The Effectiveness of Moves

Tell it to the world!!
yourcrapsweak

The Effectiveness of Moves

Post by yourcrapsweak » Oct 17th, '12, 17:15

I dunno if effectiveness is a word or not, but whatever. Anyway, I was just thinking, what the hell does a hurricanrana do? All the move does is roll the person over, and many times, the other guy is to his feet before the guy doing the move is! What the hell is the point of a hurricanrana, especially those from the top rope? It seems absolutely ridiculous to me, because not only does it not affect your opponent, but it's a hundred times more dangerous for the person performing the move than it is for the person taking it, even in kayfabe!
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: The Effectiveness of Moves

Post by cero2k » Oct 17th, '12, 17:34

here's a little trivia for you. Huracan Ramirez, who innovated the Huracarana was a movie character and not a wrestler during the 50s. He used the huracanrana cuz it looked pretty on camera, he did eventually wrestle and win titles, but as you can imagine, lucha libre in the 50s was easily winnable with a huracanrana. I don't think this was ever intended to look like a move that hurts your opponent, thou i do believe it's a move that could make you go dizzy or take you off your feet.

also, from wikipedia
This is a head scissors take down that ends in a double leg cradle pinning hold.

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Oct 17th, '12, 17:41

cero2k wrote:here's a little trivia for you. Huracan Ramirez, who innovated the Huracarana was a movie character and not a wrestler during the 50s. He used the huracanrana cuz it looked pretty on camera, he did eventually wrestle and win titles, but as you can imagine, lucha libre in the 50s was easily winnable with a huracanrana. I don't think this was ever intended to look like a move that hurts your opponent, thou i do believe it's a move that could make you go dizzy or take you off your feet.

also, from wikipedia
This is a head scissors take down that ends in a double leg cradle pinning hold.
Hurricanrana, headscissor takeover, same thing lol. I never knew that, but I find it amazing that people who care about psychology still do it, lol.
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 17th, '12, 18:31

yourcrapsweak wrote:I dunno if effectiveness is a word or not, but whatever. Anyway, I was just thinking, what the hell does a hurricanrana do? All the move does is roll the person over, and many times, the other guy is to his feet before the guy doing the move is! What the hell is the point of a hurricanrana, especially those from the top rope? It seems absolutely ridiculous to me, because not only does it not affect your opponent, but it's a hundred times more dangerous for the person performing the move than it is for the person taking it, even in kayfabe!
It flips the other guy onto his back, just like a snapmare. Top rope versions flip the opponent onto his back from a great height. I agee that it isn't a great move. I think it is best used as a reversal or as a pinning attempt.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Oct 18th, '12, 09:12

I think the word you want is efficacy? I probably misspelled it but meh.

I've been wondering this lately too. Not just with the hurricanrana but some other finishing moves too, especially slams. I don't see how one slam hurts more than another and therefore can be used as a finisher when they're essentially the same.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 18th, '12, 10:54

Serujuunin wrote:I think the word you want is efficacy? I probably misspelled it but meh.

I've been wondering this lately too. Not just with the hurricanrana but some other finishing moves too, especially slams. I don't see how one slam hurts more than another and therefore can be used as a finisher when they're essentially the same.
I don't know if there is a word for what YCW is talking about. I think it is some combination of effectiveness and believability.

As for the kayfabe logic of finishers, you have to look at it from an entirely kayfabe point of view. Some finishers aren't necessarily more kayfabe effective than normal moves that are similar to them. A nearfall off of a body slam should be just as kayfabe believable as a nearfall off of some other time where your slam the guy on his back form an equal height and with equal force, finisher or not. In some ways, a finisher is about kayfabe branding. Could Cena win with other moves? Probably. But he likes the AA so that is what he uses. Why is Hogan's leg drop more effective than that of someone else with a similar mass, coming down with a similar force? It isn't. Hogan just likes using the Leg Drop to finish of matches while other people like other moves.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3