabana match, you need to understand the way that the two characters have interacted from their first days in ROH. The thing with Spanky and Gibson
Hidden text.
where Spanky turns on Gibson in the middle of the match
cuts much deeper if you have watched the friendship these guys have had over the course of the year.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Oct 23rd, '12, 23:29

Watch ROH's first triple shot from 06:
Dragon Gate Challenge
Supercard of Honor
Better Than Our Best

three of the best wrestling shows I've ever seen and they did them all during Wrestlemania weekend in 2006. There are just too many good things to say about these shows. WATCH THEM!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 23rd, '12, 23:44

badnewzxl wrote:Watch ROH's first triple shot from 06:
Dragon Gate Challenge
Supercard of Honor
Better Than Our Best

three of the best wrestling shows I've ever seen and they did them all during Wrestlemania weekend in 2006. There are just too many good things to say about these shows. WATCH THEM!
Especially Better Than Our Best. In terms of pure match-quality, that show has possibly the most consistent high-quality matches up and down the card. The only reason I don't think it is in the same league as Glory By Honor V, Night 2, Death Before Dishonor VIII, Summer Slam 2002, Unified, Fifth Year Festival: Finale, Threemendous III, Man Up, Supercard Of Honor II, Supercard Of Honor III. Fear, and Death Before Dishonor IV is because it doesn't have one particular match in the ****3/4-***** range

Actually... I think you can add all of those shows that I just named to this Essential indy show list.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation